Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100% test out of BA/BS possible?
Hello!  I'm new to the forums and I'm still learning and figuring all this out.  So I just want to thank anyone who takes their time to respond and point me in the right direction.

Basically, I need a bachelor's degree in anything just to show that I have one.  I came across something about completely testing out of a bachelor's degree in less than a year for $5-$10 grand, and that led me here to these forums.

Is this truly possible?  I read that some of these universities have limited the amount of credits you can transfer to 114-117 and you're now required to take a cornerstone and capstone class.  Is there a regionally accredited university in which I can completely test out without taking a single class?  If possible what are my degree options?  General studies?  Completely testing out specifically got my attention because papers, projects, and essays are nightmare fuel.  I'd feel much more confident studying and passing a test.

For some background, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do out of high school, ended up passing on university, and I've spent the last decade caring for nieces and nephews, some of which are special needs.  I'm currently at a point in my life where I'd like to get away and do something with and for myself.

I'm looking into becoming an ALT (assistant language teacher) in Asia, I've always wanted to spend time over there but never really thought I'd get the chance.  However, there are a number of teach abroad programs and job listings that I've been looking at that don't require any professional experience but require a BA/BS (in any field) and that you be a native English speaker.  If I can manage to get a bachelor's degree relatively quick, easy, and on the cheap, I plan on getting TEFL (teaching English as a foriegn language) certification and trying my luck with a program.

That's my situation, if you have any knowledge or advice to drop, please share!
[-] The following 1 user Likes flotsamjotsam's post:
  • NolaRice
(08-21-2019, 07:01 PM)flotsamjotsam Wrote: Hello!  I'm new to the forums and I'm still learning and figuring all this out.  So I just want to thank anyone who takes their time to respond and point me in the right direction.

Basically, I need a bachelor's degree in anything just to show that I have one.  I came across something about completely testing out of a bachelor's degree in less than a year for $5-$10 grand, and that led me here to these forums.

Is this truly possible?  I read that some of these universities have limited the amount of credits you can transfer to 114-117 and you're now required to take a cornerstone and capstone class.  Is there a regionally accredited university in which I can completely test out without taking a single class?  If possible what are my degree options?  General studies?  Completely testing out specifically got my attention because papers, projects, and essays are nightmare fuel.  I'd feel much more confident studying and passing a test.

For some background, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do out of high school, ended up passing on university, and I've spent the last decade caring for nieces and nephews, some of which are special needs.  I'm currently at a point in my life where I'd like to get away and do something with and for myself.

I'm looking into becoming an ALT (assistant language teacher) in Asia, I've always wanted to spend time over there but never really thought I'd get the chance.  However, there are a number of teach abroad programs and job listings that I've been looking at that don't require any professional experience but require a BA/BS (in any field) and that you be a native English speaker.  If I can manage to get a bachelor's degree relatively quick, easy, and on the cheap, I plan on getting TEFL (teaching English as a foriegn language) certification and trying my luck with a program.

The Big 3 all require capstones, to my knowledge. I think WGU would be the best fit - if you know the material, you can test out of every class. They even have a teachers' college: https://www.wgu.edu/online-teaching-degrees.html

WGU is regionally accredited. The cost is $3,225 per six-month term and you can finish in one term if you're dedicated enough and have no life lol.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
I believe that all WGU undergrad teachers programs lead to licensure and require in-person practicum.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • NolaRice
Could go for a non-teaching degree as well if the goal is just to teach ESL abroad.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
There is no possible degree you can 100% test out of. Also many of the Upper level sources of alternative credit require projects and papers.

As others said Wgu might be your best bet. They have degrees in Business which could be fast and 100% online.
WGU has a capstone for their business degree. UWisc might not for their IT degree. I'd look for one without a capstone if possible. Do you have any IT knowledge already? Are you fine with taking accounting and economics classes, and statistics, for a business degree?

(08-21-2019, 07:01 PM)flotsamjotsam Wrote: Hello!  I'm new to the forums and I'm still learning and figuring all this out.  So I just want to thank anyone who takes their time to respond and point me in the right direction.

It is no longer available to test out 100% - it was at one time for a few limited degree options.  Now you will have to complete at least two courses with the school of your choice; the cornerstone and capstone (Excelsior doesn't have the cornerstone yet, but it has been posted that it is expected in early 2020).   Due to some of the new existing credit requirements for taking the capstone - it is reasonable this time you're looking at approximately a year from start to finish - as the quickest possible time frame (even if you finish all your credits in 9 months - the graduation date is usually a few months out). The price point of $5k - $10k is legitimate, and all the schools we focus on here (the Big3) are regionally accredited (RA - https://www.geteducated.com/regional-vs-...e-colleges)

If you have not looked at the Forum Wiki I recommend that you do; the link is here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

WGU is not a test out option; it is a competency based program. That along with its affordability makes it very popular, especially for IT - however, it is not a test out degree (although it offers the ability to transfer in a good portion of test available credits prior to enrolling). Also, to be 100% clear - You cannot complete an education degree from WGU in one term.  It is possible to do so for a business or IT degree if you are highly knowledgeable already in the area of study, and you have some credits to transfer in prior to enrolling (since it would take you need to count that time to earn those credits for transfer - you're still likely looking at a year)

Strictly based on your requirements and goal, a General Liberal Art Degree (BALS or BSLS) would likely be your best option. Currently COSC is the lowest cost of the Big3 for this type of degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • davewill
(08-22-2019, 07:27 AM)allvia Wrote:

It is no longer available to test out 100% - it was at one time for a few limited degree options.  Now you will have to complete at least two courses with the school of your choice; the cornerstone and capstone (Excelsior doesn't have the cornerstone yet, but it has been posted that it is expected in early 2020).   Due to some of the new existing credit requirements for taking the capstone - it is reasonable this time you're looking at approximately a year from start to finish - as the quickest possible time frame (even if you finish all your credits in 9 months - the graduation date is usually a few months out). The price point of $5k - $10k is legitimate, and all the schools we focus on here (the Big3) are regionally accredited (RA - https://www.geteducated.com/regional-vs-...e-colleges)

If you have not looked at the Forum Wiki I recommend that you do; the link is here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

WGU is not a test out option; it is a competency based program. That along with its affordability makes it very popular, especially for IT - however, it is not a test out degree (although it offers the ability to transfer in a good portion of test available credits prior to enrolling). Also, to be 100% clear - You cannot complete an education degree from WGU in one term.  It is possible to do so for a business or IT degree if you are highly knowledgeable already in the area of study, and you have some credits to transfer in prior to enrolling (since it would take you need to count that time to earn those credits for transfer - you're still likely looking at a year)

Strictly based on your requirements and goal, a General Liberal Art Degree (BALS or BSLS) would likely be your best option. Currently COSC is the lowest cost of the Big3 for this type of degree.
I agree.

If you want an actual education degree and don't mind taking longer... Go to WGU

If you have a lot of prior knowledge or experience with business... Go to WGU

If you you have a lot of prior knowledge or experience with IT... Go to WGU 

If none of these are true for all other situations ...... 

Choose one fo the big 3. Charter Oak is the cheapest and as far speed they are all about the same liberal studies/general studies is the quickest and most flexible.

From the day you apply to the school until degree conferral you are looking at year minimum.
I haven't kept up with all the other competency-based degrees, but I would consider UWisc, NAU, etc especially if you have IT knowledge.

Note that competency-based degrees often have courses with papers. So even if you find one without a capstone, there could be papers.

Unless you have prior knowledge, I'd go with COSC's BALS/BSLS. It's pretty flexible, and there are a million places to take courses/exams for all of the credit except the cornerstone and capstone.

If you go the COSC route, I would also get maybe 75cr under your belt including everything you need for an AA in General Studies, sign up for the cornerstone, take it and then graduate. That way, you get the cornerstone out of your way and will be ready for the capstone sooner. During that time, you'll have access to advisors, and you can get all the info you need to choose your concentration or figure out what courses you'll need for your capstone (you need to get it all approved before you can enroll in it). That way, you have all of your ducks in a row before you need the info.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun, TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 503 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,583 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 953 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 866 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 791 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Med School Tutors now part of Blueprint Test Prep! bjcheung77 0 489 11-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Management Test Battery (MTB) Exam? Merlin 9 4,495 03-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  A college like WGU where I can test out of a degree Fast!! Please help!! Forest.green1 14 4,655 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  DSST offering free test retakes thru 9/30 cwendy111 0 1,198 08-08-2019, 06:43 PM
Last Post: cwendy111