Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
MS Data Science/Data Analytics options?
#15
(05-28-2022, 08:35 AM)allvia Wrote:
(05-28-2022, 07:39 AM)Latesterna Wrote: I don't really have an issue with religious content. I'm queer and religious universities can request a Title IX exception granting them the right to discriminate against queer folks. I don't know if Eastern has requested (or been granted) this exception but I'd prefer not to risk it. Even mentioning you're queer on a non-school social media page can have a student removed from some religious schools.


"The University expressly prohibits any form of discrimination and harassment on the basis of any University-recognized protected classification, including sex, race, color, age, religion,national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, or disability in any decision regarding admissions,employment, or involvement in a University program or activity in accordance with the letter and spirit of federal, state, and local non-discrimination and equal opportunity laws, such as Titles VIand VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, TheAge Discrimination in Employment Act, The Americans with Disabilities Act and ADA Amendments Act, The Equal Pay Act, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, and the Borough of Eastern Ordinance on Non-Discrimination" - https://www.eastern.edu/sites/default/fi...onduct.pdf

Eastern University's Title IX page(s)- https://www.eastern.edu/about/offices-ce...misconduct

I'm choosing to stick with secular schools because they don't even have the option to request a title IX exception whereas I could be in a religious school's program and they could request (and be granted) an exception, at which point I might have spent lots of time and money on a degree program that I could get removed from. Historically, schools aren't even required to refund tuition when this happens.

It's great that Eastern has chosen not to discriminate against its students at this point in time but given the long history of religious schools kicking out queer students, I'd prefer to not put myself in a situation where I'd be trusting a religious school not to take advantage of the legal right to discriminate against its students.

I'm really leaning towards Truman state or GTech. I'd like to move towards data science work in the future and think a masters in DS could be a good way to move from my current DA position to DE or DS.

I was considering WGU but on their subreddit I'd finding that most people are taking 3 - 4 semesters, so $16k if it's 2 years.

I'm seeing a lot of people in GTech taking far longer than 2 years to graduate, which would be find but I'd really like to be graduated in 2 - 3 years at the very most.

At the moment I've decided to apply to both and see what happens while I consider other options.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? - by Latesterna - 05-30-2022, 04:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations for a Business Analytics Program EthanMDFN 4 735 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Conversion/transfer options from ENEB into another uni to be awarded their Masters? DegreeNerd 27 1,604 Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Last Post: jfreemansh
  Arcada University: Big Data Analytics (Specialisation studies) Master-level 30 ECTS animuscerebri 3 3,093 10-02-2026, 11:09 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Master of Science in Finance Mint Berry Crunch 3 1,085 08-18-2026, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  California options in Mental Health Grad Schools termdec 2 759 07-26-2026, 07:49 PM
Last Post: termdec
  Harvard Extension Data Science, Digital Media Design ALMs Renamed to Include AI Jonathan Whatley 0 1,363 06-10-2026, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Illinois Gies MS in Business Analytics and Possible Future Master’s Online Jonathan Whatley 2 3,243 05-28-2026, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Expectation vs. Reality for Political Science Master's cfornesa 3 1,728 02-03-2026, 10:51 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  PhD after WGU MS in Data Analytics? pluggingalong 6 2,237 01-03-2026, 01:08 AM
Last Post: ifomonay
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 20 16,911 12-25-2025, 10:01 AM
Last Post: EliEverIsAHero

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)