Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question for Big Three Gads who Went on to Grad School
(02-05-2019, 07:10 PM)retro Wrote: Some of us come to the "big three" with a ton of credits from previous attempts at college. Personally, I am having to start from scratch. What credits I do have are from an institution that was on a "quarter hour" system instead of "semester hours"; these translate at a steep "discount" and are basically worthless.

Fine. I'll leverage CLEP/DSST/Study.com and whatever else  I can, until I have enough of the right combination of credits to graduate. If I do that, I'll accumulate a ton of ACE/NCCRS credits that will show up as PASS/FAIL on my transcripts. Not a big deal, though a relatively few GPA graded courses will drive my GPA.

If I ask, "can I get into a [real] grad school — for example a state school — with almost entirely ACE/NCCRS credits on my TESU transcript" I'll no doubt hear, "it depends, talk to the grad school you're thinking of attending." Fair enough, but I'm trying to chart the most effective course I can here. I don't yet have a specific grad school in mind yet, and I can hardly call every grad school in the country worthy of the name and ask them their take on the matter — I don't have that kind of time.

My questions are:
  • If you got mostly ACE/NCCRS credits and and graduated from one of the Big Three, what challenges did you have getting into grad school? How did you overcome those challenges?
  • Did any of you get into a State school?
  • Somewhat more generally, what advice would you give someone in my position who expects to go on to grad school eventually?
  • Is there anything you really wish someone would have told you about going from the Big Three to Grad school that never came up anywhere?

I might stand alone, but I don't think taking a total pass/fail degree and in the same breath asking about ABC grad school is making the best use of your resources. I believe you have to be a click smarter- if your question was "can I get into grad school" my answer is "of course" but when you add qualifiers, then that changes the question. You have to be preemptive- if you spend an evening looking at a dozen grad school websites that all say they want GPA of X or a certain number of graded credits, then you really need to change your plan.

When I did my TESU degrees, my AA is all ungraded- I used CLEP and DSST. My BA has a lot of graded credit because I knew I wanted to take classes in my major to assure not only grad school admission, but that I got a chance to do academic writing and research in my major.
I'll muddy it up a bit to tell you that my goals changed several times on my journey, and so did my path. Anyway, long boring story short- I got in everywhere I applied.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question for Big Three Gads who Went on to Grad School - by cookderosa - 02-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 190 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,433 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,142 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,223 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,877 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,341 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 704 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,611 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,449 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,767 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode