Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What's your opinion on MicroMasters programs?
#24
mednat Wrote:That's my primary concern. If it were direct admission, I'd fully support it (even with the crazy high tuition), but my understanding is each school sets their own admission criteria. MIT decided that they will waive the GRE/GMAT for this program, but all other criteria stands. Some schools are even less definitive, with the worst not even saying exactly how many credits you receive for the MM portion of the coursework. I think grouping these credentials together is misleading, because each seem to function completely different from the other. I'm not sure how possible it would have been, but it would be nice if edx would have set some base criteria: ie: a MM is X courses/credits, that guarantee admission, or grant a certificate if passed. Instead they let each school decide what the credential is, and how it works.

MIT includes a review of your coursework in the micro masters, but have indicated a pass is not enough. On the FAQ, "What are my chances of being admitted question?" they respond

"This is a good question that we do not have a great answer for, since this is a new program. But, obviously, doing better in the online courses will increase your chances of gaining admittance to MIT. However, we should stress that simply having high grades will not guarantee admission – we look at all aspects of an applicant to include SCx scores, writing capability, etc."

I wish they would have modeled this more like the Harvard extension model. From what I've seen, that is the model I think would function best for these new micromaster type programs. Why would you need a test score, etc when a student has proven they can handle the work? I can't come up with an answer other than it makes the process more selective, which speaks more to elitism than to academic ability.

I think it's a case of them just figuring it out as they go as opposed to being difficult. Those questions are all filters we would use when picking a program, but I think the Average Joe Public doesn't do all the "if-then" investigation before enrolling. I think since it's new, it's a matter of them responding as these questions come up instead of being preemptive.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
What's your opinion on MicroMasters programs? - by cookderosa - 09-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting into competitive graduate programs chrisv 20 3,308 08-02-2026, 11:21 AM
Last Post: PauFraTat
  Harvard Kennedy School 10-Year Plan Eyes Increasing Online Programs Jonathan Whatley 0 1,096 06-06-2026, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  3 Woolf Partnership Programs - AI, CS, Software Engineering bjcheung77 16 4,922 05-25-2026, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Eleanor
  Self-Paced (not CBE) Graduate Programs freeloader 9 2,968 03-05-2026, 01:13 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Any MPA Programs (Master of Public Admin) Channy 29 9,800 02-24-2026, 03:14 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  List of cheap online Masters programs bjcheung77 8 12,224 12-22-2025, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Credit Transfer for OTHM/Qualifi Level 7 Diplomas to U.S. Master’s Programs Donato88 1 1,853 12-11-2025, 09:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 79 191,500 10-11-2025, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Next Steps After UMPI: Considering Law School vs. MBA Programs Mjake260 3 1,782 08-17-2025, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Prestigious and rigorous online programs in CS/AI soba 15 13,036 06-26-2025, 03:42 PM
Last Post: davewill

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)