Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
109 credits in 10 months
(10-25-2019, 11:28 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 11:03 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 10:25 AM)sanantone Wrote: I just scanned over the posts, but did you apply to the IRS? They're still on a hiring spree. The Revenue Agent, Revenue Officer, and Tax Compliance Officer positions would be valuable experience.  Also, consider becoming an Enrolled Agent and apply for jobs during tax season.

One-page resume advice is outdated. I keep my resume at two to three pages, which is acceptable for anyone who has been working 10+ years.

Yes, I've applied to the IRS, every position that has opened in Maitland and I also picked a northern Michigan location just in case. There hasn't been a pathways position posted- so I've just applied for regular positions.
Did you apply to the Florida Department of Revenue?

Yes, they require 3 years of accounting experience for every position that I've come across so far. I usually get the rejection email a minute or so after I submit the application. I guess I could lie about the experience, but, that seems sort of pointless. Their revenue clerk positions only pay $19,000 annually for full time. Their accountant position only pays $24,000 per year for full time. I'm immediately automatically disqualified for any I apply for. I would come out further ahead cashiering at the local Tractor Supply or Mcdonalds.. lol
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(10-25-2019, 11:43 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 10:25 AM)sanantone Wrote: I just scanned over the posts, but did you apply to the IRS? They're still on a hiring spree. The Revenue Agent, Revenue Officer, and Tax Compliance Officer positions would be valuable experience.  Also, consider becoming an Enrolled Agent and apply for jobs during tax season.

One-page resume advice is outdated. I keep my resume at two to three pages, which is acceptable for anyone who has been working 10+ years.

Yes, I've applied to the IRS, every position that has opened in Maitland and I also picked a northern Michigan location just in case. There hasn't been a pathways position posted- so I've just applied for regular positions.

Yes, they require 3 years of accounting experience for every position that I've come across so far. I usually get the rejection email a minute or so after I submit the application. I guess I could lie about the experience, but, that seems sort of pointless. Their revenue clerk positions only pay $19,000 annually for full time. Their accountant position only pays $24,000 per year for full time. I'm immediately automatically disqualified for any I apply for. I would come out further ahead cashiering at the local Tractor Supply or Mcdonalds.. lol

And, I thought the pay at the Texas Comptroller's Office was pitiful. LOL. We have GS 12s in Dallas complaining about IRS pay, and they're making over $80k. I tell them that they can go do the same job for the state and make half as much.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(10-25-2019, 11:53 AM)sanantone Wrote:

And, I thought the pay at the Texas Comptroller's Office was pitiful. LOL. We have GS 12s in Dallas complaining about IRS pay, and they're making over $80k. I tell them that they can go do the same job for the state and make half as much.
LOL, yeah, we can't get much lower. What I've seen, is that State of Florida will wait until they are going to be violating minimum wage laws and then they bump the pay up a dollar an hour so that it will be several years before they have to bump again due to minimum wage going up. Minimum wage will be $8.56 in January, so they've still got a couple years before they need to increase it again. Though, I dunno, Fiscal Clerk II only pays $9.19 an hour, so it may almost be due for a bump up just because Fiscal Clerk I has to be close to or at minimum wage.
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
(10-25-2019, 12:05 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 11:53 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 11:03 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Yes, I've applied to the IRS, every position that has opened in Maitland and I also picked a northern Michigan location just in case. There hasn't been a pathways position posted- so I've just applied for regular positions.

LOL, yeah, we can't get much lower. What I've seen, is that State of Florida will wait until they are going to be violating minimum wage laws and then they bump the pay up a dollar an hour so that it will be several years before they have to bump again due to minimum wage going up. Minimum wage will be $8.56 in January, so they've still got a couple years before they need to increase it again. Though, I dunno, Fiscal Clerk II only pays $9.19 an hour, so it may almost be due for a bump up just because Fiscal Clerk I has to be close to or at minimum wage.

Texas follows the federal minimum wage. If it were up to the state, there would be no minimum wage. However, many of the cities and counties have living wage rules for government employees. They use some university study that's updated yearly.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-25-2019, 10:03 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: My resume is pretty clear, if they'd read it at all they would see that the library job I did for 5 years was essentially an administrative assistant position with pretty much the same duties.

I used to be a director for a large educational department, and regularly had to hire staff and I promise you that your average hiring manager gets hundreds of resumes a day and spends MAYBE 15 seconds on each one before putting it in the 'no' pile. What may be clear to you after having spent hours on your resume about your own lived experience will not be at all obvious to someone who's never met you, has a sea of resumes to read through, and a bunch of other duties and interruptions.

Rather than throwing out your resume to every job you see, I'd recommend changing your tactic up a little and adapting your resume for each job you see. So if your library job was similar to being an admin assistant, and this one job wants someone with admin assistant experience, you need to paint your library job in that light. Call it a 'library administrative assistant' If you want. Under your job duties, check to make sure each bullet point relates back to a point in the job advertisement itself. Pick out the key words in the job advertisement, and use those in your duty descriptions.

