Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
First off you guys are awesome, second-BABA
#27
(06-13-2023, 01:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 07:06 AM)Aries0991 Wrote: My ultimate goal has slightly developed as I have been researching sales as a career and taking some classes and certifications. I am looking more heavily at "presales engineering" and its cousin "Sales Engineering"  as career focuses that can help me gain qualifications adjacent to sales to help me land higher positions.
Qualifications I am looking for and want to follow up with you guys on: Presales engineers work with programing and software implementation as part of the sales process, essentially I need to be able to know enough about programing to be dangerous in a sales conversation and effectively communicate with the companies software team on what exactly a client needs for me to make a sale.  I took a 6 hour Linked in Certificate class which basically let me know how much I don't know. If there are certifications/ quick degrees that are recommended I would greatly appreciate hearing what you guys know about.

Additionally for me to land the higher positions I would likely need to finish my MBA or potentially some equivalent. Which is much less daunting knowing my company is going to foot the bill.  Speed and credibility would be my goals with the MBA.

My husband has been a sales engineer for 20+ years, and does not have a bachelor's degree, let alone an MBA.  Way more important - he's a more "sales-y" engineer, meaning he has a personality (many sales engineers do not), is a great networker, and is great with customers.  He recently lost his job, reached out to everyone he knew, and had interviews at 15+ companies and at least 50 interviews within 3 weeks.  He took a job at week 4 1/2, and that one was from someone who reached out to him that he'd previously worked for.

So don't get ahead of yourself in terms of thinking you need an MBA.  I would say that at the start of his career, his technical knowledge was more important than anything else, and then the other stuff took over after that (probably by year 3).  A salesperson knowing that you have the technical expertise for the product they're selling, and are good with customers - they'll constantly be calling you when they leave the company to come and work with them at their new company (this happens to my husband All. The. Time.  He is constantly recruited by his former salespeople.  I'd say at least monthly someone reaches out to him to talk about moving to a new company).

This is a phenomenal insight and I really appreciate it!
I will be going into a SAAS (software) side of sales and honestly have minimal to no technical back ground in software other than my personal use in real estate and this is why I am hoping to expand this side of my credibility. I would say I fall under the category of being "salesy/personable" in person and will luckily be associated with a quality product to begin my career.  I got my offer letter today and am definitely taking a hair cut over my Physical Therapy career, but hopefully this will give me the opportunity to earn my stripes, network and set me up for long term success in the field. 

My secondary passion in real estate investing is adjacent to the products Ill be selling so I have credibility on that front. 
I really appreciate you giving me this insight.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: First off you guys are awesome, second-BABA - by Aries0991 - 06-13-2023, 04:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help for daughter #2 w UMPI BABA MaMichelle 6 2,030 09-21-2025, 07:54 PM
Last Post: hivechain
  easyA - UMPI BABA Plan Help easyA 5 2,364 02-27-2025, 11:39 PM
Last Post: easyA
  Degree Planning Advice- UMPI BABA WoFaDeTi 3 1,594 11-20-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BABA Degree Plan Heeler_Bandit_12OclockLow 4 2,916 10-14-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BABA Marketing from UMPI Raza Shah 7 2,271 09-30-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan,Urgent Help Needed! edward.ri 1 1,388 08-28-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help over looking a degree plan for BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan Elchavo 7 2,105 06-21-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Elchavo
  acasillas987 - UMPI BABA Marketing acasillas987 3 1,663 06-20-2024, 06:12 AM
Last Post: allvia
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 11,476 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 5,461 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)