Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy
#1
Good morning... I have been lurking here for a bit and feel it is time to make my first post, as I would like some advice. I am a full time paramedic and part time firefighter. I've been doing it for twenty years (and teaching EMS as an adjunct) at the Community College level for 20 years. I already have several associates degrees, an RA B.S. degree where I double majored in Emergency/Disaster Management and Healthcare Administration, and an RA M.S. in Public Safety Administration (think MPA with first responder focus... heavy on grant writing, disasters, and terrorism, very light on community relations)...In addition to working as a medic, I am a part-time civilian with the USCG. (I am NOT a veteran and do not qualify for tuition assistance or the GI Bill) All that being said, my goal is to leave EMS behind soon. Three reasons: My back is ready for a change, the EMS agencies in my state (all private) do not provide anything for retirement, and finally I have hit the glass ceiling and cannot advance any higher. My interests have always revolved around history, the military, and national security/public policy. I am hoping to find an online doctorate, or one with very limited residencies in the field of homeland security, public policy, national security, or a mix thereof. My goal is to leverage this degree and my Coast Guard background into a position in consulting or academia, teaching national defense, homeland security et cetera. I am aware it is a bit of a niche area, but have still managed to find programs at Liberty, (PhD in Policy with National Security specialization), and Missouri State (Doctorate of Defense and Strategic Studies). I do not feel like a DPA or PhD in Public Admin or Criminal Justice would be appropriate because those are not something I've ever worked in before, and also a DPA or DCJ would focus on the wrong things. The Liberty and MSU programs both have the national strategy/military focus I am looking for. Both programs interest me greatly. The issue is cost. Even with the first responder discount at Liberty, I would struggle to afford the degree. (I do not qualify for the vets discount)...the Missouri State program is even more expensive. While I could probably get a full ride if I do a program in-house at a B&M program, I cannot afford to move, both for family and financial reasons.So... does anyone know of any Doctorate level online homeland security or public policy programs cheaper than Liberty?  I have spent hours on Google, but cannot find anything under 25,000. I am NOT looking for a shortcut or a diploma mill, or an African or Spanglish proprio... I am more than willing to bust my butt and do the work of a "real" doctorate. . . . It's just that I'm just a working class paramedic and can't afford the bigger better programs.

Also, in case it matters, besides my USCG experience, I also spent time in my twenties working as a homeland security intern with both my state police agency and with my state public health department. So I do have some relevant experience I can point to, along with a few minor projects.

I am also a graduate of several military PME leadership courses, but those only provide credit at the undergrad or master's levels... Not suitable for credit at a doctorate program as I understand it.
Associates in: EMS, History, and Philosophy
Certificates in: Military History and Quality Assurance
B.S. in: Emergency Management and Healthcare Admin
M.S. in: Public Safety Administration
Graduate Certificate in: National Security
In Progress: Doctorate and Masters # 2 and 3
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy - by FireMedic_Philosopher - 02-27-2024, 12:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone attend California Coast University for a doctorate? GoBroncos95 23 2,495 09-25-2026, 08:43 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 52 18,454 07-09-2026, 09:29 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Tuskegee Online PhD in Integrative Public Policy and Development Jonathan Whatley 0 767 06-18-2026, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Any online Bachelor's-to-Doctorate direct entry? Stonybeach 27 3,556 06-02-2026, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Maltus
  Doctorate in TESOL vs. Master's in TESOL? EliEverIsAHero 5 1,569 06-01-2026, 08:27 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  ABD friendly doctorate with max transfer RA preferred under 15k finish fast Docu 51 11,560 05-26-2026, 09:57 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Open Institute of Technology Professional Doctorate in Applied AI icecubetr 0 1,603 04-11-2026, 08:07 AM
Last Post: icecubetr
  Lowest Cost D.P.A.? (Doctorate in Public Administration) MFG 13 9,362 04-09-2026, 04:48 AM
Last Post: degreeappreciator123
  Open Universities with Global Security focus (IR/Poli Sci or Criminal Justice) EliEverIsAHero 15 2,405 04-04-2026, 09:31 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Applied to a Doctorate at UNISA. What am I in for if admitted? EliEverIsAHero 10 2,296 04-04-2026, 01:00 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)