'Essentially' the same isn't good enough. Unfortunately, you'll have to hand-feed the hiring manager with your capabilities and capacities.

It's more work, but when you're job searching, your job is to find a job. Which means making it as easy as possible for the hiring manager to hire you. Assume they will spend no more than 10 seconds on your resume before deciding whether to have a better look - does your history and experience overtly relate to the job position? Can I immediately tell you are perfect for the job? Or do I have to read through your entire resume and try to guess whether your job in the library will have enough transferable skills to the job opening I have?

If I have to spend more than 10 seconds trying to work out whether a resume is even a potential match, then it's a definite no. Hiring managers don't have time to determine 'close enough' - it's a harsh dichotomy, and if you need to be a definite yes to even have a chance.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kartvelian's post:
  • davewill, Muldoon
(10-25-2019, 10:03 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 09:07 AM)davewill Wrote: Have you tried public accounting firms? They do hire new grads who are working on their CPA, and that experience is gold for moving into private companies later. In the worst case, I'd suggest taking one of the administrative assistant positions and parley it into the accounting dept. At small companies, the admin staff gets to know EVERYONE, and once the accounting manager becomes aware of your background, you might find it easy to move.

I haven't been picky- I've been applying anywhere that had even an accounting contingent position. I've gone to a few administrative assistant interviews and been told I didn't have adequate experience. My resume is pretty clear, if they'd read it at all they would see that the library job I did for 5 years was essentially an administrative assistant position with pretty much the same duties. I know I've applied to a couple public accounting firms, but, even though there are a lot of jobs, there are even more applicants. For a brief while I had Linkedin platinum where you get to see how you compare to others applying for the same job. There were often 700+ other applicants for the same accounting clerk job and 20 of those people had masters degrees. I'm going to need a masters degree to be competitive for a $12 an hour accounting clerk job.. lol 

When it comes to resumes it's not about what they're willing to read (resume reviewers scan, they don't read), it's about how and what you have presented - https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/an-examp...perts.html
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(10-25-2019, 01:10 PM)allvia Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 10:03 AM)Jenniferinfl Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 09:07 AM)davewill Wrote: Have you tried public accounting firms? They do hire new grads who are working on their CPA, and that experience is gold for moving into private companies later. In the worst case, I'd suggest taking one of the administrative assistant positions and parley it into the accounting dept. At small companies, the admin staff gets to know EVERYONE, and once the accounting manager becomes aware of your background, you might find it easy to move.

I haven't been picky- I've been applying anywhere that had even an accounting contingent position. I've gone to a few administrative assistant interviews and been told I didn't have adequate experience. My resume is pretty clear, if they'd read it at all they would see that the library job I did for 5 years was essentially an administrative assistant position with pretty much the same duties. I know I've applied to a couple public accounting firms, but, even though there are a lot of jobs, there are even more applicants. For a brief while I had Linkedin platinum where you get to see how you compare to others applying for the same job. There were often 700+ other applicants for the same accounting clerk job and 20 of those people had masters degrees. I'm going to need a masters degree to be competitive for a $12 an hour accounting clerk job.. lol 

When it comes to resumes it's not about what they're willing to read (resume reviewers scan, they don't read), it's about how and what you have presented - https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/an-examp...perts.html

That's the format that mine is in- I saw that article and used that as my template back in July. I have no more than 4 bullet points per job title and they are very focused.
Sophia(2 credits)
Many resumes never see daylight, more or less by a hiring manager because of ATS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applicant_tracking_system).
Step 1. Get past the ATS program.
Step 2. Get past the hiring manager (to schedule a preliminary phone call).
Step 3. Give a great interview in 10 minutes and proceed with additional rounds of interviews.
The bottom-line, if you can't get past step 1 and step 2, its going to be challenging, not impossible, to land a higher paying job.

Re-do your resume. Google: ats optimized resume
Best of luck and congrats on finishing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HogwartsSchool's post:
  • shadowgem
I'm also going to say that you need to network, network, network. My husband has changed jobs multiple times in the last 20 years, and not a single one of them was due to him submitting an application. Instead, he let people he know he was looking for work. The last time he filled out an application was for his current job AFTER he was offered the position - they asked him to fill out the app for documentation purposes.

Tell everyone you know that you're looking for an accounting job. Ask them to tell everyone they know. Follow-up. Join an organization of accountants locally. The only way to get past that darn ATS program is to not go through it at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, davewill, Nixi
(10-27-2019, 12:47 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm also going to say that you need to network, network, network.  My husband has changed jobs multiple times in the last 20 years, and not a single one of them was due to him submitting an application.  Instead, he let people he know he was looking for work.  The last time he filled out an application was for his current job AFTER he was offered the position - they asked him to fill out the app for documentation purposes.

Tell everyone you know that you're looking for an accounting job.  Ask them to tell everyone they know.  Follow-up.  Join an organization of accountants locally.  The only way to get past that darn ATS program is to not go through it at all.

"The only way to get past that darn ATS program is to not go through it at all" AGREED.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,722 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,514 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,647 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 869 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee