Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 more months to happiness
I just got out last November. There are a lot of good points already mentioned; you must have a plan, don't leave with a bunch of unpaid debts, the stuff you would think would be common sense but of course I saw people doing the opposite all the time. I've been living off savings and racking up credits since I left (which I planned for), so I can't speak to the difficulty of finding a job now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: Just thought I would mention how awesome it is to be able to grow a beard again. Smile
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
larry,
How far are you from getting your degree? Take advantage of your GI Bill. Go to school to finish up, at least that will be a little income coming in, along with landing a job. I'm sure the Navy has civilian contracting jobs , or civilian instructor positions that you qualify for and could fall into right? They do pay pretty good. If all else fails, try the Troops to Teachers program. There is always a job in the school system.
Good luck and keep us posted,
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Thanks everybody. I retook the English CLEP with no success (a 42). Not bad considering it is a total upgrade from last time. I was really thinking about doing troops to teachers. No real plan to date but my ace in the hole is probably Walmart. I used to work there and my wife is an assistant manager there now.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Yeah, the beard is gonna be great too.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Be careful as the grass isn't always greenier on the other side?

I switched from active duty to the National Guard back in 2003. I was TDY soo much my last couple of years I drove past my own house on two different occasions! With my assignment being up I scored a nice Germany assignment thinking great? Well my unit had me involuntary extended 3 years which killed Germany and then my branch manager said afterwards I was going to Korea. To top it all off the 1SG said I "had" to re-enlist to meet the extention. The man was such a POS I told him where he could go!

Now if I do not like my job or boss I roll out! You want me to work a 12 hour weekend shift? Sure, that will be time and a 1/2 pay plus weekend differential pay. My first job as a civilian had me working crazy hours for six months. I did not complain at all because I used all the extra money to buy a BMW.

Now the bad? Contracts end and you can be layed off at anytime? Job security and free health coverage is the tradeoff for becoming a civilian.

Allen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,245 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Options for someone who's going to be on a ship for 9 months! dfrecore 18 4,190 06-10-2017, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Collegelady2