Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
#11
(01-13-2019, 01:46 PM)Mil0 Wrote: If one could dedicate their full time to the BALS/BSBA route, how long does it typically take? 

I had originally planned to take the EM associates degree at my local community college and go the Associates > Bachelors > Masters route in case anything came up that prevented me from working as hard as I want. That way I would still have a degree. For example, I deployed to the USVI in October of 2017 and ended up being there for a year. We didn't have power or running water for 6+ months. Cell phone service was non existent and even today it's a pile of garbage. I know that life happens and I want to be realistic about that so I don't set myself up for failure. 

Is that inefficient or is there something that I'm not seeing that would be a big negative for doing that?

The only value in getting the AA first is if you need the AA credential for something work-related. Once you have your bachelors or masters it won't matter at all. Worst case it will slow you down and it will cost more.

If you really want an associates degree, you can work on an associates degree in parallel with the bachelors at TESU if you like, in the latter case it won't cost more or take more time. Typically the same courses that apply to the bachelor's can be used towards the AA. You'd just end up graduating with both at the same time instead of getting the AA first and then the bachelor's later.

(01-13-2019, 01:46 PM)Mil0 Wrote: Is a degree from TESU truly as "valuable" as from a brick & mortar school with a well known reputation in DC (I live 15 minutes outside of DC). I've read the spiel from the big 3 about how their degrees are the same but I don't know how that compares to real life.

There are plenty of TESU graduates that have gone onto greatness, including at least one senator. Typically unless a degree from an ivy league or prestigious school is needed for your job then it won't matter as long as the school is accredited. You'll want regional accreditation (which TESU has) if you want to get into a good masters program. So that should be fine.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - by Merlin - 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,659 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Survey: Majority of Americans Say College Not Affordable LevelUP 15 1,776 09-25-2026, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  College costs top $100,000 at 15 schools LevelUP 0 376 08-21-2026, 01:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  This College Now Verifies Students’ Real-World Skills To Help Them Get Jobs LevelUP 0 411 08-17-2026, 08:32 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The Rise Of The Vibe School In College Admissions LevelUP 7 1,438 08-05-2026, 04:33 PM
Last Post: lickington
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 12 7,109 07-22-2026, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tomicavols
  College Students Are Testing at the Level of 10-Year-Olds LevelUP 8 1,960 07-08-2026, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Academic ‘boot camp’ helps veterans build college confidence LevelUP 0 565 06-30-2026, 07:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Over 41 Million Adults Say They Want To Enroll In College, But Will They? LevelUP 2 767 06-12-2026, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  5 Smart Tips for Choosing a College and Major in the AI Era LevelUP 0 676 05-31-2026, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)