Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Looking into language teaching related degrees
#11
(07-29-2023, 07:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @aperantosbias, Hmm, strange... that was the degree I was going to recommend you... the BLS Education Minor!  You can add to your BLS Education minor the certs and other experience you currently have.  If you ever wanted to 'upgrade' you can take the Bridge TEFL as that will apply 6 credits into the ACE.edu Masters program, so technically it'll be free as the cost of the 6 credits already exceeds the Bridge TEFL cert.  

Recent Post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid389970
Link 1: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...CE-credits
Link 2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ESOL-1-000

Interesting...I'll keep that in mind. It does seem like a degree worth considering.

(07-29-2023, 07:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You absolutely can do the TESU BA in English, and to me, it's a lot more interesting than the UMPI degree, although more expensive.

First, you find out everything you have from your previous school, because this will count as RA credit, which you need.
Second, you do everything you can via Sophia because it's cheap.
Third, you do SDC.
Fourth, you do Coopersmith.
Last, you do your FT/FR 15cr term at TESU, which will include the cornerstone, capstone, and 3 courses (I'd take 2 of them as UL English courses, and the last as a LL English course).

Major coursework:
ENG-201: American Literature Survey: Early America to 1900 (Coopersmith)
ENG-202: American Literature Survey: 1900 to Present (Coopersmith)
ENGL 103: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (SDC)
ENG 301: Non-Western Literature (SDC)
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing (SDC-UL)
LIT-401: Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry (Coopersmith-UL)
LIT-301: The Works of Herman Wouk (Coopersmith)
LIT-302: The Works of Arthur Miller (Coopersmith)
ENGL 101: English Literature (SDC)
ENGL 310: Short Stories (SDC)
BUS 310: Advanced Business Ethics (SDC-UL)
BUS 318: Management Ethics (SDC-UL)
2 add'l LL Humanities courses

For the single TESU term, there are 3 UL Lit and 1 UL English courses that don't overlap with any of the above, and so you can just choose which ones you want to do.  You need 6 UL courses total in the major (including Humanities), and 1 will be the capstone; so that leave 5 UL to take.  SDC has 2, and Coopersmith has 1, so you need 2 UL.
------------------------------------------------------------------

UMPI is a good option, but it just won't be "literature" heavy like TESU's will be; just depends on how you feel about that.  Their Education minor is one that people say is a lot of work and will take more terms to complete, so keep that in mind as you go through.  I feel like an English degree would be much more useful than the education minor personally.  And more fun.

I forgot to mention: ACTFL hasn't renewed their courses yet, but they may, in which case you could get 6cr UL and 6cr LL for the highest score on the OPIc exam ($151) and 6cr UL and 6cr LL for the highest score on the WPT exam ($151).  This means that you would only need 1 add'l UL English/Lit course for the degree (you'd still need a certain number of English/Lit courses, you'd just have more flexibility in getting more LL credit).

The courses all expired on 6/30, but they've been around for years (since 2015), so I think they'll be coming back, someone just let the ball drop there.

Wow, lots of info here. Thanks for chiming in. 

I don't really mind if it's more expensive. Especially given that a BA in English is pretty much universally well-regarded in my line of work. I also find the TESU degree more interesting than the UMPI equivalent. 

I suppose I'm a little worried about the potential time frame I would be looking at by going with TESU. That said, I could say the same about the Education minor being a lot of work and taking more terms to complete. I hadn't come across that fact yet.

Am I looking at a 1+ year difference between either degree (school), for example? Not sure what spread would constitute a deal-breaker for me. English does seem like the more useful degree, possibly by a considerable margin in my situation. These replies have been helpful as I ease into the process of making a decision and fleshing out a plan. 

If my previous schoolwork ends up being worth a pretty decent amount of credits, that's also something. I think I'll go dig out my old grades now and see what's what.

Also, thanks for the info on the expired courses. I'll keep an eye on their possible return.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking into language teaching related degrees - by aperantosbias - 07-29-2023, 08:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  150 hour TEFL Certificate for Teaching in Southeast Asia or other countries Voldigoad 5 1,446 04-16-2026, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Voldigoad
  Indiana Universities downsizing degrees offerings Stonybeach 1 655 04-10-2026, 08:37 AM
Last Post: wow
  Transferred in 90 credits to UMPI. Which of these 3 degrees should I choose? mriern99 4 1,605 03-05-2026, 08:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CS or related Bachelors, which way to go? hels-at-work 13 4,254 12-26-2025, 03:03 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Beginner's Guide to College Degrees - Compact and Concise Revised Version bjcheung77 12 15,421 11-25-2025, 04:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Using ACTFL LTI to test my native language for easy and cheap college credits sakasaba 7 3,216 01-08-2025, 09:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Two Bachelor's Degrees Planning Advice shiningnightsky 7 2,588 12-10-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wow
  STEM masters degrees for non-STEM majors Robson 12 12,372 08-20-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  trying to complete French Teaching License NYC putterlee 1 1,110 07-29-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  3 A.S. degrees, 153 Credits, Need help with finding the quickest route to a bachelor Lion570 3 1,940 06-08-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)