04-12-2023, 04:55 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2023, 04:55 AM by rachel83az.)
Wow, you've gotten some exceptionally bad advising. They're usually not quite this bad. TECEPs are, indeed, RA credit but are NOT residency credit for anyone except military. Unfortunately, you can't test out of Calculus at TESU (you can take Sophia pretty quickly for the same result, but that's not RA) but you can test out of Algebra and Stats. https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php
We usually recommend that students do not talk to advising at all, unless it is absolutely necessary. Even then, keep your queries to simple one or two sentence ones. Good: "Please add XYZ degree to my degree plan. Do not remove my current degree from my plan." Bad: "I think I want to complete XYZ degree in addition to ABC degree. What courses will I need? How close am I to completing this degree?" The first request might get you some comments about how you can't do both, blah blah blah. You can generally ignore whatever they say, so long as both degrees wind up on your plan. The second, they have a tendency to just switch you over to XYZ degree, removing ABC degree, and then they'll possibly tell you a bunch of nonsense that doesn't apply to you at all.
It feels like some advisors at TESU have outsourced their jobs to an AI that has no memory of what was typed 3 sentences before.
If you do need real advising, your best bet is to set up an advising appointment with a known good advisor. There are two or three of them, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Don Stolz. Mr. Stolz is widely known for knowing what he's talking about. When he doesn't, he's not afraid to say "I don't know, let me look that up." instead of making up nonsense out of thin air.
We usually recommend that students do not talk to advising at all, unless it is absolutely necessary. Even then, keep your queries to simple one or two sentence ones. Good: "Please add XYZ degree to my degree plan. Do not remove my current degree from my plan." Bad: "I think I want to complete XYZ degree in addition to ABC degree. What courses will I need? How close am I to completing this degree?" The first request might get you some comments about how you can't do both, blah blah blah. You can generally ignore whatever they say, so long as both degrees wind up on your plan. The second, they have a tendency to just switch you over to XYZ degree, removing ABC degree, and then they'll possibly tell you a bunch of nonsense that doesn't apply to you at all.
It feels like some advisors at TESU have outsourced their jobs to an AI that has no memory of what was typed 3 sentences before.
If you do need real advising, your best bet is to set up an advising appointment with a known good advisor. There are two or three of them, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Don Stolz. Mr. Stolz is widely known for knowing what he's talking about. When he doesn't, he's not afraid to say "I don't know, let me look that up." instead of making up nonsense out of thin air.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA
Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA
Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)