Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
Provider: Shmoop
Course: The Bible as Literature
Course content: standard Shmoop stuff, no outside material required
Final exam format: Multiple choice, I think 50 questions
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: the tests at the end of each section adequately prepare you for the final 
Time taken on course: 4 or 5 hours, if that
Familiarity with subject before course: I am very familiar with the Bible. 
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: Many of the things this course says about Bible scholarship aren't true, but other than that its fine. 
1-10 Difficulty level: 1, assuming that you are decently familiar with the Bible. halfway through I literally stopped reading the course & just started taking the exams & I finished with a B+. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't read any of it at all & just do the exams. I am confident I could still get a B in less than 3 hours

Course: Media Literacy
Course content: Standard Shmoop course, no outside material needed
Final exam format: 50 multiple choice
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: the exams at the end of the sections prepare you for the final
Time taken on course: an afternoon
Familiarity with subject before course: I know the current American culture
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: If you are a native American under 40 years old, you can pass this course without reading the material. Older students or non-native students may need to familiarize themselves with the material
1-10 Difficulty level: 1. Exam questions are along the lines of "what do you do at the Spotify website" or "what does Itunes do", etc. Very simple, common-knowledge stuff for the most part. I stopped reading the material halfway through and got a low B. If you skim it you should be fine, be sure to look at the correct answers to anything you miss on the quizzes and you should have no trouble withe the final

Course: Shakespeare in Context
Course content: Standard Shmoop, no outside material required
Final exam format: 50 multiple choice
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: most of what's on the final will be in the quizzes. alot of the questions are reading comprehension based, where you are given a short reading with the question
Time taken on course: probably 2 days
Familiarity with subject before course: I had read about half the plays in this course before taking the course
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: It helps alot if you've read the plays. Some of them are common, like Hamlet, some are more obscure, like Winter's Tale
1-10 Difficulty level: 3ish. Maybe 2ish if you've read all the plays. Most of the questions are along the lines of "in this play, who is X character" or "Why did X do Y?" or "what is X's last name?" etc. Nothing in-depth or too tricky, assuming you can remember who is who in the plays. For the ones everyone knows, like Romeo and Juliet, its a joke. For the ones you haven't read before it can be challenging
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • kaneiwa, suzycupcake

Messages In This Thread
RE: The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! - by jsh1138 - 10-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Bus 311 Project Mgmt - Study.com - by khwaja1924 - 01-26-2022, 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 8 320 04-26-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: louise
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 211 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 4 130 04-26-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,518 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 1,034 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 731 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 542 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 203 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,590 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,667 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM