Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 More question please :)
Ok so I have researched and researched the big 3 and I just about thought I had my mind made up about applying at TESC.... and then I learned TESC does not award Latin honor distinctions (ie: cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude). I think this is important not just for personal reasons but for grad schools as well. EC does award Latin honors so I am thinking they should be my #1.

From their site:

"Baccalaureate Degrees (Latin Honors)

Cum Laude 3.5 – 3.74
Magna Cum Laude 3.75 – 3.89
Summa Cum Laude 3.9 and above

Baccalaureate graduates who have earned at least 60 graded credits are eligible for Academic Honors designation. All graded credits that are applied toward the degree, including transfer credit will be taken into account when calculating the overall GPA."

I will be transferring 85 graded credits mostly A's, a couple B's and a couple C's from back in the day. If I choose EC I and retest on the classes that I have C's in and replace those with "credit" correct? Then my GPA remains built on A's and B's and whatever future coursework is required correct? This is seeming like a better plan since I really want to pursue grade school. BUT... EC also assigns grades on their course equivalency tests correct? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? as far as the BSBA at EC how much of it can one test out of?

I guess my question is... It seems TESC doesn't award honors but it is easier to get and maintain a 4.0 where as EC does award honors but because everything is graded maybe getting and keeping a high GPA for those coveted honors distinctions might be harder... true?

What do guy guys think... And what is the story with OCSC and honors? I wasn't able to find very much on the subject. Thanks all!
Hi there!

When I was at COSC's June graduation ceremony, they did indeed have honors recognition, but this would not be an option unless you wanted to take a lot of classes at COSC. I was walking in the ceremony near someone who was particularly upset that she didn't qualify for honors because she transferred in most of her credits. According to her, you're only eligible if you take 30 or more credits at COSC.

I didn't particularly care about this one way or the other so I have no idea if what this person told me was true or not, but it kind of makes sense. I can see why a school with little to no residency requirement wouldn't hand out honors to just anyone.

From a resume perspective, no matter where you go to school or how you graduate, you can ALWAYS put your GPA on your resume if it makes sense. For example, if you graduate with a 4.0 and for whatever reason, you do not receive the recognition you want from your alma mater, it will look just as good to say "BSBA TESC 4.0 GPA"... or whatever would apply to your situation. Once you have some experience on your resume no one will really care anyhow unless you work in a very competitive or academic environment and if they're really all that particular about the details of your college education, CLEP and DSST on a transcript probably won't cut it anyhow.

HTH!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I've done some checking into COSC's requirements for honors awards, since I too am interested in maintaining a high enough GPA to gain honors designation for future grad school benefit. COSC doesn't offer latin honors, but they do award honors designation. From what I have read, the way COSC awards honors is as follows:

Charter Oak State College Honors are awarded to baccalaureate students who have taken at least 30 credits in Charter Oak courses and earned at least a 3.5 GPA in those credits. Honors in General Scholarship are awarded to either associates students who earn at least a 3.5 GPA via at least 30 graded credits (from any source) or to baccalaureate students who earn at least a 3.5 GPA with at least 60 graded credits (from any source.)

So, if you can manage to get a 3.5 GPA, you only need to have 60 graded credits to get get honors status. If you take classes at COSC directly, then all you need is 30 credits. You can still get the 60 graded credits via a high testing regimen, as long as you make sure to include graded DSSTs and ECE's as a large part of your test plan, and take as many other graded units from other sources as you can. For COSC this includes Straighterline for sure, and I believe Penn Foster as well, but I'm not completely sure on the PF stuff.

That is what I'm planning to do. I should end up around 65 graded credits if they don't refresh any more DSSTs before I finish testing out.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'm not sure how a graduate school would be any less impressed by, say,

B.S., Business Administration, Charter Oak State College, GPA 3.5

than

B.S., Business Administration, Charter Oak State College, magna cum laude

Even graduate school people can read numbers better than Latin! Tongue
It doesn't matter I'm sure... from what I can tell the base GPA and the admissions essays/interviews/recommendations bear more weight in any case, but if you can achieve it, why not strive for it? Having a goal is always motivating IMO. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,392 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,619 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,958 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,969 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,795 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,997 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,940 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,615 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201