Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Trying to decide between these two grad schools
#1
I've been pouring over master's programs for the last two weeks. I've narrowed it down to two schools which are very different. Some advice would be helpful, as right now I am very torn between the two. I am about to get my BS Liberal Studies at Excelsior, and now I'm looking to earn a postgrad degree in a business related field. I don't have a lot of prereqs for either program, although I do have some professional experience and I've decided I'd rather go this route than a humanities-based master's. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to make more money, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't want to enjoy school. So, here are my top choices.

University of Massachusetts, Lowell. Master of Business Administration.

Pros: This school is AACSB-approved, and assuming that I can find an employer to supplement the costs, it is a good long-term investment. It is a rare find because it is very low priced for AACSB, entirely online, and only 30 credits. The prereqs are not as bad as other schools, and so far the staff has been very attentive. I can't overemphasize the AACSB accreditation and brand-name recognition.

Cons: Although a good value, it will cost around $15,0000 before textbooks for the whole program. The program is very traditional and structured; honestly, I'm not sure if the traditional MBA-program, which is very financially and structurally based, is going to appeal to me. It will take around 2 years to complete.

Amberton University. Master of Business Administration (Strategic Leadership) OR Master of Arts, Professional Development.

Pros: It is regionally accredited, which is nothing to be ashamed of. The bread and butter is the flexibility of both programs. I can end up with a 36-credit master's degree by taking almost exclusively courses that I really like (leadership, conflict management, communication.) I can also get up to THREE graduate certificates, as the classes for the master's programs also apply towards certificates, AND certificates can overlap classes. Furthermore, I can transfer in classes from VESi for 9-12 credits, which are extremely cheap. Speaking of cheap, the school is off-the-radar inexpensive for RA schools. Also, I can complete this degree in a year to 18 months, and within that time frame I can keep adding certificates to my resume.

Cons: Not AACSB is the biggest drawback. The lack of name recognition could really hurt in a competitive market in Silicon Valley, If I later decided to get AACSB, I would then need to start over from scratch. I'm just worried that the degree will be seen as "second-tier," whereas UMass Lowell will probably just be assumed brick-and-mortar from a reputable school. Maybe this fear is irrational, but I wonder if a resume littered with certificates is seen by employers as a resume with a lot of easy, online certificates. As much as I hate to say, perception matters more than reality in the professional world. I can say with little doubt that Amberton will improve my overall skills and make be a better professional, but UMass will make me look much better on paper and open more opportunities.


So, that is my dilemma. I still have time to make the decision, but I should make a decision soon if I want to get started on my prereqs.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Trying to decide between these two grad schools - by daniellevine - 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College costs top $100,000 at 15 schools LevelUP 0 339 08-21-2026, 01:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CS degree for research grad school ECE focus Miaki 5 2,186 02-13-2026, 09:50 AM
Last Post: mundi5
  Med Schools - Interesting Lists bjcheung77 2 4,695 12-27-2025, 01:26 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Billionaires who founded schools... bjcheung77 0 1,152 07-03-2025, 11:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Grad school recommendation letters Armadillo1 4 3,146 04-30-2025, 07:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College tuition has fallen significantly at many schools LevelUP 2 2,226 03-25-2025, 05:26 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  NJCU pursues merger, U of Phoenix sale, UK possible closures of private schools... bjcheung77 3 3,133 03-19-2025, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Jahaza
  Any schools that offer certs like WGU? inferno14 5 4,435 03-02-2025, 04:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  any Cert-free schools? pluggingalong 2 2,004 08-24-2024, 09:44 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Which schools accept NCCRS? wow 12 4,888 08-17-2024, 07:22 AM
Last Post: wow

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)