Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Advice needed - looking to earn CS credits
#4
(04-19-2020, 04:20 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 12:10 PM)TwinMom Wrote: All those courses can be taken through Study.com but you'd have to check with Georgia Tech to see how  or if they transfer. Also, whatever hoops you'd have jump through as an International student.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to have taken the core CS courses via an actual college or university to be considered for the OMSCS. While they don't specifically state non-ACE in their requirements, they will look at your transcript as part of the approval process and I suspect they will probably not consider ACE credit courses on the same level as university courses. They are trying to only invite candidates who they think will excel in their program, so they want people who have demonstrated high academic rigor.

I'm also considering the OMSCS program if I don't move on to a PhD program elsewhere, but if I decided to go that way, I'd probably go back to WGU to complete an undergrad CS degree first so I would have proper university CS credits on my transcript. My thoughts are that we know that GA Tech accepts WGU courses while we don't know that they will accept ACE. For an international student, WGU isn't an option, but there are other ways to get those credits from community colleges and other online schools.

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you think accredited courses from community colleges would be fine? I have been doing some research and most state universities charge a tuition rate over $350 per credit hour for out-of-state students. I think community colleges should on average charge a cheaper rate. Any thoughts? And do you know where I can find out more about community colleges offering CS credits for non-degree seeking students? There are too many out there and I'd like to narrow down the options.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Advice needed - looking to earn CS credits - by jonsnow - 04-19-2020, 05:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CS50 on EdX issues ACE credits?! Robson 21 17,109 Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PCC "Free" Credits - A Slight Increase MEarlBITW 12 3,444 04-26-2026, 10:22 AM
Last Post: MEarlBITW
  Core complete from sophia credits? CocaCola 4 3,239 01-11-2026, 06:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Overview: Earning Upper-Division Credits Through Study.com bjcheung77 0 1,574 12-11-2025, 07:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Not getting ACE credits for Microsoft certs on Credly Pikachu 1 1,590 07-26-2025, 07:24 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Sophia Credits Expire for transfer ande 3 5,979 06-28-2025, 03:52 PM
Last Post: MedicOne
  Universities in CA that accept Ace (Study, SL, and Sophia) credits Coachr21 11 4,705 06-21-2025, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Sophia Advice - Best Practices bmills072200 4 3,017 03-23-2025, 02:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits from Study.com for transcript credit? Wulfofcali 2 3,128 02-19-2025, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Wulfofcali
  Online credits but for the UK questionquestions 6 6,737 01-12-2025, 07:33 PM
Last Post: JPN

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)