08-12-2023, 04:58 PM
(08-09-2023, 07:59 PM)joshua27 Wrote:I had 23 days but my question wasn't if I should chill out or not. My question was actually if there's a timeframe to when finals needed to be returned and if anyone had insight about waiting so long. Chill out doesn't particularly seem insightful. If you didn't have anything at all productive to say to my actual question, why respond at all? I was chill, just curious. 23 days may have seemed like a lot of time to you, but I knew I would not be able to do any coursework for the final 2 weeks of the term so planned my pace accordingly. Since this term is my first experience with UMPI, I just wanted to know what to expect. I don't know why the hell there are so many arrogant, unhelpful and unnecessary attitudes 'round these parts.(08-06-2023, 07:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote:(08-04-2023, 05:54 PM)joshua27 Wrote: Honestly if you're this upset over having to wait on a final grade, you're really going to be floored when you get out into the real world and see what sort of privledges are allowed to the "boss". As Vice Chancellor of the school she is incredibly busy and is likely only teaching these classes in order to take some burden off the other professors attached to the YourPace program. Just chill out and work on something else or wait if its your last class. As the Vice Chancellor of the school system, the President and Chancellor of the school system are the only two people she reports to outside of the board of trustees. Nobody is going to tell her to hurry up, including the director of YourPace.
Yeah, right - so in the "real world" people don't have to do their job in a timely manner? Ok, maybe in your real world, but in mine, that's no acceptable. Either is telling someone to chill out, when they are just trying to make sure they don't fail a course due to no fault of their own. OP specifically was trying to find out what in the world he was supposed to do if his paper was rejected, but did not have enough time to complete a rewrite, and the professor wasn't doing their job. That is not some frivolous crazy question - it's a real concern that anyone in this type of program would have. OP shouldn't chill out, OP should be VERY concerned about an F grade.
In corporate world while transacting business I generally assume that a request will take longer to be carried out the higher up the food chain it goes. If it's a request to one of my subbordinates, yes they execute immediately. If the request is for one of my superiors, then the time frame before I followup with them is completely based on their title. My director- a few days. AVP- a week. VP- 10 days, etc. If I'm having my legal department review a contract I've written then I assume up to two weeks.
I utilize a similar approach when dealing with folks at other companies. Working in procurement I sometimes deal with the lowliest of sales associates, all the way up to the CEO of billion dollar companies. Again, my timeline varies based on an individual's title although I also take into account the size of the company. If I'm dealing with a VP for Caterpillar I assume they might take a while to get back, where as if I am dealing with the VP of a local mom and pop, I usually give them 48 hours.
Additionally, at time of posting on 8/2 the OP had 23 days before the end of term and then grades aren't offically due until 7 days after term ends so yeah, they had time to chill out.
In the "real world" (because there's zero way this is part of the real world??), I would definitely adjust my follow up time based on someone's title and role - but as it pertains to the situation. In this situation, she was my professor so I will treat her as my professor and not some other random role. I was never being impatient, just asking if there was information about the timeline of finals being returned that I may have missed.


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)