Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My confusing journey to picking a grad school
#13
(03-06-2018, 05:43 AM)Ideas Wrote: I'm really liking that there's the EdS in the education field. It's like the EdD minus the dissertation. It seems safer than some other programs where there's no degree on the way to the next degree. Also, I like how the education field degrees tend to be cheaper.

So far for doctorates, I'm thinking of the EdD or else the DBA at an NA school (proably Taft), as I don't want to run up too much in loans. I feel the DBA might be harder and I think I would wish I went to an RA school someday. And as I said, the EdS seems like a great step.

I'm less worried about oral defense of dissertation now. I'd consider schools that required it, especially if it can be done without traveling. The DBA would require one, and it says they do them through webcam sometimes. I'm starting to become more sure that I will do at least the EdS degree or similar.

I know it's a little strange to think so far ahead, but it's (perhaps) not that far ahead. I could feasibly knock out the MBA WGU classes by the end of November (although it may require pushing my BA-CS until June 2019). Then it takes some time for the actual conferral, but at certain schools, I could probably already start a course toward the EdS this December. Of course this would only happen if I decide soon and tried to make it happen fast.

Or, in the very unlikely event I found a PhD/EdD/DBA which didn't require a Masters that made sense. Even if I found one, I like the idea of having at least one stepping stone.

I've become less interested in foreign and NA degrees, at least for my first Masters. Since the DBA I found is NA, I am really leaning toward doing the EdS/EdD. But this could change if I find something cheap.

If Capella can be believed, a doctorate which has a capstone can be done faster. They're saying the capstone could possibly be done in 6 months. https://www.capella.edu/blogs/cublog/dif...e-project/ However, I doubt I could find a capstone program that was also on the cheap side.

The EdS is barely a degree. Education is the only field that offers this intermediate award. It's useful when working in the K-12 world, but utterly unknown everywhere else.

If you're considering either a DBA or an EdD, stop. Those are two entirely different disciplines. It would be a good idea to commit to one field or the other; your doctorate will define you for the rest of your life. They're not interchangeable.
Doctorate in something
Doctorate in something else
MBA
BS in something
BA in something else
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: My confusing journey to picking a grad school - by Sagan - 03-06-2018, 09:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California options in Mental Health Grad Schools termdec 2 816 07-26-2026, 07:49 PM
Last Post: termdec
  Journey - UK Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership OtterDen 14 13,601 06-30-2026, 09:58 AM
Last Post: kb24bi8
  UNO Maverick Flex Path CBE Grad Cert in Executive Business Jonathan Whatley 4 1,424 06-08-2026, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Harvard Kennedy School 10-Year Plan Eyes Increasing Online Programs Jonathan Whatley 0 1,132 06-06-2026, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 38 15,740 03-11-2026, 11:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Next Steps After UMPI: Considering Law School CFPhopeful 6 1,775 03-10-2026, 10:02 AM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 35 33,567 01-26-2026, 04:18 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Italian Online Master in Economics & Finance for 4.5k from a Top-School David1477 26 17,450 12-12-2025, 07:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Nexford University Individual NA Grad and Undergrad Courses, ~$500 Each Jonathan Whatley 0 1,574 11-14-2025, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Are ACE credits a deal breaker for getting into Certified Anesthesia Assistant school zauh 16 4,707 11-13-2025, 09:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)