Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I'm already burnt out
#29
(09-03-2023, 11:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-03-2023, 11:26 AM)pluggingalong Wrote: I have 28 classes left that, except for Version Control, are all normal length.  Because I memorize things slowly, I except to do 1 a month, as I currently am.  Counting the 6 months I am currently in, that will be about 3 years for a degree. 2.5 more years.  I must be doing this wrong.

I don't think you're doing this wrong, but it does sound like you're not a good fit for a Competency Based program. I'd suggest trying to get what you can done and then switching to TESU. It'll be cheaper in the long run and may even be faster/easier for you. Even SNHU might be a better fit.

Sophia is open-book, so you don't need to memorize literally everything in anticipation of it being on the tests.

Study.com isn't open book, but even working at 1 class per month is going to be significantly cheaper than 1 class per month at WGU. For many classes, you may even be able to do more than 1 per month because of the overlap.

How many RA credits do you have right now and how many RA credits do you anticipate having at the end of this term? Have you completed any UL classes at WGU yet?

I'm not sure what RA means, though I know UL is Upper Level. With the few classes that transferred, and the ones I've so far this semester, I've mostly completed all the core classes except the English Composition one. I've done math, science, government, health, etc. My remaining classes are basically all related to my major (SWE). Most of the IT majors I could transfer to, and not have wasted any effort on my completed classes. 

I noticed Sophia had some emphasis on classwork and quizzes, so the final was not 100% of the grade. That might be helpful to me, as I do classwork quickly.

I've completed these:

Orientation – ORA1

English Composition I – TBP1
Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation – IWT1
Literature, Arts and the Humanities – IWC1

Foundations of College Mathematics – AGC1
College Algebra – C278
Applied Probability and Statistics – C955

American Politics and the US Constitution – C963

Geography – BVC1

Introduction to Physics Lab – UBT1
Natural Science Lab – C683

Health, Fitness, and Wellness – C458

IT Fundamentals I – WFV1
Scripting and Programming - Foundations – D278
Introduction to Programming in Python – D335
Web Development Foundations – D276

(09-03-2023, 09:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's right, there's no 'wrong' way of learning, everyone does things differently and at various speed due to their own commitments or factors/variables that are in play.  You're going at your specific rate of learning for WGU, the main thing is, you want to max your alternative credit transfers before you start with any institution, including WGU.

That sounds like good advice.  I didn't get many credits transferred, but at the time I didn't worry about it, because I figured I would zip through the material anyway.  Memorizing everything has turned out to be pretty slow for me. I think they only transferred in classes from within the last 10-15 years. Classes I took in C, C++, SQL, Unix, and other technologies did not transfer because they were too old (as am I). 

I focused on SWE because I've worked as a SWE off and on for many years, and it had the least amount of Certs (which are all memorization).  It seems every class with an Objective exam is kind of like a Cert.

Maybe it just takes me another 2.5 years, and I need to just not put the rest of my life on hold while in college.  There are business things I want to pursue that I don't want to delay for multiple years. I was hoping I would be able to go faster, and get back to work sooner rather than later.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 08-31-2023, 12:01 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 08-31-2023, 12:57 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by davewill - 08-31-2023, 11:32 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 08-31-2023, 10:16 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-01-2023, 02:01 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 09-01-2023, 02:28 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-01-2023, 04:23 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 09-01-2023, 04:27 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-01-2023, 05:15 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by xspect - 09-01-2023, 05:12 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 09-01-2023, 05:16 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-01-2023, 05:32 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 09-01-2023, 06:25 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-01-2023, 06:55 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by MNomadic - 09-01-2023, 07:16 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-01-2023, 07:53 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-02-2023, 08:26 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 09-02-2023, 08:46 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-02-2023, 09:12 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by MNomadic - 09-02-2023, 11:21 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 09-02-2023, 11:22 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 09-02-2023, 11:45 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 09-02-2023, 04:59 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-03-2023, 11:26 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 09-03-2023, 11:35 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 09-04-2023, 01:21 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 09-04-2023, 07:09 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by MNomadic - 09-03-2023, 03:08 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 09-03-2023, 05:17 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 09-03-2023, 09:40 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 09-04-2023, 02:23 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 10-19-2023, 12:11 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 10-19-2023, 10:00 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 10-25-2023, 05:00 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by origamishuttle - 10-25-2023, 07:29 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 10-29-2023, 12:53 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 10-29-2023, 10:54 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 11-14-2023, 11:06 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by davewill - 11-15-2023, 01:36 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by indigoshuffle - 11-16-2023, 10:31 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 11-15-2023, 03:00 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by allvia - 11-16-2023, 07:23 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 01-08-2024, 07:54 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by jsh1138 - 01-09-2024, 10:48 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 01-09-2024, 12:12 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 01-09-2024, 10:43 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by davewill - 01-09-2024, 02:27 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 01-10-2024, 12:27 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 01-11-2024, 04:59 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by housecat - 02-21-2024, 01:59 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 02-21-2024, 06:36 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by housecat - 02-22-2024, 07:10 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by housecat - 02-23-2024, 05:12 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by MrPanda - 02-21-2024, 11:56 PM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 03-22-2024, 05:33 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by Vle045 - 03-22-2024, 06:29 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 03-30-2024, 12:58 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by Imbanewbie - 03-30-2024, 09:38 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 03-30-2024, 09:50 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by Jonathan Whatley - 03-30-2024, 06:04 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by rachel83az - 03-30-2024, 11:14 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 03-30-2024, 11:41 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by MrPanda - 03-30-2024, 11:50 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 03-30-2024, 11:58 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 03-31-2024, 01:32 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 03-31-2024, 01:44 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 03-31-2024, 03:55 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by bjcheung77 - 03-31-2024, 10:39 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 03-31-2024, 10:47 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by LevelUP - 03-31-2024, 11:00 AM
RE: I'm already burnt out - by pluggingalong - 04-05-2024, 08:20 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)