06-20-2017, 06:47 PM
videogamesrock Wrote:I advised people to use their 1098T forms to enter on their tax returns - schools do not issue 1098T's when grant money has been used to pay for tuition. I've also told people they can classify their education such as clep and other alternatives as continued education expenses, it won't qualify them for the tax credit but will offset some of that tax burden. I have never told anyone to incorrectly categorize their educational expenses to commit tax fraud, in fact I have told people that I do not believe that their graduation fees can be used towards the tax credit.
I've also stated that I've used student loans to indirectly achieve my goals, by using the loans to cover my daily living expenses while I've been able to use my income to cover closing costs. Loans pay for food, shelter, travel and income goes into savings to cover closing costs. This ma'am is not fraud this is playing by the legal rules created by the government. My books clearly show that my loan money went to costs of living and my income went to cover costs of doing business. In my 20's I paid an atrocious amount of income tax up to $60,000 annually not to mention the $15,000 that I sent to medicare and social security. So if the government wants to send me $5200 a year to go to school then I'll take it, and if they want to subsidize my insurance I'll take it, both are not fraud nor illegal. You clearly are upset that my tax structure automatically qualifies me for Pell when I fill out my FAFSA and for Obamacare subsidy, I look at it as a refund for all the years I've sent ridiculous amounts of money so that the government can waste it on fraud and abuse. However, if it were an option, I probably wouldn't buy insurance at all but I'd rather avoid the tax penalty so that they can cover the scam known as Obamacare.
When I log into the Obamacare exchange my insurance is automatically reduced, and the Pell shows up when I fill out my FAFSA.
Now the government guarantees my business loans and educational loans, but loans are made to be repaid and are not considered living off of the government. My wife and I are currently restructuring our mortgages because Fannie/Freddie will allow an individual to have ten mortgages each, but not if both are on the same mortgage. This is all about planning ahead and structuring your finances with the rules that the government hands us. I pay the government backed loan at $450 a month, I collect $975 a month from the tenant, after I depreciate the property I owe zero to the federal government and we are all creating legal commerce in a legitimate business venture.
You've asked me to give people financial advice, I've had several PM because of this thread to get more information which I gladly shared without expecting anything in return. But that fact that you are calling me a criminal and a tax cheat is uncalled for, everything I do is 100% aligned with the laws of the country, I do not bend the rules to achieve unlawful gain.
You never responded.
videogamesrock Wrote:The tax credit is only for courses taken at a Title IV school. In order to receive the maximum benefit the school must confirm on your 1098T attendance and if you were full time or part time. Unfortunately the ACE courses will not qualify.
Pell Grant users greatly benefit from this as they can take free courses and get money back when filing.
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post227480
sanantone Wrote:You can only get money back for costs that weren't covered by grants and scholarships. If you claim tuition and fees that weren't paid for by grants and scholarships, you're violating tax law. Online and software tax packages should automatically deduct the amount of grants and scholarships from the amount of tuition billed as long as you enter the information honestly. Tax preparers should already know to do this.
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post228474
When I was thinking financial advice, I wasn't thinking tax law. We have enrolled agents, tax accountants, and tax attorneys for a reason. If people want to get advice on tax law from some random guy on the Internet, then I guess Darwinism might take its course.
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)