Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-yr-old’s Ultimate Goal: phd Theoretical Mathematics
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a TESU Math degree. I've read extensively about Ph.D programs, and almost everything I've read carries the refrain: it doesn't matter where you did your undergraduate degree. The bigger issue with a TESU math degree is that there aren't a lot of options for within the major, but it's still possible that transferring into their program may be cheaper because he can knock out all the GenEd/Electives for extremely cheap, leaving you only the major to worry about.

He'll want to focus on graded credit within the major, which isn't really a problem given that you have limited options for alternative credit anyway. I don't think doing the Calculus CLEP for the Calculus 1 requirement would hurt (don't think a math grad program is going to care too much about your grade on Calc 1 once you've done well in advanced math), but for the most part you'll want regionally-accredited credits.

Not sure if they enroll minors, but APU has a lot of math courses that would transfer to TESU.

Now, I'm not saying that TESU is your best bet, but I don't think you should throw it out.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Messages In This Thread
RE: 11-yr-old’s Ultimate Goal: phd Theoretical Mathematics - by mysonx3 - 03-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best master's degree to get if my ultimate goal is Ed.D manley0702 7 3,213 03-24-2020, 09:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77