Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie! Want to take French CLEP. Need advice and help!
Zedler,

I took the French CLEP & failed because of the audio portion. I can't stress this enough, listen to French conversations until your ears bleed or until you can understand 95% of what they are saying with certainty. In the French CLEP audio portion, you listen to a conversation between two people speaking in French and then an announcer comes on and says the question AND potential answers to you in French. There is NO reading whatsoever in this portion, all you see on the screen are the options A B C or D. Based on what you have heard and understand from the preceding conversation, question & answers, then you select the right letter. And the above writer was correct, it's a one-shot deal, no rewinding so you have to listen quickly *lol*. Had I known this ahead of time I wouldn't have taken the test when I did and I would have over-prepared for the audio portion.

Also, the audio portion is first, written portion is second. Get your headphones on & sound jacked up before hitting the start button for the test, the audio starts almost immedately upon hitting start. There won't be time for you to monkey around with volume when you are supposed to be listening to the test.

Hope this helps!

Amy
Thomas Edison State College
AAS - Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies (done! Graduating in December 2012!)
BA - English (done! Graduating in June 2013!)

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra - 70, College Algebra - 80
CLEP:
College Comp - 55, A&I Lit - 74, English Lit - 57, American Lit - 62, Humanities - 58, Social Sciences & History - 66,
Info Sys & Comp Applications - 70, Intro. Psych - 60, Human Growth & Development - 55, Biology - 56
DSST:
Race to Save the Planet - 66, Intro. to World Religions - 462, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union - 56
FEMA:
21 credits - done!
Hallelujah I'm done all the tests I had to take! Thank you IC! Smile :hurray:
The audio sections of the foreign language exams are delivered to you -- you will have no control at all except to mark your answer. You cannot adjust the volume once in it, you cannot hit "pause", there is no way to rewind and replay what you might have missed. The two audio segments are each 15 minutes -- you cannot speed it up or slow it down. Once they read you your possible multiple-choice options, you will have 10 seconds to select an answer before the audio starts up for the next question. It doesn't matter if you know the answer within the first couple of seconds; it will not start for 10 seconds.
I agree with all the stuff about the recordings; I had a hard time hearing the muffled voices. They used an older man to speak, which doesn't help! I just made sure I was ready, and listening carefully before I clicked the play button, and I don't think I got any wrong on those.

I would have to disagree with OE800_85, because there were sections (this includes the listening) where you were given 5 possible ways to answer a question, and had to choose which was grammatically correct and/or relevant. I don't think my score would have been 68, if I hadn't worked on grammar/vocabulary.
A child's book is a fine way to become familiar with french in general, but you'll need to be able to understand higher levels of vocabulary, such as french radio or movies.
I would point out that there is a reading portion, where you go through an excerpt from a french author/reporter etc., so remember to read dif. types of literature. ( I read The Hound of the Baskerilles, and it was way more intriguing than if I had read it in English! )

Bonne Chance!

- Sam
Pourquoi tout le monde rÃpondre en anglais?

La question d'origine, c'est comme demander comment se rendre à Carnegie Hall? Pratique, pratique, pratique!
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
solÃ, mais mon orthographe francais n'est pas assez bon! Smile
French is spoken at a different frequency than English, so that's one reason why you need to listen to it as much as you can prior to testing. Reviewing grammar is also important because a lot of verb conjugations sound the same and you have to discern them from the context of the audio or written material.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 711 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,674 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 525 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,263 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,083 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,870 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 877 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,073 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,358 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 737 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium