Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Computer Science TESC
I always compare the rigor of an online degree like TESC's and Exelsior's with one of my local b&m schools.
I was almost enrolled in FSU's BA comp sci degree program a few years ago and this page on their site lists the differences between the BS and BA.

FSU Computer Science -

It amounts to a foreign language requirement of the BA and less rigorous math. The BSCS actually includes a minor in mathematics, which is insane if you are not a math wizard or if your career interests are more along the lines of applied computer science instead of theoretical.
In my area, there are many many jobs for software developers, analysts, testers, network administrators, systems admins, dbas etc but hardly any "computer science" jobs which are more research focused. So compare TESC's BACS to FSU's BACS and you will see that they are pretty similar in rigor, which is a good thing.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Quote:the information on this thread is extremely valuable for a CS major. I am leaving Excelsior's BSIT because TESC's BA CS is much more traditional and I believe that [if I do well] it will be my ticket into grad school.

Beargins I agree we needed some more discussion and experiences for those wanting to go to Grad school for CS. We went the TESC BA CS route for that reason and we tried to complete a a course of study that would prepare for graduate level work. Like Ryan said the TESC BA and the FSU BA are very similar if you take Computer Architecture and Operating Systems, along with Discrete, Data Structures, and Programming courses at TESC. My son is into his first semester which includes the two leveling courses which are required in the FSU BS CA degree, (Algorythms and Computer Theory) and for the Graduate program. He is also taking Research and Computer Security.

It is important to note that he ended up going with a Graduate Teachers Assistant position which gives him a full tuition waiver and gives him a monthly stipend which pays for most other expenses. We discussed it and went the TA route for the following reason....the SFS is great, but if at any point during the process anything unexpected happens you are required to repay the amount given to you in full. With a TA position nothing has to be repaid. So our strategy is to go with TA the first year which also provides the work experience (Teachers Assistant) then apply for the SFS the second year. Overall it costs me a little more in misc expenses, but I'm fine with that. What this means for others thinking of going to a B&M for their Masters CS is....THERE IS GRANT MONEY OUT THERE THAT WILL FUND GRADUATE SCHOOL. 90 percent + of FSU CS Grad students are funded. Most research universities have a similar rate. The research projects that the professors are doing include grant money for students. BTW the TA position consists of keeping office hours and grading papers for the Intro to Computing type of course that non-majors are required to take. It is a great gig.

Quote:TESC requires calc 1 and 2, Linear algebra or discrete math. TESC's comprehensive plan also seems great for people with less than 1 1/2 remaining in school.

Very true and very doable.

Quote:The BSCS actually includes a minor in mathematics, which is insane if you are not a math wizard or if your career interests are more along the lines of applied computer science instead of theoretical.

So far the Computer Theory, Computer Security and Research classes are very doable. The Algorithms class is challenging (it is also the FSU BS CS Capstone type course needed for ABET accreditation). I asked him if it was more like the challenge of Discrete Math or Calculus and he said it was more like advanced Calculus. His take is that many of the professors are Mathematicians who have crossed over to CS. That could be a generational thing since there are no 20 something professors but it also indicates that you are going to need a strong foundation in Calculus for a more theory based grad program. I'll keep you posted on his progress.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Hey do you guys know where TESC lists the advanced math courses and their schedules? I cannot find anything higher than calc II and discrete math for fall 11/spring 2012. I'd be willing to take a few more math courses as electives if TESC has them available. If you look here, the courses are not listed: Thomas Edison State College/ Course Offerings

Its kind of strange because I looked at the math major and it requires a lot of advanced math courses that are not listed on that page, see here: Thomas Edison State College | BA in Mathematics Credit Distribution
Thats the BA Math... I guess my question is, how does TESC expect you to take those courses, and are there additional courses available that they do not list on their course page?
Thanks.
TESC doesn't offer many of the courses that are required for its majors. The entire BA CS is completable through testing and TESC courses though AFAIK.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,966 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,547 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,645 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,702 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,481 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,206 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,365 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,285 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  COSC Science Lab -- ed4credit accepted? stampbuyme 7 1,788 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,553 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock