Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
What I've Learned So Far in Grad School
#14
(10-04-2017, 11:38 PM)studiousimp Wrote: Thank you, corpsole2, for this inspiring share. Sometimes it's easy to forget that within this community of extraordinary education "hackers" exists the potential to change trajectories as you have. I'm inspired and grateful for the reminder.

I want to say something, as well, about HES. I recommended HES to my niece who had not performed to her potential in college. She took the opportunity at Harvard Extwnsion School seriously, working and living with her parents, saving everything for a year and moving to Boston. It's a different way than we generally consider here but it was a phenomenal opportunity. Through her Biology program she did stem cell research and ultimately assisted in running a lab for one of the top researchers in that field. She also ran for and was elected to the Harvard graduate student government along with students from the Business, Law and Medical schools because Extension is one of the grad schools. And finally, upon graduation she got the kind of job that would never have considered her before all these experiences and accomplishments so while it's not the way many of us can or will use our Big Three degrees, it IS possible and, just like this thread about a world-class experience at Hopkins, it's achievable... not for everyone, but for some.

I think young people should definitely take advantage of family support when they have it. People who have family support are very fortunate. Some people either don't have living parents or don't have the option to live with their parents. I fell into the latter category and later into the former. Fortunately for my younger sister, she was able to live with me while she went to a traditional public university, saved a lot on rent, and didn't have much debt upon graduation. I had to be the breadwinner and support both of us on less than $24,000 per year along with the little bit of money she made from her part-time job, but I'm glad that I was able to give my younger sister that opportunity.  

Unfortunately, I now make a whole lot more than she does even though I earned my bachelor's and master's online at Podunk State Universities, but things don't always turn out as planned.  Sad
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: What I've Learned So Far in Grad School - by sanantone - 10-05-2017, 01:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California options in Mental Health Grad Schools termdec 2 819 07-26-2026, 07:49 PM
Last Post: termdec
  UNO Maverick Flex Path CBE Grad Cert in Executive Business Jonathan Whatley 4 1,428 06-08-2026, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Harvard Kennedy School 10-Year Plan Eyes Increasing Online Programs Jonathan Whatley 0 1,134 06-06-2026, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Next Steps After UMPI: Considering Law School CFPhopeful 6 1,777 03-10-2026, 10:02 AM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 35 33,574 01-26-2026, 04:18 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Italian Online Master in Economics & Finance for 4.5k from a Top-School David1477 26 17,461 12-12-2025, 07:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Nexford University Individual NA Grad and Undergrad Courses, ~$500 Each Jonathan Whatley 0 1,574 11-14-2025, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Are ACE credits a deal breaker for getting into Certified Anesthesia Assistant school zauh 16 4,713 11-13-2025, 09:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Qualifi Level 7 Cyber — Grad Credit or Master’s msmjj01 2 2,526 10-25-2025, 11:48 PM
Last Post: msmjj01
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 51 36,214 09-29-2025, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Sagan

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)