Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics
#9
I’m working on TESU dual degrees of BA Math and BS Data Science and Analytics.  I can give you my degree plan if it is helpful, but it includes some credits that might not be applicable for you like GED College Ready + Credit, credits for an FAA Pilot License and TESU math courses not necessary for the BS DS&A degree.  

I started last June (2017) and by the end of March (2018) will have over 90 credits applied to each degree so it is possible to move through it pretty quickly if determined. 

I originally was doing just a BA in Math (2017 catalog) but then the data science degree caught me eye.  I enrolled in that degree program as well (2018 catalog) and took the first of the Stastics.com courses last September.   Of the 10 required Area of Study courses, I have completed 6, I am currently taking two more, and the other two should be done by May (2018) or so (waiting for next course dates). 

It does require figuring out logistics given that some mandatory courses are given only a few times a year but it is manageable.  If really determined, the AOS can probably be completed in about 6 months.  The courses are only a month long so you can move through them pretty quick schedule permitting.

The Statistics.com courses are a bit expensive but if you qualify as a full time student, you get an academic discount.  They also periodically issue discount codes/promotions via email which stack with the academic discount.  The courses normally run about $550 per 3 unit course.  Using the combined discounts mentioned, I got a two of the courses for about $360 but that requires being able to jump on the deals when offered (both in terms of money for the course as well as time to do the course).

Beyond the above mentioned courses, I have a few of the free credit source discussed around here like the Sophia Developing Effective Teams and the Fire Safety online courses. 
I tried the free cyber security ones but found them horrendously tedious and not that great.  It was quicker, easier, and far more enjoyable to abort that effort and just take things like Medical Terminology from Straighterline for the credits instead.

The rest of my credits were mostly Straighterline general ed requirements stuff and Aleks Precalc and Statistics.

One good piece of information regarding the BS DS&A degree that I found out, Aleks statistics qualifies for the Statistics AOS for that degree so you can take that instead of the Statistics.com statistics course to save a few dollars and time but make sure you understand the material.  Stats and math skills are pretty central in a few of the Predictive Analytics courses as well as the Forecasting course.

If you have any questions about the Stastics.com courses I’d be happy to answer whatever I can. 

In general, the degree does cover a huge amount of content in the AOS but you do have to apply yourself and commit to learning what is taught since the courses are only 1 month long.  On the flip side since they come into TESU through ACE, it’s not graded so if you falter on one it doesn’t affect your TESU GPA if that matters to you.  

The courses though are quite current in terms of tools and techniques and I’ve found it to be a pretty good curriculum.
[-] The following 4 users Like poneill's post:
  • akr680, jeremiah_jn, rvm, Yenisei
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics - by poneill - 02-22-2018, 09:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK-based, 25yr IT pro, planning TESU BS Cybersecurity — plan sanity check smilingbuddha 4 1,593 09-26-2026, 12:31 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  TESU BACS Interested justsomeguy 3 451 09-21-2026, 01:56 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Information TESU Introduces Accelerated Courses (4-week format) animuscerebri 25 5,440 09-21-2026, 01:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU BSAT APS 400, 401 402 Alts? EvilSandman 3 2,176 09-20-2026, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Phracker Jacks
  TESU Bachelor Data Analytics after Statistics.com is gone homeschoolmom1 1 335 09-14-2026, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  TESU Foreign Language BA resistk 13 5,468 09-09-2026, 10:46 PM
Last Post: degreedude80
  TESU Foreign Language B.A. -- degree planning help degreedude80 6 535 09-09-2026, 10:01 PM
Last Post: degreedude80
  TESU ILA to BA degree - apply now or wait? degreedude80 9 721 09-09-2026, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sunny21
  Coursera Google Advanced Data Analytics Professional Certificate jazzcat 1 378 08-29-2026, 11:09 AM
Last Post: matycon
  Coursera Google Cloud Data Analytics Professional Certificate jazzcat 0 275 08-20-2026, 11:46 AM
Last Post: jazzcat

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)