Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program
#36
(09-06-2026, 09:45 PM)Mint Berry Crunch Wrote: Are they generous with ACE credit transfers Sophia, SDC, Straighterline, and Saylor (or as Steve calls it "The 4's")?

I didn't use any alternative credit sources, so I can't speak from personal experience.

I found this page on the UW Milwaukee website, which discusses Prior Learning Assessment credit: https://uwm.edu/policy/library/learning-assessment/

On this page, UWM states the following regarding ACE Credits:


(09-06-2026, 09:45 PM)University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee Wrote: Students who have completed an ACE-evaluated course or exam may submit an official ACE Registry Transcript for evaluation, preferably during the admissions process. The UWM Registrar’s Office will perform an initial review for the presence of college-level learning according to the definition above.  Items considered college-level will be forwarded to appropriate academic departments for evaluation and credit awarded based on departmental recommendations. Note that faculty may consider a student’s major in determining credit awards, exercising greater latitude where appropriate for students majoring in subjects other than the evaluating department’s. The student’s learning will be identified on the transcript as ACE credit and recognized as elective or course credit based on faculty review.


It's also worth noting that UW Flex itself has this Credit By Exam page, but the links appear to be broken: https://flex.wisconsin.edu/admissions-of...it-by-exam


(09-06-2026, 09:45 PM)Mint Berry Crunch Wrote: Edit: Real quick -- how is your JD coming along? If I read it correctly, you should be done by next year. How long is the program?

Law school is going pretty smoothly, though it takes up my entire schedule at times. I felt like I barely had any time to rest all summer ._. This summer alone, I took two 2-week intensive courses for law credit: a venture through the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon and a Summer Trial Institute course that simulates a jury trial.

Even now, I'm preparing for on-campus interviews (OCIs) to hopefully land a job offer early into the school year.

It's a 3-year, in-person program, so I'll be graduating next May. Some of the school's dual degrees add extra time, but my MA in Environment and Natural Resources can be completed without adding any. I believe the MPA adds an extra semester, while the MBA adds a full year.

One thing I really like about my school is the unique opportunities that come with being the only law school in a small state. It's very closely tied to the Wyoming legal community. At law school competitions, well-established lawyers and judges from across the state come to critique competitors. The Wyoming Supreme Court holds two oral arguments in the large Moot Court room every year, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit (one level below SCOTUS) also regularly holds oral arguments at the school.

Overall, I've really enjoyed it. I like the smaller school size, and I think that's helped make a lot of these opportunities feel much more accessible than they might at a larger law school. It's been a pretty unique experience and I'm glad I ended up here.
University of Wyoming
JD Candidate - 3L (Class of 2027)
MA Environment & Natural Resources (Class of 2027)
Grad Collaborative Practice Certificate (2027)

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
BS Biomedical Sciences - Health Sciences (2026)
Microcredential: Interprofessional Leadership in Healthcare (2026)

UMPI
BA History & Political Science (2022)

Florida State University
BS Economics (2022)
BS International Affairs - Political Science (2022)
Minor Mathematics (2022)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program - by RbxFunRocks - 09-06-2026, 11:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Wisconsin Flex BSIST spacecadet17 1 445 09-12-2026, 11:19 PM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks
  California Coast University. Danalynn25 0 349 09-11-2026, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Danalynn25
  American Public University System Completes Planned Combination Charles Fout 4 842 08-06-2026, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Claremont Lincoln University ReyMysterioso 7 1,430 07-30-2026, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Newlane University - My experience so far tsgreer 44 56,447 07-12-2026, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Danalynn25
  Purdue Global University doctorate BigJohn1975 1 800 06-03-2026, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Winthrop University - Bachelor of Professional Studies (B.P.S) CBE karehiro 6 3,575 05-26-2026, 10:57 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University of West Alabama offers CBE degree tracks (per-credit pricing) RbxFunRocks 4 1,727 04-21-2026, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Newlane University BALA Specializations in Art History and Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 8 2,942 03-19-2026, 05:24 PM
Last Post: ritz
  Basic Program - Year 3 - Spring Charles Fout 0 689 03-18-2026, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)