Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program
#22
Okay, so just some thoughts from the first several days.

I was able to sign up for 3 classes at the same time (as opposed to the usual 2 in most CBE programs).

The program is extremely disorganized. I kept refreshing Canvas to see when I'd get into my courses. You see, I thought the courses would appear in the University of Wisconsin Extension Canvas site. Instead, they appear on the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Canvas site, which is entirely separate. Not too bad, right? Well, because I'd previous signed into Canvas for UW Extension, everything kept redirecting me there. I tried following instructions to get to UW Milwaukee Canvas, but my browser automatically sent me to UW Extension. I deleted all the cookies. Still not working. I even directly copy and pasted the link to UWM's Canvas site, but I kept getting an error message. I had to completely clear the cache for it to work. I missed the entire first day trying to solve this issue.

The coursework itself isn't that well-organized either (at least in the way I was expecting). I thought the classes would resemble UMPI, Coursera, what I've seen of WGU, or (at the very least) some of my classes at B&M schools: you know, classes divided into lessons + assignments. Instead, you just get a word document with outcomes, recommended readings, and Quizlets to study. The textbooks are listed in the syllabus as "recommended readings", but they might as well be required from the looks of it. They're "recommended" in the sense that you don't technically have to read them at all (especially if you're coming in with a lot of knowledge beforehand), yet the Resource Document for each competency just tells you to read certain chapters to understand certain concepts. I'm signed up for 3 classes and they all seem to follow this pattern.

I attached the Resources Document for one of my class (Human Pathophysiology I) to give you an idea of what I'm studying off of. The resources in the document are pretty much what I've been given to study (besides practice exams).

I guess it's enough to work with. Just was hoping for it to be more streamlined.

tl;dr No lessons, just readings & quizlets

(09-04-2023, 11:49 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Interesting! Usually pathophysiology is deemed as very difficult and is often a cut course for nursing/PA/PT programs. It doesn't seem to line up with the rest of the classes offered. The syllabus lists a textbook I don't usually see for patho as well. I wonder if this course is tailored differently than other patho courses? Its not usually a course someone jumps into without taking an intensive Anatomy and Physiology or a Gen Bio series first

May I ask what you are doing the program for? Seems like a springboard for a MHA or MBA in Healthcare?

Hmm, that's odd then. Not a good sign.

I see what you mean by A&P and Gen Bio being prerequisites for patho courses at other courses. If I was completely unfamiliar with them, I can see myself struggling to keep up with the material I've scanned through. Still, not feeling confident about how UW's program seems to stack up against other schools in terms of rigor from what you're telling me (at least at a glance). 

As for the reason I'm doing the program, I do have some personal goals. One is a bit of an odd passion project that involves going through the degree program itself. I do want to try using the degree to land a job and/or get into a healthcare-related graduate program. The bachelor's degree isn't exactly necessary for the stuff on my radar, but there's a personal interest in earning it anyway. I am a bit strained w/ money atm, so I'm going for the cheapest Health Sciences-related degree from a reputable, RA school I could find. Figured it'd be worth if I can get the degree done in 1 or 2 terms. Would be cheaper/faster than the other degree options I'm aware of. The passion project just mentioned is how I plan to get back some of the money I spend. Even if the project only earns me back 50 cents, I should have more luck applying to healthcare-related jobs going forward.

(I've tried applying to jobs with my economics degree, if you're curious about my signature. Haven't had much luck. I used to have much more of a solid plan, but Covid + other personal circumstances messed with that big time. The other degrees are just subjects I'm passionate about)


Attached Files
.docx   BMS 314 study guide and resources.docx (Size: 30.42 KB / Downloads: 12)
University of Wyoming
JD Candidate - 3L (Class of 2027)
MA Environment & Natural Resources (Class of 2027)
Grad Collaborative Practice Certificate (2027)

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
BS Biomedical Sciences - Health Sciences (2026)
Microcredential: Interprofessional Leadership in Healthcare (2026)

UMPI
BA History & Political Science (2022)

Florida State University
BS Economics (2022)
BS International Affairs - Political Science (2022)
Minor Mathematics (2022)
[-] The following 1 user Likes RbxFunRocks's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program - by RbxFunRocks - 09-06-2023, 05:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Wisconsin Flex BSIST spacecadet17 1 447 09-12-2026, 11:19 PM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks
  California Coast University. Danalynn25 0 352 09-11-2026, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Danalynn25
  American Public University System Completes Planned Combination Charles Fout 4 847 08-06-2026, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Claremont Lincoln University ReyMysterioso 7 1,431 07-30-2026, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Newlane University - My experience so far tsgreer 44 56,532 07-12-2026, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Danalynn25
  Purdue Global University doctorate BigJohn1975 1 801 06-03-2026, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Winthrop University - Bachelor of Professional Studies (B.P.S) CBE karehiro 6 3,582 05-26-2026, 10:57 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University of West Alabama offers CBE degree tracks (per-credit pricing) RbxFunRocks 4 1,733 04-21-2026, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Newlane University BALA Specializations in Art History and Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 8 2,946 03-19-2026, 05:24 PM
Last Post: ritz
  Basic Program - Year 3 - Spring Charles Fout 0 689 03-18-2026, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)