01-14-2023, 03:40 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2023, 03:46 PM by topsecretowl.
Edit Reason: More info
)
(01-14-2023, 01:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:By that logic no one should be getting degrees since everything can be learned online these days.(01-14-2023, 01:01 PM)topsecretowl Wrote: I definitely want to save my GI Bill for a master. Can I ask, in your opinion, how hard would it be for someone to earn an undergrad in one field and then a master in something not super related? For example, if I did go the English BA route, do you think that would hinder me later on if I wanted to get a master in visual communication or design?
I think the reason why I don't want to do the marketing degree is I think it would put me in a box. I suppose the same could be said about the English degree... But in my uneducated opinion, it seems like the English degree still leaves room for growth in other industries. Neither would hurt me but I feel like the English one is like a tree with more branches for me to hold than the marketing one. Am I wrong? I feel like I am probably romantizicing it all...
An English degree is definitely going to put you in a box. A lot of people have no idea what to do with an English degree. I would suggest the BABA with Management & Leadership Concentration as a business degree is more marketable. I wouldn't get a degree in graphic design because anyone can learn much of what is taught in those degrees on YouTube today for free. Graphic designers are well known for being poorly paid unfortunately.
Why a master's degree in visual communication? What purpose would it serve? What do you want to do post military? A master's in graphic design is quite frankly a waste of money. You'll get almost zero ROI on it.
From what I’ve seen, English degrees can be very helpful in a good chunk of fields. I’ve looks at job posts for communication specialists, marketing specialists, content specialists and they all would require or prefer a degree in communication, English or journalism.
I hope im not coming off as argumentative. I’m genuinely curious how a degree in leadership and management would help. I could see that helping for executive type jobs. To be honest with you I’ve only ever seen senior leaders being able to land those roles after they leave the service. I guess I should have more faith in myself tho. I just don’t want to shoot to high and not land on my feet. I might be playing it too safe tho. Do you really think I’d be able to land a big job like that?
Also I’m going to be honest I actually don’t know what purpose the visual communication degree would do. I’m very much lost in the sauce right now. I just know that many jobs also require degrees. I will use all the guidance you all have to offer.


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)