06-22-2024, 07:35 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2024, 08:16 PM by halov19823.)
(06-22-2024, 04:18 PM)allvia Wrote: Modern States is good to get the cost of the CLEP covered for Free, and some basic topic learning. There are a number of other sources, some free and some low cost to gain greater subject knowledge. Sophia will likely cover the subject on corresponding subjects, and you can use the low cost Study.com as well for prep (although I would recommend the mid-level which includes the exams to practice knowledge) https://study.com/clep/index.html - Also, Kahn Academy is a very good free source to gain subject knowledge https://www.khanacademy.org/
The good news is that the CLEPs are general subjects that are recent to many high school students. If they don't pass a subject on the first try they can always study again and come back, but always better to be prepared going in and not have to retake.
While I appreciate the free opportunity Modern States offers, my nephew hasn't been enthusiastic about its prep, voucher, and exam format. He's found Sophia.org's courses much more user-friendly and manageable. Supplementing with Study.com seems like a good idea.
I am also going to look into dual enrollment as another potential option. For instance, Excelsior College say that it requires a high school diploma or "equivalent education" for admission. I'm wondering if CLEP exams, ACE-accredited courses, or (even better) courses from Sophia.org or Study.com could count towards that equivalent education.
Sources I've come across so far:
https://www.pierpont.edu/admissions/high...ge-credit/
https://www.snhu.edu/student-experience/...ol-program
https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/special...uivalency/
https://mysupport.tesu.edu/shp/tesu/arti...07-1544172 (If I’m in high school, how can I become a dual-enrolled student?)
https://www.umpi.edu/academics/early-college/
When I have some more free time, I will look into each individual option in more detail. As you can probably tell, I am prioritizing affordable options. He doesn't anticipate graduating with honors or at the top of his class for a full ride at this time.
Thank you for the additional resources and insights – very helpful.
(06-22-2024, 04:19 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: You have some duplication in your listing as some of the CLEP Exams transfer into the same Snow College courses. You want to avoid that. I am not sure whether Snow College accepts Sophia.
My son is attending Pierpont via dual enrollment (AA Liberal Studies track) and they accepted the Sophia credits that he previously took. Their classes are $25 per credit for dual enrollment. That might be a good option for your nephew: https://www.pierpont.edu/admissions/dual-enrollment/
We use the annual homeschooling plan on study dot com for our son as supplemental for the courses that he is not ready for college-level work - it works to around $30 per month for access to all courses: https://study.com/homeschool/plans.html
FYI - we are also in NYC, but decided to homeschool because the middle school work ended being too basic for him and he was bored out of his mind. He is in high school now, but started Sophia in middle school.
Good catch. I thought I had included that column, but it seems to have gotten lost in the copy-paste. Here's what was missing:
CLEP equivalent
CLEP 4400
CLEP 3100
CLEP 3200
CLEP 0100
CLEP 0800
CLEP 0700
CLEP 2300
CLEP 0200
CLEP 0300
CLEP 1000
CLEP 1500
CLEP 1500
CLEP 2000
CLEP 1800
CLEP 2100
CLEP 0600
CLEP 0400
That's great news. Pierpont accepting Sophia credits is encouraging. We'll definitely look into their equivalencies. Would you mind sharing a bit more about your son's experience at Pierpont? Can he continue to transfer in external credits, or is he now taking courses directly through them? Also, what's the learning format like? Is it self-paced, competency-based, multiple-choice exams, long essays, or a combination? Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated!


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)