Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Guidance Requested: Is this right for me?
#7
(01-13-2023, 02:55 PM)allvia Wrote: My opinion would be the Marketing Major, as it gives you an 'Art and Communication' based Business Degree (which works for most all career paths).  UMPI, as you know, does offer the BABA - Marketing, but since you're active military you may want to consider TESU's BSBA-Marketing as well (https://www.tesu.edu/business/undergradu.../marketing).  Active military can use TECEPS towards residency, and the Marketing concentration can be completed through alt credits, and they have a low tuition rate for the two courses you must take with them.  Either are good choices (UMPI or TESU), for you I would say the major difference would be TESU is go completely at your own pace (one 'course' at a time, no rush). Where UMPI is competency, so it is all about getting as much done in the shortest amount of time for the dollar value (the more time it takes to complete the more it costs).  Can't go wrong with either choice.
I only need to take 2 courses with them? That might actually be better then. Unfortunately, the Navy does not academically support Sailors who are in their last year of service so all the expenses would be out of pocket. I’ll try to find some scholarships or grants as I’d like to save my GI Bill for a graduate degree. I honestly thought UMPI would be my best bet but guess I’ll have to research TESU

(01-13-2023, 05:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Few things....
UMPI is on a set schedule and does not work around military schedules. This could be an issue for anyone in the military.

The Marketing Concentration is not graphic design oriented at all. Not a single graphic design course in the program. There are several LONG papers. By long, I mean 15+ pages is the minimum. One of the professors is notorious for being a PITA.

Word of advice....Don't talk to the enrollment specialists. They're not UMPI employees. They are used car salespeople from the 70's basically. They know little about YourPace and quite often give out false information.

What are you looking to do after the military? That might be worth considering when trying to figure out a degree. Getting a degree that helps in the military and post-military life should be the end goal.
Ideally I’d like to stay in the creative space. Visual communications, UX/UI, and other artsy things. I like creating and telling stories. I do know that most of the jobs would require a degree in that specific field so I’d probably have an easier time getting into some generic government communications job. I don’t really want to do that but I know it would be easy for me to leverage my military experience there. At the end of the day I just care about putting food on the table. I feel like the way things are going, it might be best to put my little dreams on hold for a bit just to make sure we’re okay. 

This is kind of why I wanted someone to knock me around a bit because there is a good chance I don’t know what I’m talking about. My plan was basically get a degree and then use the GI Bill for a graduate degree later in the road. Maybe even pivot to the arts again but I don’t know. 

I am in my last year of the Navy at a shore command and they are thankfully very accommodating when it comes to education and other forms of self improvement. If things go my way, I’ll actually have a lot of free time this year. I have a Skillbridge application pending and I also have a lot of leave days that I would use for school if needed. 

The only problem I’m facing currently is making sure this doesn’t completely empty my wallet. Unless one is retiring from 20 years or more of service, the Navy will not help finance your schooling in the last year. Everything I do now would be out of pocket. 

The goal is to be more marketable and to keep a roof over my babies’ heads.

(01-13-2023, 03:58 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU would be a good choice for military. It's fairly cheap. You can see all of the cheap/alt-credit friendly degrees here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap They do technically have an Art degree, but good luck finding an inexpensive source for the required credits: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/art

UMPI is also a good choice, but be warned that their Marketing degree is reputed to be a bit "hefty". That is, it will take longer than most of the other degrees. Instead of being able to finish in 2 or 3 8-week sessions, it might take you 4 or 5. Still an inexpensive degree, though. The English degree is another one that's a bit longer, but it's completely doable for many people in 2 or 3 sessions.
Currently I am mostly set on getting an English degree. Would you say it’s easier to complete it at TESU instead of UMPI? I’m trying to compare costs and speed
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Guidance Requested: Is this right for me? - by topsecretowl - 01-13-2023, 05:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie looking for some guidance Melbies 7 2,552 11-20-2025, 03:59 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Guidance on classes so far Tricialk 2 1,352 06-23-2025, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Tricialk
  Guidance on moving forward jonho 6 1,978 10-07-2024, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First post, political science class guidance needed Daniel14 6 2,069 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  ? help and/or confirmation requested Slammyelis 3 1,439 11-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Assistance Requested to Craft Solid Path: UMPI/Charter Oak State College ARG 23 8,145 09-26-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Feedback requested: BUS 323 - Fundamentals of Supply Chain and Logistics Tswede 3 2,048 07-25-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: grogers14
  B.A. Project Management Your Pace Guidance Radcon7 23 7,620 04-17-2023, 02:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Guidance on future UMPI classes, please help galileom 4 2,206 01-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: galileom

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)