Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MY TESU Plan BSBA-CIS to BA CS/MATH
Hello All,

I recently applied, accepted and started classes at TESU mostly because of a change in my employers Tuition reimbursement plan.

THEN, I found the forums…Ugggh.

Background,
AAS Electronic Engineering Technology, ITT Tech
AS Liberal Arts, Community College(with some extra credits because I changed Major to Liberal Arts to Graduate)

So, I am currently enrolled as BA CS but will be changing this ASAP. I will try to complete my BSBA CIS then start on my BA CS/MATH. This site has so much information, it can be very hard to digest even with following the “Where to start” and WIKI pages. It has taken me several weeks of researching (Not just coming on the forum and saying “What should I do?”) but I have come up with a plan. I THINK??(LOL)

With the Help of dfrecore excel plans and several others through multiple searches this is what I have so far.

Let me know what you think of my plan.

Here are a few of the constraints that I am working under.
  1. Employer plan will only reimburse for ONE BACHELORS
  2. Only reimburses $5000 per year but will reimburse for CLEP/DSST.
  3. Second Degree from TESU requires 24 hours completed AFTER confirmation of 1st Degree (39 Hours for DM??I think. 24 AOS+24 AOS-9 that will double up)
  4. Finish 1st Degree quickly. Even though I need double the amount of credits, the BSBA CIS appears quicker.
  5. Trying not to get EARLY credit for BA CS/MATH that may double up.
  6. Not a lot of options for UL math at a low cost.

MY PLAN
IN PROGRESS
TES-100                                                @TESU  Already started
COS-101 Intro to computers        @TESU  Already started
Business Ethics                                  SL            Already started
American Politics                              SL            Already started
Business Law                                      SL
World Religion/Alit Clep                SL Intro to Religion/AI Clep          ??
Finance                                                CLEP
Management 301                             SL
Marketing                                           CLEP
Microeconomics                               SL (but don’t like idea of taking 24 tests)
Management -373                           ???
CAPSTONE-BUS421        
AOS
Programming C++                            SL
Sys Analysis/Design                         CSU(Appears I have to take for CIS, so cant save for BA)
Data Structures                                 ???
Networking                                        ??? Probably TECEP
CIS-301 UL                                           ED4Online
CIS-Elective UL                                  (Fund of Cybersecurity- ???,Software Engineering-Saylor)
CIS-Elective UL                                  (Strategic Info Tech-Saylor, Other CIS???)
BSBA-CIS                                             Degree (GOAL of APRIL 2018)

Double Major BA CS/Math  START
AOS
CALC II                                                  SL or SAYLOR (FITS in both AOS)
CACL III                                                 TESU 2018 (COMPANY REIMBURSE)
Discrete Math LL                               Can I get credit for this with Linear on Resume???
LINEAR ALGEBRA UL?                     TESU 2018(COMPANY REIMBURSE) (FITS in both AOS)
History of Math UL                          TESU 2018(COMPANY REIMBURSE)
MAT-351 MODELING UL                TESU 2019
MATH UL                                             TESU 2019
Software Engineering                     Saylor(can I use this toward AOS?, wont take with CIS then)
UL CS                                                     Several options for CS
UL CS                                                     Several options for CS
UL CS
UL CS
CAPSTONE                                          TESU 2019(COMPANY REIMBURSE)(FITS IN BOTH AOS)

BA CS/MATH                                    degree(GOAL of MARCH 2019)

It's hard to say if these are good options, because you haven't told us what you already have. So you should post your eval first, so we can see (sometimes things should be moved around, we can tell you if that's the case).

And then, you should not waste any money on classes at TESU, since they're way overpriced for Gen Eds and things like that. Save it for courses you can't find cheaper elsewhere.

Also, I might consider having your company pay for the more expensive degree. When you have a bunch of $100 courses, that you might be able to pay for fairly easily, and you could have them pay for the $1000 courses instead. Save the tuition reimbursement for the big stuff, pay for the little stuff yourself.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think you'll have problems finding UL for CS because you would be using them for CIS. In your own plan, you have no CS courses because Software Engineering which is already in your CIS plan. However if you're fine with those courses costing $800-$1100, you can find some.

Data Structures doesn't have a test out option. You have to take it at a community college, online or offline. Typically colleges require a prerequisite with at least a "C". They will generally not like the Straighterline course for a prereq since it's only ACE, but you can try.

Fundamentals of Cybersecurity is a good one, and the TECEP in Networking.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • ttower
Here's my BACS spreadsheet. Pay particular attention to the CS UL courses. I would save anything that counts as UL CS for AFTER the first degree, they are hard enough to find without wasting any. That includes Linear Algebra and the Saylor Software Engineering. Discrete Math and Linear Algebra are two completely separate courses, so no doubling up there.

Attached Files
.xls   TESU BA Computer Science 2017-1.xls (Size: 27 KB / Downloads: 45)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • ttower, Yenisei
I agree, UL CS should be saved unless you really want to take those as "slow" traditional courses.

Wow, I just noticed you're paying TESU for COS-101? I think it's easy and $95 at Davar.

If possible, save some of your company reimbursement for the residency waiver fee and graduation fee, by taking much less at TESU.

The TESU cornerstone can be waived with Study.com affiliation, and Study.com affiliation also saves $500 on the residency waiver, and saves you on course tuition.

(11-16-2017, 11:22 AM)Ideas Wrote: I agree, UL CS should be saved unless you really want to take those as "slow" traditional courses.

Wow, I just noticed you're paying TESU for COS-101? I think it's easy and $95 at Davar.

If possible, save some of your company reimbursement for the residency waiver fee and graduation fee, by taking much less at TESU.

The TESU cornerstone can be waived with Study.com affiliation, and Study.com affiliation also saves $500 on the residency waiver, and saves you on course tuition.
Unfortunately, I had already signed up for courses with intention of company reimbursement before I found this site.

I also will not be able to be reimbursed for Residency waiver for 1st degree as they will only reimburse for Bachelors. That is why I am doing the DM second. I will just pay for the first out of pocket because I believe I will need to take a couple UL CS and UL Math at places that are not $100.

I had already signed up for the Cornerstone and completed it in a day and a half. Again, before I found you fine folks here. Undecided
I have a silly question. Can you do the BACS first? The company can pay for the expensive UL CS courses and the BSBA-CIS stuff is easy to find as cheap alternative credit.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

So, I have sent in my email to change to BSBA-CIS.

But, here is my evaluation I had for BACS. The GenEDs in blue will probably be Req in CIS. When I get my official Eval on Changed Major, I will post it.

Thank you all for the input.

GEN ED'S
ENGLISH                           AOK
COMMUNICATION              AOK
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY   AOK W/ Finite Math
DIVERSITY                        AOK  W/Sociology
INFO LITERACY                  NEED 2 HOURS
ETHICS                              NEED 3 HOURS (Taking SL BUS-106 now, just need final)
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT           NEED 3 HOURS (Taking SL  POLS-101 now, 2 exams left)
HUMAN CULTURES             AOK w/ 2 HISTORY/ ART/ MACROEC
NATURAL WORLD              AOK w/ CHEMISTRY 1110 w/LAB
ELECTIVES(TES-100)+       AOK W/PYS, MUSIC, PRECALC I, PRECALC II, FILM, GEOGRAPHY, MICROCOMP APP

AOS 36SH, 15UL
ONLY CREDIT HERE IS 4 hours for my Calculus class.
NEED--
COS-101 (prereq for other CS)
DATA STRUCTURES
LINEAR OR DISCRETE MATH
CALCULUS   2 MORE CREDITS

PLUS
7-AOS COURSES (5 MUST BE UPPER LEVEL)
CAPSTONE

EXTRA ELECTIVES (Some will cross to CIS)
Accounting I
Accounting II
Nutrition
Statistics
Personal Health
Physical Science
Astronomy
World Lit since 1650

(11-16-2017, 03:09 PM)davewill Wrote: I have a silly question. Can you do the BACS first? The company can pay for the expensive UL CS courses and the BSBA-CIS stuff is easy to find as cheap alternative credit.

I could do it first but would have a few constraints like. Them only paying for 3 classes a year($5000 max) they pay books and some extra fees which should easily gets to $5000 if at TESU. I could get reimbursed for TES-100, COS-101, plus I could start 2 more courses in DEC and count toward 2017. 3-4 courses in 2018 still leaves me short and I believe these courses will take longer.

I feel I can SL and DSST the CIS course within a few months, hopefully by April if CAPSTONE goes well, and HAVE ONE DEGREE.

The Second Degree claims any classes must be COMPLETED AFTER first degree. So, I could start a class before 1st Degree is finished, as long as class ends AFTER 1st degree confirmation. (I hope)

Again, I think that you should consider having them pay for the CS degree, because the CIS degree is going to be much cheaper.  Once you use the $5k this year for fees, and then you use another $5k for 2018, and then possibly another $5k for 2019, you'll have the expensive CS degree paid for, and it might only be a little over a year (maybe 14 months).  The money would be well-spent on expensive courses costing $1000 each.

THEN, with only 24cr remaining, and most of those costing $100 per course, you're looking at only spending $800 for courses, and then fees of around $2132.

If you do it the other way around, you're looking at your company paying less than $5000 for the BSBA now (probably most of it in 2018), and then you having to pay ~$5000 for courses plus the $2132 in fees.  So going from paying ~$3000 out of pocket to over $7000 out of pocket for the second degree being CS instead of CIS.

Unless you just happen to have thousands of dollars sitting around collecting dust, it doesn't make a ton of sense to do it this way.

But, here is a spreadsheet showing the BSBA in CIS degree.

Attached Files
.xlsx   ttower TESU BSBA CIS.xlsx (Size: 54.24 KB / Downloads: 28)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ttower
(11-16-2017, 03:30 PM)ttower Wrote: I could do it first but would have a few constraints like. Them only paying for 3 classes a year($5000 max) they pay books and some extra fees which should easily gets to $5000 if at TESU. I could get reimbursed for TES-100, COS-101, plus I could start 2 more courses in DEC and count toward 2017. 3-4 courses in 2018 still leaves me short and I believe these courses will take longer.

I feel I can SL and DSST the CIS course within a few months, hopefully by April if CAPSTONE goes well, and HAVE ONE DEGREE.

The Second Degree claims any classes must be COMPLETED AFTER first degree. So, I could start a class before 1st Degree is finished, as long as class ends AFTER 1st degree confirmation. (I hope)

Yes, but you only need a few expensive courses, the rest can be gotten as tests and alternative credit. Use your 2017 money to get LinAlg, and two other UL CS courses in (say AI and Operating Systems), and you'll be able to afford the rest out of pocket.

If speed is all important and you can do the BSBA faster, I get it though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 704 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,255 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 396 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 594 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 434 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,102 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,341 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,035 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,166 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane