06-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Here's my review of the 4 DAVAR courses I have completed-
Meteorology (SCI 103)
I rented the textbook from Amazon.com for $12. The headings on the study guide slide deck aligned with the topic headings in each chapter of the textbook. Using the textbook made it easier for me to study and put everything in context. I had no previous weather/meteorology experience other than growing up watching the weathermen talk about tornadoes. There were about 4 questions on my test that were from the book that were not on the slides or quizzes. Maybe 6 questions from the quizzes and 2 questions I had not seen before. The remaining questions were from the study guide but I am not sure I would have been able to answer correctly if I had not read the corresponding pages in the textbook. Essays were a bit difficult, they did not require long answers but did require very specific answers and were very much vocabulary heavy. I used the âbookmark linkâ and completed the essay questions first and made sure I was careful not to click âsubmitâ when I got to question 70, then I went back and completed the multiple choice because in earlier tests I was exhausted by the time I got to the essays.
Public Speaking (COM 101)
This test was quite different from the other Davar exams in that several of the multiple choice questions were applying knowledge to real life situations rather than being very specific vocabulary based. The questions would be a story and you would have to draw from your study knowledge to answer the question. Exam was the usual 60 multiple choice and 10 short-essay questions. The essays were very detailed questions that would be difficult if you took the exam cold or with just previous topic knowledge, but if you really study the materials you will be able to answer the essay questions. The exam also requires a single 5 minute persuasive speech to be submitted as a video file or link. I recommend writing a 700 word persuasive essay has a good thesis statement and to end with a call to action of what you want the listener to do. Dress professionally and donât wave your hands around too much. Record it with an ipad teleprompter app so you have good eye contact and you will be good.
American Government (POS 101)
I came into this test with lots of American History knowledge from homeschooling my daughter and helping her study for CLEP exams. The multiple choice portion was quite easy for me because it was so history heavy. The essays are another story- again they are very specific with vocabulary from the study materials requiring recall of lists, examples, and âcompare and contrastâ.
Intro to Computers (CIS 101)
Start here if you are going to test out the Davar exams. The exam is scored instantly so you donât have to wait. Just be aware that if you have âcomputerâ knowledge there is some dated information you may answer incorrectly if you donât study the materials. The essays require exact answers from the study materials. I'm a MAC user so the Windows operating system information was very difficult for me to absorb and I am sure I missed every question regarding Windows because I had no context even after studying.
Next one for me is Information Literacy.
Meteorology (SCI 103)
I rented the textbook from Amazon.com for $12. The headings on the study guide slide deck aligned with the topic headings in each chapter of the textbook. Using the textbook made it easier for me to study and put everything in context. I had no previous weather/meteorology experience other than growing up watching the weathermen talk about tornadoes. There were about 4 questions on my test that were from the book that were not on the slides or quizzes. Maybe 6 questions from the quizzes and 2 questions I had not seen before. The remaining questions were from the study guide but I am not sure I would have been able to answer correctly if I had not read the corresponding pages in the textbook. Essays were a bit difficult, they did not require long answers but did require very specific answers and were very much vocabulary heavy. I used the âbookmark linkâ and completed the essay questions first and made sure I was careful not to click âsubmitâ when I got to question 70, then I went back and completed the multiple choice because in earlier tests I was exhausted by the time I got to the essays.
Public Speaking (COM 101)
This test was quite different from the other Davar exams in that several of the multiple choice questions were applying knowledge to real life situations rather than being very specific vocabulary based. The questions would be a story and you would have to draw from your study knowledge to answer the question. Exam was the usual 60 multiple choice and 10 short-essay questions. The essays were very detailed questions that would be difficult if you took the exam cold or with just previous topic knowledge, but if you really study the materials you will be able to answer the essay questions. The exam also requires a single 5 minute persuasive speech to be submitted as a video file or link. I recommend writing a 700 word persuasive essay has a good thesis statement and to end with a call to action of what you want the listener to do. Dress professionally and donât wave your hands around too much. Record it with an ipad teleprompter app so you have good eye contact and you will be good.
American Government (POS 101)
I came into this test with lots of American History knowledge from homeschooling my daughter and helping her study for CLEP exams. The multiple choice portion was quite easy for me because it was so history heavy. The essays are another story- again they are very specific with vocabulary from the study materials requiring recall of lists, examples, and âcompare and contrastâ.
Intro to Computers (CIS 101)
Start here if you are going to test out the Davar exams. The exam is scored instantly so you donât have to wait. Just be aware that if you have âcomputerâ knowledge there is some dated information you may answer incorrectly if you donât study the materials. The essays require exact answers from the study materials. I'm a MAC user so the Windows operating system information was very difficult for me to absorb and I am sure I missed every question regarding Windows because I had no context even after studying.
Next one for me is Information Literacy.


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)