Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend
I am planning to pursue a JD program, and now have other friends interested in doing so. The CA Bar does not require the First Year Law School Exam (FYLAX) ** IF ** a person has 60 college credits and is attending a CalBar school... which we are considering. 

One of the friends attended a school sort of like University of Phoenix, but for two different medical certification programs. After getting to the end of the first program she could not land an internship and was not able to finish the program, so she enrolled in the second program with a promise from the school that things would be different. Needless to say, the same thing happened. So, she still need to get her transcripts (and the school went out of business) but I believe she would have college credits and likely be close to 45 credits based on the school's old webpage on Archive.org.

I called the CA Bar and they said they do not care where the credits come from as long as they show up on a college transcript. So, I think this leads to the idea of getting my friend to either utilize a credit banking service like TESU's Individual Learning Account or Excelsior University's OneTranscript ($495). Another option, which I read about recently were if she were to enroll in a program and transfer in alternative credits, even if she never completes courses in the program. If she were to do that at the local community college she would be limited to transferring in CLEP, Dantes, and I think some ACE credits. Things are weird here, where the community college only seems to accept ACE and the state university accepts NCCRS. 

So, I am interested in any suggestions you all have on the cheapest and fastest way for her to finish out her credits so she can skip the FYLSX....
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
First off: what school? If it was NA, her old credits will need to go to a school that accepts NA credits. That would be Excelsior. Unless the CA Bar accepts that transcript directly. But, of course, she'd need to know how many credits she already has.

Option 1 for credits:
Credits: LawShelf. 5 courses (15 credits) for $105. Most of them should be relevant to your friend's interests. If she's got less than 45 credits, Google's Project Management cert (free through TADA) could be another 9 credits that are possibly relevant to her interests. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera Legal professionals do, after all, need to be able to manage time and tight deadlines for themselves.

Then, assuming the credits are RA, apply to TESU. Pay for Medical Terminology TECEP. Send in old transcripts. Send in new LawShelf credits. Wait for 60+ credits to post to transcript. Send off to CA Bar.

Total cost: $105 at LawShelf + $50 TESU application + $50 TECEP + transcript fees. Total: About $205.

Option 2 for credits:
Get the free Pierpont degree. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Assuming the old credits are RA, she would just need to take the 15-credit core Gen Ed requirements from Sophia. (Plus any additional courses needed to bring credit total to 60.) Total cost: likely $99 + old transcript fees. Cheaper than TESU!

If the old credits are NA, Pierpont won't accept them. In which case, she could speed through 60 Sophia credits plus the 1-credit ASU course. Total: approximately $99x2 for Sophia + $25 for ASU + $15 for ASU transcript = approximately $240. Slightly more than option 1 above, but she would have an Associate degree. The AAS could be useful in the future if she decides that law school isn't for her. It'd have a lot more merit than 60+ credits on a random transcript and 0 degrees.

Option 3 for credits
Excelsior. Send everything (old transcripts, new LawShelf/Google/Sophia credits) to Excelsior. This is, by far, the most expensive option. It costs at least 2x as much as the whole Pierpont degree, and that's before taking any additional credits!

Conclusion:
I would strongly urge that your friend get the Pierpont degree. If that's not possible or desired for whatever reason, the TESU credit banking is an acceptable answer. Not as desirable, IMO, but acceptable. In dead last, and lagging behind, would be Excelsior. I would not choose Excelsior unless she has no other option.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • midnite123
When schools go out of business, usually another school is assigned to handle transcripts for the former students. There should be a way for your friend to get a proper transcript, and that is what should be used for the Bar.

As far as alternate credits go, it's pretty easy to enroll at TESU in a bachelor's program, then you have a year to send in ACE and other credits and get them on a transcript. It will cost them the application fee of $50, and the cost of a 1cr TECEP. ($52). They don't have to actually TAKE the TECEP, just sign up for it. If you need additional time, you can sign up for a TECEP again near the end of that year. There's an Individual Learning Account at $412 for that same purpose, but it doesn't give you any benefits over just enrolling.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hmm, I would do a mix/match approach and combine all the options... Take ACE/NCCRS alternative credits towards a BSLA at Excelsior University, you can transfer in all your current credits and take the courses at LawShelf/Sophia, etc. You should also take the required courses towards a Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis of your choice. The reason to getting the BSLA is just in case 'life happens' or their choice of degree/profession changes in the future, she would have a BSLA degree as a backup plan.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(10-21-2022, 02:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote: First off: what school? If it was NA, her old credits will need to go to a school that accepts NA credits. That would be Excelsior. Unless the CA Bar accepts that transcript directly. But, of course, she'd need to know how many credits she already has.

Option 1 for credits:
Credits: LawShelf. 5 courses (15 credits) for $105. Most of them should be relevant to your friend's interests. If she's got less than 45 credits, Google's Project Management cert (free through TADA) could be another 9 credits that are possibly relevant to her interests. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera Legal professionals do, after all, need to be able to manage time and tight deadlines for themselves.

Then, assuming the credits are RA, apply to TESU. Pay for Medical Terminology TECEP. Send in old transcripts. Send in new LawShelf credits. Wait for 60+ credits to post to transcript. Send off to CA Bar.

Total cost: $105 at LawShelf + $50 TESU application + $50 TECEP + transcript fees. Total: About $205.

Option 2 for credits:
Get the free Pierpont degree. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

Assuming the old credits are RA, she would just need to take the 15-credit core Gen Ed requirements from Sophia. (Plus any additional courses needed to bring credit total to 60.) Total cost: likely $99 + old transcript fees. Cheaper than TESU!

If the old credits are NA, Pierpont won't accept them. In which case, she could speed through 60 Sophia credits plus the 1-credit ASU course. Total: approximately $99x2 for Sophia + $25 for ASU + $15 for ASU transcript = approximately $240. Slightly more than option 1 above, but she would have an Associate degree. The AAS could be useful in the future if she decides that law school isn't for her. It'd have a lot more merit than 60+ credits on a random transcript and 0 degrees.

Option 3 for credits
Excelsior. Send everything (old transcripts, new LawShelf/Google/Sophia credits) to Excelsior. This is, by far, the most expensive option. It costs at least 2x as much as the whole Pierpont degree, and that's before taking any additional credits!

Conclusion:
I would strongly urge that your friend get the Pierpont degree. If that's not possible or desired for whatever reason, the TESU credit banking is an acceptable answer. Not as desirable, IMO, but acceptable. In dead last, and lagging behind, would be Excelsior. I would not choose Excelsior unless she has no other option.
You are Amazing!!!       
Smile Smile Smile

Also,
Are Law shelf courses on the easy side?
I don't know if LawShelf courses are easy, per se, but they are all open book exams. You should be able to view all content for free, and some of them have non-credit badges available.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-26-2022, 01:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't know if LawShelf courses are easy, per se, but they are all open book exams. You should be able to view all content for free, and some of them have non-credit badges available.

OK Great!        Thanx!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,660 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 246 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 473 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso