Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...Personal Plan & Progress
#9
(10-07-2024, 03:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-07-2024, 02:56 PM)Hackingat40 Wrote: I did mine through Pierpont Tech. What I am doing is awaiting conferral of the AAS which is December but starting my BLS at UMPI this month. Once AAS is conferred I can submit to UMPI to change the BLS to BAS.

This poster also stated they just want a check the box degree. At 28 I was a regional training manager for restaurants without a degree. They also did not state what field they were recently in before the pivot phase to start flight training either so they may have a few years experience based on their need for a check the box degree.

Pierpont is no longer an option for a quick AAS. That door closed on October 4th.

It's easy to move up to management in restaurants without a degree. Not so much in the corporate world.

(10-07-2024, 03:16 PM)wkshasta Wrote: Thanks for the quick replies! For the record, my previous line of work was operating heavy equipment in the heavy civil construction (i.e. mass excavation projects). I chose the BLS, but I will look into the BABA a little further because I understand where you're coming from. I think a lot of people wonder if the BLS will be taken seriously, but a lot of advice was that it will depending on the situation and especially in "check the box" situations. Like I said, I do sincerely appreciate the input and promise to look a little more into it and give it some more consideration before I get too far in my degree plan.

Again FWIW, the specific door I'm knocking on, the advice I received was to go get a Bachelors and check the box. My GPA will be weighted a little more than the field of study. Specifically the advice was, "I'd rather you have a 4.0 in Basketweaving than a 2.8 in Engineering." (Obviously a 4.0 in Engineering would be even better lol) This is also what led me to the BLS, being able to cherry-pick a majority of the classes to help myself out in this regard. 

Hope that helps!

Between the BLS and the BABA there's really no difference in what you'll be able to do when it comes to your GPA. You get out what you put in.
Understood. 

I believe the thinking behind this is that the BABA class structure is a little bit more rigid, and the BLS is...well liberal studies...and there's a ton of electives that are up to me to choose to fill the credit hours. So, am I going to do better/finish a little bit faster in the random areas of study that interest me or in the classes that I feel like I "have" to take? 
I agree wholeheartedly that the BABA - Management & Leadership sounds way better than BLS - Management and is probably a better option for most people who are hoping to use the degree, but in this scenario is it actually going to do any better for me specifically...I'm not sure. 

Thank you again for the feedback, I truly do appreciate every word
[-] The following 1 user Likes wkshasta's post:
  • Hackingat40
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...Personal Plan & Progress - by wkshasta - 10-07-2024, 05:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Your Pace New General Education Requirements Fall 2026 (New Degree Plan) LevelUP 8 4,016 08-13-2026, 07:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BLS Degree Plan Help clj626 8 1,192 07-20-2026, 02:44 PM
Last Post: clj626
  TransferMate payment processing time & May 7 deadline anxiety - Will I be dropped? Jin Wang 0 548 05-05-2026, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Jin Wang
  Enrolling at UMPI and UMF at the same time? Henry Feng 3 1,445 02-04-2026, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Henry Feng
  0 credits to BA at UMPI: how long while working FT? (Psych, IGS, PolSci grads pls) stateside 6 2,119 11-30-2025, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Psychology 2nd degree plan evanmonast 3 1,446 11-08-2025, 12:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Whatever happened to the Computer Sciences plan at UMPI... elcastor21 17 9,850 07-24-2025, 07:10 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  BLS Management Information Systems Degree Plan SyedUsman 4 2,440 06-25-2025, 07:17 AM
Last Post: SyedUsman
  UMPI BA PM & IS Degree Plan AG101 4 2,918 06-07-2025, 12:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BA Psychology Degree Plan Swiss Cognac 7 5,077 04-26-2025, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Erikabol

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)