Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No degree to MBA-HR in 20 months - Nodaclu's Progress Thread
(01-11-2018, 08:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree that an MBA isn't necessarily what you need, although you can also look at an MBA with an HR concentration if you want.  I also don't really have an interest in an MBA, and would rather be HR-focused (I was in Compensation when I left the workforce).

In the HR world, I think certs are the way to go.  I'm not even sure you need anything higher than a BA, if it were a BSBA in HR.  With the BALS, I'm still not 100% certain you need more, but not as sure.  You might also look at WorldatWork's CBP designation, which is VERY detailed in the Benefits area (much more so than the CEBS).  LOTS of info, and fairly expensive.  Look at jobs in the field you want, look at the degrees they're looking for, and the certs.  Don't do any more than necessary, unless you want to go higher.  Even then, a lot of companies will pay for your degree, so I would wait until I got the job I wanted with the degree I had, and then look at the next level up.  Why pay for a degree that you don't need now, when your company might be more than willing to pay for it at any number of universities.

Sorry about that! I was editing my post for further clarity when you responded, but your reply actually makes perfect sense to my re-write anyway.  Big Grin

Having looked at more than 40 job postings just now across the U.S. for Benefits Managers, not a single one required a Master's Degree (two didn't even require a Bachelor's - much to my amazement). About half asked for the CEBS (required or preferred), only one asked for the CBP (and that was a Comp & Benefits Mgr position that also wanted the CCP). 

That being said, I'll take a long look at both certs (along with the PHR, which many wanted along with the CEBS). But I think you're right. Especially as it pertains to Benefits Managers, the Master's might be overkill right now, and it's something I can always come back to if it appears my career is going to be blocked again by the lack of a degree.

Looks like I need to create a new plan for a BSBA!  Wink Fortunately, I'm right at the tail end of the window where I can do it, without having to back up even more. When I checked previously, I think it meant that 21 units I've already taken can't be used. That's a major bummer, but not the end of the world.

EDIT:
BALS - 32 units to degree completion
BSBA - 60 units to degree completion

Ouch.

I wonder if splitting the difference with a BALS - HR concentration would make sense?
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019

Messages In This Thread
RE: No degree to MBA-HR in 20 months - Nodaclu's Progress Thread - by Nodaclu - 01-11-2018, 08:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,191 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 722 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 300 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 694 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 616 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 552 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 300 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 912 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 515 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM