Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Back to school after 23 years
#18
(02-02-2021, 01:20 PM)carebear_007 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 12:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 12:10 PM)carebear_007 Wrote: Next month? That's awesome.

I zoned in on TESU because it was easier to find a clear path as to which classes I'd need to take and where to take them. I'd love to be able to see what a path at UMPI would look like. I think I'll try to see if I can put together a similar program for other schools.

With UMPI, the fastest and easiest route, especially for a BSBA, is probably to complete everything at Sophia and then complete the rest at UMPI. This is what ashkir here has done and you can find posts about it here. They have other degrees besides a BSBA and the advice for those would be about the same. Everything at Sophia would most likely leave you with somewhere between 30 and 40 credits to complete at UMPI. Since it's competency based, they don't charge you any more or less if you take 1 class in a term or 5 of them.

(02-02-2021, 12:16 PM)carebear_007 Wrote: WOW! You did that so quickly! It was SVC. Thank you! 

I attended way, way, waaaaay back in 1998. I'll find out to see if they have any of my records. Would I just ask them for it or would that then be when I'd need to make sure that I have already applied for a school so that they can transfer them to see if any of the courses (or modules as SVC called them) would count for anything?

I have absolutely no idea what the certificate you completed was because some schools do offer non-credit certificates in addition to credit-based ones. So, you'd want to contact them and ask for the following:

1) Do they still have a record of you attending at all? (They should!)
2) If yes to the above, were these courses for credit or not?
3) If they were for credit, how can you get an unofficial transcript emailed to you? An unofficial transcript should be free.

Now, with some further digging, I see that SVC/SVU was nationally accredited. Which means that neither COSC nor TESU will touch any credits you might have. But Excelsior might. This would possibly allow you to get a BALS at Excelsior more quickly and easily. You've already said that you are interested in a BSBA or psych degree, but I throw that out there as a possible option.
I just called SVU and the person told me that they get mistaken for SVC all the time. He said that they don't have anything to do with SVC but referred me to Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) and said to start there to see if they might have it. I called BPPE and they told me that SVC became a part of Western Career College and SVC became exempt from BPPE and when they do that, they don't have to provide info and could have possibly destroyed my records. Upon googling Western Career College, I found out that they're now Carrington College....sigh... So now I'm on the phone with them to see if they have my transcript and how I could go about obtaining them.

(02-02-2021, 12:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Silicon Valley College was an NA school, so your only options for transferring credits is Excelsior or WGU, I think.

I would take a bunch of Sophia courses to see how you do.  They have a lot of business courses, and you may find that they're "ok" at worst, and you might actually like them or at least be able to get through them.

I'd say that the problem with a Psych degree is that you can't really get a job with a bachelor's in Psych, you need a Master's to do anything in the field.  That being said, if you just want a degree, it works to get you over that bar.

And honestly, if you just want "any" degree, I'd consider a BALS/BSLS at any of the Big 3, or UMPI.  And, if you're just doing that, then you should seriously consider the price, and go with that.  COSC will be the cheapest BY FAR of the Big 3; UMPI may or may not end up being the cheapest, it depends on how quickly you can get through.

Oh my gosh, yes. I'm open to getting "any" degree at this point. Still trying to investigate how to obtain my records with SVC. If I they do exist and have any credit, then it would now play a big part as to where I go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Back to school after 23 years - by carebear_007 - 02-01-2021, 11:16 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by monchevy - 02-01-2021, 11:34 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by Merlin - 02-02-2021, 02:24 AM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by monchevy - 02-02-2021, 12:15 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by davewill - 02-02-2021, 05:20 AM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by P226mem - 02-02-2021, 07:36 AM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by rachel83az - 02-02-2021, 08:57 AM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by monchevy - 02-02-2021, 09:06 AM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by rachel83az - 02-02-2021, 10:19 AM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by ss20ts - 02-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Back to school after 23 years - by rachel83az - 02-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Back to school after 23 years - by rachel83az - 02-02-2021, 12:18 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by dfrecore - 02-02-2021, 01:43 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by dfrecore - 02-02-2021, 12:48 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by tallpilot - 02-03-2021, 01:31 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by monchevy - 02-03-2021, 04:54 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by davewill - 02-03-2021, 06:44 PM
RE: Back to school after 23 years - by davewill - 02-03-2021, 06:58 PM
Back to school after 23 years - by rachel83az - 02-03-2021, 05:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employer: So where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years? LevelUP 1 123 10-04-2026, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  The Rise Of The Vibe School In College Admissions LevelUP 7 1,454 08-05-2026, 04:33 PM
Last Post: lickington
  The SAT Is Back—And This Time, It’s Not Going Anywhere LevelUP 12 1,468 07-02-2026, 01:25 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  We Laughed at “Idea Guys” for 10 Years—Now They’re Top Tech Founders LevelUP 0 599 04-09-2026, 03:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Medical School Choices - Extra Options Available bjcheung77 0 1,142 03-16-2026, 11:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CS degree for research grad school ECE focus Miaki 5 2,267 02-13-2026, 09:50 AM
Last Post: mundi5
  Looking for a school for science classes like Chem Heath 4 2,099 01-25-2026, 08:36 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Commonwealth University College of Medicine - $18.5K (4 years total) bjcheung77 7 4,948 12-31-2025, 08:55 AM
Last Post: degreedude80
  Oakford Academy - International Language School bjcheung77 6 4,405 12-15-2025, 11:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mergers, Partnerships, Private school choice bjcheung77 0 1,032 11-27-2025, 02:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)