02-15-2021, 10:01 AM
(02-15-2021, 07:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: "Working through college" isn't really an option when 40 hours a week @ $15/hr only equates to about $30k/year before taxes and that's nowhere near enough to go to "most" "worthwhile" schools. If you haven't got a college education (and most of the students who are struggling with student loans are probably first-generation college grads) then it can be hard to find a job that actually pays well.
I do agree that something needs to be done. But encouraging students to worth through college, especially when college is already a stressful time, isn't the solution.
At one point in college back in my youth, I did work a full time job. I made minimum wage which wasn't anywhere near $15 an hour. I also really struggled to get my school work done because I worked so much and my grades suffered. I also had bills to pay - car insurance, rent, groceries, etc. There was not a dime left to save. I was at a community college which wasn't free. Not even close. Today that same community college is almost $800 per class for a 3 credit course without any labs plus the textbook.
Everyone doesn't come from a happy home life with supportive parents. Many parents never contribute a dime towards their kids' college education. My sister worked 3 jobs when she was in college. She didn't have any money leftover to save. There were months she didn't have money for food. I always made sure she had food. I couldn't help with her tuition, but I could make her food. She had a partial scholarship, grants, and student loans and still struggled to pay for college and a place to live.
Sounds great to get a job paying $15 an hour while in college, but the reality of it is that most college students won't be able to find a job paying that much. In many parts of the nation, minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour. In those areas, you'll need a college education to earn $15 an hour. In areas where minimum wage is higher, the cost of living is also higher so everything costs more. It's not nearly as easy as many people make it sound.



![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)