Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Best Online Colleges (based on ROI)
I think that there's another thread somewhere here with someone who decided to do NAU but I can't remember who it was or what the degree was. It definitely sounds like a good option if they have a degree that you want.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-28-2020, 05:30 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think that there's another thread somewhere here with someone who decided to do NAU but I can't remember who it was or what the degree was. It definitely sounds like a good option if they have a degree that you want.

I can't remember where I was reading (it might have been here or the other forum for distance learning) but I swear someone said that the entire degree was non-proctored and everything is written assignments/finals. That's what got me researching about them because due to my disabilities and learning impairments I can't do webcam proctoring, so it's been very hard to find a degree program that fits my needs to say the least.
hmm I emailed them like a week ago but they're not answering my questions......
(10-28-2020, 05:17 PM)TechNerd Wrote: I heard back from NAU. The program is completely self-paced, you turn in assignments (assuming this means that it truly is non-proctored), professors in each class will check in on your progress and you will also be assigned an advisor that checks in on you. You're provided with all the materials you need for each class.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this university. I might make a separate thread so more people see it and can maybe give more insight as there is not a lot of info out there about NAU. But this seems really promising.

Excellent news! I gave NAU a really hard look but opted to go the project management route instead of IT. I don't think this program gets enough recognition. I wonder if it's because they only have a handful of degrees.

(10-28-2020, 07:16 PM)TechNerd Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 05:30 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think that there's another thread somewhere here with someone who decided to do NAU but I can't remember who it was or what the degree was. It definitely sounds like a good option if they have a degree that you want.

I can't remember where I was reading (it might have been here or the other forum for distance learning) but I swear someone said that the entire degree was non-proctored and everything is written assignments/finals. That's what got me researching about them because due to my disabilities and learning impairments I can't do webcam proctoring, so it's been very hard to find a degree program that fits my needs to say the least.

If you're looking for a bachelor's degree, give UMPI a look. There aren't any IT degrees except for a business or liberal arts degree in project management or management information systems which is a minor. But all of their degrees are CBE meaning the course is graded on a final paper, project, or exam. None of my exams have had a proctor. If you have any questions about UMPI, feel free to PM me. They're adding a master's in organizational leadership in January as well which also be CBE.

https://online.umpi.edu/
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • TechNerd
(10-28-2020, 10:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I gave NAU a really hard look but opted to go the project management route instead of IT. I don't think this program gets enough recognition. I wonder if it's because they only have a handful of degrees.

I am also very interested in trying out NAU, but they don't really offer a degree that interests me. The MCIT is as close as they come to something that I'd consider, but that is not really the kind of degree I'm looking for. If they offered a master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science/Machine Learning, or even a business master's like Leadership or Management, I'd definitely consider it... but that isn't likely to happen. The MCIT offers an emphasis in Data Analytics, but that really doesn't cover what I want.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • TechNerd
Found a thread of someone who went to NAU a couple of years ago for a bachelor's program: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...CS-program 

They might have changed things, but probably not. Maybe nyvrem can answer your questions about how the courses are structured.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • nomaduser, TechNerd
If other universities accept NAU credits, then it will give us a huge tuition saving. Most of universities accept max 90 transfer credits.
So, you can earn 90 transferable credits from NAU for $3k and then transfer to other institutions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • TechNerd
(10-29-2020, 06:34 AM)nomaduser Wrote: If other universities accept NAU credits, then it will give us a huge tuition saving. Most of universities accept max 90 transfer credits.
So, you can earn 90 transferable credits from NAU for $3k and then transfer to other institutions.

NAU is a legit b&m school. They're RA so yes the credits could transfer, but why not just finish there?
(10-29-2020, 04:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: NAU is a legit b&m school. They're RA so yes the credits could transfer, but why not just finish there?

One reason could be to get a degree that NAU doesn't offer but that their credits will transfer into. For instance, a possible source of a few UL CS credits for a CS degree at TESU instead of the IT degree that NAU offers. COSC also has different degrees than NAU offers and it's harder to get credit for COSC now. Or, possibly, Excelsior. Though their degrees are strange and mysterious.

It's not always about the cheapest or the easiest; sometimes you want/need a specific degree.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(10-29-2020, 05:13 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 04:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: NAU is a legit b&m school. They're RA so yes the credits could transfer, but why not just finish there?

One reason could be to get a degree that NAU doesn't offer but that their credits will transfer into. For instance, a possible source of a few UL CS credits for a CS degree at TESU instead of the IT degree that NAU offers. COSC also has different degrees than NAU offers and it's harder to get credit for COSC now. Or, possibly, Excelsior. Though their degrees are strange and mysterious.

It's not always about the cheapest or the easiest; sometimes you want/need a specific degree.

I get that, but at these CBE schools, you don't get to pick and choose what you want to take. They often have a program set up and you follow along through it. It's not like you just take a bunch of gen eds. You also need to be enrolled and admitted to get into these programs. You can't just take a class here and there like a community college. They tend to have very limited gen ed courses as well. The UL are often exactly what they want you to take there for their degree. They don't offer courses for you to have the plans to transfer them elsewhere. You don't pick your courses. Your advisor gives them to you usually following the degree plan. This has been my and my husband's experiences with CBE programs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 415 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 257 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 166 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 384 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,347 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 302 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,677 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 738 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,736 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden