Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question
For the ASNSM in Computer Science at TESU:

Is it currently possible to knock out both Math requirements with ALEKS?

College Algebra @ ALEKS maps to Mat 102 under Quantitative Literacy.

Does ALEKS have anything to map to/fufulfill the 3 credits need for (Section E.) Mathematics?
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
If you're planning to move forward into a bachelor's in CS, I would go ahead and pursue Calc I. If that's too big a bite, you could do Trig at ALEKS, which should fill that spot and help you get ready for calculus.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • AwardTour, Yenisei
(05-02-2018, 07:32 PM)AwardTour Wrote: For the ASNSM in Computer Science at TESU:

Does ALEKS have anything to map to/fufulfill the 3 credits need for (Section E.) Mathematics?

ALEKS College Algebra maps to MAT-121 (College Algebra) at TESU, which can be used to fulfill the Quant Lit GenEd requirement in Section A.

As for Section E, for the ASNSM-CS I'm pretty sure you can use any college-level math course for that, but like davewill mentions, if you're aiming to eventually end up in a BA in Computer Science you might want to add a math course that will prep you for the math requirements needed for that. So you may want to look at Straighterline for Calculus I after using ALEKS for College Algebra (or College Algebra with Trig) since ALEKS doesn't currently offer a college credit recommended Calculus course.

Alternatively, you could take College Algebra and Precalculus at ALEKS, to prep you for taking Calculus I somewhere else.

If you don't plan to move onto the BACS then you can take any math you like for E. If you want to move on to a BSBA instead, then you should take statistics as the math course for E.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • AwardTour
(05-02-2018, 08:56 PM)davewill Wrote: If you're planning to move forward into a bachelor's in CS, I would go ahead and pursue Calc I. If that's too big a bite, you could do Trig at ALEKS, which should fill that spot and help you get ready for calculus.

It honestly might be too big of a bite and I am not sure I will pursue the Bachelor's in CS.

(05-02-2018, 09:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 07:32 PM)AwardTour Wrote: For the ASNSM in Computer Science at TESU:

ALEKS College Algebra maps to MAT-121 (College Algebra) at TESU, which can be used to fulfill the Quant Lit GenEd requirement in Section A.

As for Section E, for the ASNSM-CS I'm pretty sure you can use any college-level math course for that, but like davewill mentions, if you're aiming to eventually end up in a BA in Computer Science you might want to add a math course that will prep you for the math requirements needed for that. So you may want to look at Straighterline for Calculus I after using ALEKS for College Algebra (or College Algebra with Trig) since ALEKS doesn't currently offer a college credit recommended Calculus course.

Alternatively, you could take College Algebra and Precalculus at ALEKS, to prep you for taking Calculus I somewhere else.

If you don't plan to move onto the BACS then you can take any math you like for E. If you want to move on to a BSBA instead, then you should take statistics as the math course for E.
Now ALEKS Statistics has a bad reputation here, is Stats even an option right now with ALEKS? I did not see it mentioned in any recent ALEKS threads and I know some courses are no longer available for ACE credit like Intermediate Algebra, I wonder if that is the same story with Statistics?

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
It'd be a shame if you pass up on a CS degree just because of calculus. TESU has already scaled back the math requirements for this degree- a second calculus course and Linear Algebra used to be required as well.
(05-03-2018, 03:39 AM)AwardTour Wrote: Now ALEKS Statistics has a bad reputation here, is Stats even an option right now with ALEKS? I did not see it mentioned in any recent ALEKS threads and I know some courses are no longer available for ACE credit like Intermediate Algebra, I wonder if that is the same story with Statistics?

Aleks offers 3 ACE recommended statistics courses: Intro to Statistics, Business Statistics (UL), and Stats for Behavioral Sciences (UL).

As for Aleks having a bad reputation for Statistics, I think that has more to do with how tough Stats is, rather than a specific problem with the Aleks courses. Doubly so since the Straighterline Business Statistics and Study.com Principles of Statistics (Stats 101) are more theory-based with less math, which makes them easier to complete. Obviously, the Aleks versions take a math-centric approach so may spend less time on the theory. Which is where supplementing Aleks with Khan Academy (or going through the Khan Academy material before Aleks) may be helpful.

There are also folks who didn't have problems with the Aleks statistics courses too. It depends on learning style and math background. If you're a high-visual learner and already have a good grasp of the prerequisite math concepts (looks like college algebra level at least), you may be fine with the Aleks versions of statistics. If not, one of the other options may be better.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(05-03-2018, 06:41 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 03:39 AM)AwardTour Wrote: Now ALEKS Statistics has a bad reputation here, is Stats even an option right now with ALEKS? I did not see it mentioned in any recent ALEKS threads and I know some courses are no longer available for ACE credit like Intermediate Algebra, I wonder if that is the same story with Statistics?

Aleks offers 3 ACE recommended statistics courses: Intro to Statistics, Business Statistics (UL), and Stats for Behavioral Sciences (UL).

As for Aleks having a bad reputation for Statistics, I think that has more to do with how tough Stats is, rather than a specific problem with the Aleks courses. Doubly so since the Straighterline Business Statistics and Study.com Principles of Statistics (Stats 101) are more theory-based with less math, which makes them easier to complete. Obviously, the Aleks versions take a math-centric approach so may spend less time on the theory. Which is where supplementing Aleks with Khan Academy (or going through the Khan Academy material before Aleks) may be helpful.

There are also folks who didn't have problems with the Aleks statistics courses too. It depends on learning style and math background. If you're a high-visual learner and already have a good grasp of the prerequisite math concepts (looks like college algebra level at least), you may be fine with the Aleks versions of statistics. If not, one of the other options may be better.

Merlin,

Which Stats class is required for your BSBA-CIS? is it Intro to Stats or Business Statistics? What are your thoughts on doing both and using one as an elective?  

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(05-03-2018, 06:51 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 06:41 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Merlin,

Which Stats class is required for your BSBA-CIS? is it Intro to Stats or Business Statistics? What are your thoughts on doing both and using one as an elective?  

TESU doesn't appear to differentiate between UL and LL stats courses on transfer... they all come in as STA-201 (Principles of Statistics). So it doesn't really matter which you take. However, since they all duplicate there really is no advantage to taking more than one.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,981 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,109 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,645 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,346 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,594 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore