Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JTP's WGU MS CSIA Update Thread
Following suit with my my bachelor's degree, I wanted to start a progress thread for my Masters Degree in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance with Western Govenors University.

I went back and forth several times between masters programs and eventually settled on WGU. My main factors of consideration were cost, time, and curriculum. In the end WGU gave me the lowest cost, saved me time (I already have my CEH & CHFI), and I've read several reviews attesting to the worth of the program.

At this point I have my transcripts and certifications sent and evaluated by the school. I am now waiting for my "official" acceptance to the program and verification of a 1 Feb 2017 start date.

Once I get that verification I will submit documentation to my employer attempting to get them to pay for my first session so I am out no money...Fingers crossed.

I will update this thread periodically as things come up. Not much information now, but feel free to ask any questions.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Way way way in the future, I hope to enroll in this program as well (it's in line with my professional career, unlike my BA)... So I look forward to following along with your journey and wish you the best of luck!

(And hope the program isn't too much more difficult when I eventually sign on, if that's the path I take)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I look forward to reading about your MSCSIA journey. I've gone back and forth between various WGU programs vs. GA Tech OMSCS vs doing nothing.

I've depleted my tuition reimbursement for the year, so I'm staying out of WGU grad programs until sometime next year. I'm going to time the start date so that I can draw upon tuition reimbursement again. I could try to get the department to pay, but they already spent $10k of specialized IT training on me and it's unusual for the department budget at my company to pay for degrees. For myself, I would not pursue any degree unless the company paid for it.

I'm not sure which grad program I'll do, but I'll decide after consulting with the boss and other executives.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I'm playing the IT career development budget game too, TrailRunr! I feel you.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I'm also playing said game. I've been told there is money available but not how much or what qualifies. So I'm just trying to prepare all of my paperwork as soon as possible to get any FY17 funds I can...if nothing comes through I'll probably hold of on the masters till funding other than my pocket or loans becomes available.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I received my acceptance/evaluation for the program, but for some reason they only accepted my CEH cert and not the CHFI. My enrollment counselor caught this quickly and resent my verification paperwork from EC-Council and said it should be re-evaluated and updated within a business day.

So far I'm pretty happy with my counselor, he is super helpful and has never been overbearing as I've heard can happen on occasion with WGU.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I had my "intake" interview with my enrollment counselor a week a go which I guess is the final "seriously I'm interested and understand school costs money," talk before they officially accept you. It really wasn't too bad, I just didn't understand the point of it since my enrollment counselor was pretty thorough and covered all my questions earlier on.

After that a few days later I got my official acceptance letter that outlined the courses and a detailed price breakdown for the program. This was important for me to be able to fill out the paperwork to apply for tuition aid. All paper work had been created and submitted. I really have no idea how long it will take to be approved or denied. No one in my area has applied for tuition assistance in years, and I'm even applying for a special tier for full coverage.

If everything goes well start date is set for 1 February 2017.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Thanks for the update, and good luck!

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

***Vent***

I'm stuck in this idiotic song and dance where the Government has the money and said they will pay for my school...and WGU wants money for me to go to school, but apparently the lines of communication are not there.

I've emailed/called/ 17 different people trying to get this figured out and I keep getting passed off to someone else. Granted I am in a unique situation, even for government Tuition Assistance.

I finally had a little progress yesterday with WGU's TA and VA office and I think...maybe they will have some answers for me in the next day or so.

banghead:toetap:banghead
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
Mike in the TA office at WGU is the man!!! He helped me get everything squared away with the school. My tuition assistance showed up Friday and I was cleared for the semester. I'm hoping to complete all of the mandatory orientation over a couple evenings this week so I can hit the ground running next week when my term starts.
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 517,220 Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Last Post: nykorn
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
Information MSK9's Medical School Thread & Guide MSK9 108 23,741 08-28-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Eastern University Update saturn366 5 1,408 03-21-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mysonx3's Law School Thread mysonx3 72 15,434 12-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Last Post: acethroughcollege
  WGU MSCSIA update. ChilliDawg 24 5,166 07-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  NationsU Progress Thread eriehiker 6 2,495 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  University of the People MBA 2018 updated thread GoodYellowDogs 11 3,306 12-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  One more "I'm done" thread - MBA edition Bibby 3 2,057 08-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: kb4ns1
  Yb1 Applying for Grad School Thread yb1 7 2,904 06-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Last Post: timokito