owner66 Wrote:I mess with Arduino...Single-board computers like Arduino and Raspberry Pi are fantastic! At 72, I'm late to the game, but my son gave me a Beaglebone Black for Christmas, as I'd expressed curiosity about that particular machine. He's an Arduino man himself, although he also has a couple of Raspberry Pi's around the house.
I got a power supply and really sharp plastic case for the Beaglebone, fired it up and it worked! Right now, it uses its native Angstrom Linux as its OS, but I have what I need to image the particular Ubuntu Linux distro that's designed for it. I have a long learning curve ahead of me, with Bonescript, NodeJS etc. From what his Dad tells me, my 11-year-old grandson has become very adept at Arduino programming and uses them mostly in robotics applications - that's his chief interest.
Boy, how things change! This $45 board itself, with no extras hooked up to it, has 200 times the processing speed, over 500 times the RAM and 100 times the storage of my first off-brand PC, that cost me $1,000 in 1988 or 89 - including a few hundred for the 20-meg HD! And the Beaglebone also has snazzy HDMI zillion-color video output instead of green, blurry mono-CGA!
Johann


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)