Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 Credits - One Exam - I'm going for it!
Today is the last day to register for the April 1st GRE Subject exams. They will not be offered again until Novemeber. I registered for the Psychology exam. If I score above the 80th percentile it will earn me 30 credits (12 lower and 18 upper). Not bad for a $130 investment. I have no Psychology background. I will be using/memorizing the Princeton Review Cracking the GRE Subject Exam - Psychology book, as well as the ETS book of Practice tests. Wish me luck!
Very cool. Be sure to post your thoughts on the exam; i.e. difficulty level and how in-depth it goes into psychology. This is an exam we'd love to be able to post materials for in the future!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Steelers,
First let me say good luck and I hope you pull it off. Secondly, I took this exam twice trying to get around nine exams for my Excelsior Psych major and completely failed both times. I thought the exam was completely out of my league and way over my head. I did not study enough biology-related information such as eye movement, brain functions, etc. Even taking the test a second time didn't help me personally. I don't want to discourage you as you and I are two different people but this is a forum about sharing our experiences and this is one that I definitely have. I examined out of 24 of my 30 psych hours and probably learned more in the long run. Again, I wish you all the luck.
What did you use to study for it? I'm memorizing the entire Princeton Review Cracking the GRE Subject-Psychology book (only about 134 pages). Once finished, I will read the Kaplan GRE Psychology book once through in an effort to catch things that may not be covered in the Princeton offering. The Kaplan book is simply to big and in depth to memorize, so I figured I would try it this way. Lastly, I will attempt 4 practice exams (2 in Kaplan, 1 in Princeton and the 1 offered by ETS) before sitting the exam. I have 5 weeks to do this (April 1st).
Steelers,
I used the Cracking the GRE Psych book and went through it covering all sections. I also had about 10 psych textbooks from the different fields covered on the exam. It's tough but it can be done. It just wasn't meant for me to pass it.
How well would you say that you knew the material from the Princeton Review? Do you think that it would be adequate if I memorized the entire book. We are only talking about 130 pages.
The GRE is a very extensive exam requiring a very broad and keen understanding of the subject matter. Putting all of your eggs in just one basket (one book) is a risky move if your present comprehension of the topic is thin and the exam is a few weeks away. Hopefully you can and will show everyone how it's done - GOOD LUCK!!!
Steelers,
I would say that the GRE book is not enough to use to score what is needed. Study guides of all types are intended as a guide to show you the type of information covered and how the exam is presented. I tell my "students" to not even use practice or pre-tests because they give many people a false sense of security and should not be used as a study book. They are a guide on what to study, which should be an actual textbook, or a site like this. Good luck on memorizing 130 pages. That's a lot of material.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 226 Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,603 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,988 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 728 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,279 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 552 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 420 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,861 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 19,159 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,903 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123