Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
#55
(02-01-2019, 02:04 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 01:39 PM)rvm Wrote: Mil0, Aleks has changed a bit since I used it last year.  Before you reset anything, you may want to contact Aleks support to see if there is any way they can help you return to your 72%.   If you reset, I think you MIGHT wipe out everything you've done so far - though you may want to do that and completely start over.... but then again, you may not.  

To request another knowledge check, logout of your student account and log back into your master account - that login info is located in your initial welcome email from Aleks.  Then follow these instructions:  https://mhedu.force.com/aleks/s/article/...Student?dc=

I'm sorry that happened!  Keep us posted.

I tried assigning myself a new knowledge check but that was a progress knowledge check and it was extremely difficult compared to the comprehensive knowledge check. Everything that I was getting were pre-calc questions, which was confusing at best. 

Aleks support staff replied to my inquiry and said that they couldn't delete my initial ACE check but that they could create a new comprehensive knowledge check, which is what I needed. It is really annoying to have to redo that but I should have known better than to think the ACE knowledge check really would let me log out and pause it. I'm still not sure how I only got 72% on the original one considering I took my time and worked through all of the problems. I don't like that it doesn't seem to tell you which answers you specifically got wrong because I'd like to know if I'm really getting it wrong, or if I'm just inputting my answers incorrectly since it's knew to me to format equations this way. 

Here is to hoping I'm able to start over and get through everything today! At least I'm snowed in and have no where to go! Smile

The issues you are having are the reasons many people skip Aleks for an alternative solutions.  

Even though I understand how to use it, and was careful to check for typos and negative signs, I scored in the 90s on college algebra & precalc (you cannot get credit for both college & precalc) & statistics, then I scored in the upper 70s on trig - something I know more about than precalc.  Sometimes, I think Aleks' graphing tool doesn't record everything correctly.  They have good tutorials on the basics of their tool but they have terrible tutorials when it comes to the finer details of using their tool.  I learned by trial and error when the tool would not record some data I entered ... over and over.   

As well as the graphing tool problem, you will lose points if you have a question with multiple parts and you make one tiny mistake on any part. You must answer each part of the question correctly in order to get any credit for that question.  

Here's a potential way to beat Aleks at their own game.  You paid for Aleks for the month, correct?  Use it as much as possible for one month for everything you want to get credit for:  college algebra, trig, stats.  Go through as many problems as you can in courses you want credit for and work through anything you are having problems with:  see the pie chart for your weak areas.   Before your monthly subscription is over, cancel your subscription (check Aleks cancellation rules as they may have changed).   Then... get a new subscription using another email address and perhaps another credit card.  You will have taken a month to figure out how Aleks works and now you can start over fresh with new initial knowledge checks for the courses you want.  If you're prepared, you can knock 3 math courses in one month and gain 9 credits!
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!) - by rvm - 02-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Todd Wallack WP: For less than $100, I clicked my way toward a college degree in days LevelUP 32 4,414 09-28-2026, 04:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Survey: Majority of Americans Say College Not Affordable LevelUP 15 1,670 09-25-2026, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  College costs top $100,000 at 15 schools LevelUP 0 341 08-21-2026, 01:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  This College Now Verifies Students’ Real-World Skills To Help Them Get Jobs LevelUP 0 377 08-17-2026, 08:32 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  The Rise Of The Vibe School In College Admissions LevelUP 7 1,328 08-05-2026, 04:33 PM
Last Post: lickington
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 12 7,027 07-22-2026, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tomicavols
  College Students Are Testing at the Level of 10-Year-Olds LevelUP 8 1,882 07-08-2026, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Academic ‘boot camp’ helps veterans build college confidence LevelUP 0 543 06-30-2026, 07:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Over 41 Million Adults Say They Want To Enroll In College, But Will They? LevelUP 2 738 06-12-2026, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  5 Smart Tips for Choosing a College and Major in the AI Era LevelUP 0 652 05-31-2026, 04:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)