Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG
Since this is the most active MSIT PUG thread, I want to crosspost this important information here from another PUG thread.

(02-13-2024, 03:38 AM)walruspanda Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 01:45 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For some reason, they dropped their Masters down to three, I wonder what happened to the MSIT and there may have been a couple or more that is not showing up anymore: https://www.purdueglobal.edu/student-exp...-learning/

Oh wow, that's very interesting. As of November, the ExcelTrack versions MSIT and MS in Cybersecurity Management were listed on that page. Now, they're both gone.  

In fact, here is the former link to the ExcelTrack MSIT page, which was working as of mid-January but now simply forwards to the regular MSIT page. And I just went through enough screens of the PUG application to verify there is no option for MSIT ExcelTrack there either (but the MBA and BSIT still have ExcelTrack options).

That looks pretty definitive to me: MSIT and MS in Cybersecurity Management ExcelTrack seem to have been killed off.

I gotta say, I'm pretty shocked. I just started MSIT ExcelTrack in the January 3rd term (which happens to end today), and I've heard nothing, not even any rumors (which there were about the change from 6-week to 10-week MSIT terms). My assumption is they'll let the current MSIT ExcelTrack students continue with their modules, at least for a while, but I wonder for how long. Fortunately, I only have one module left, and since I haven't gotten any notice about the term that starts tomorrow, i assume it's proceeding as normal.

This is a massive change to the value proposition for a MSIT at PUG. With my 28 credits of cert/UG credit, I'll be able to get my other 32 credits for under $4000 on ExcelTrack. Without ExcelTrack, those same credits would have cost about $14,000. For the full 60 credits, the cost would now be over $25,000.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
In the middle of completing my final PUG MSIT Capstone assignment, so I wanted to give a brief overview of my second (and last) term:
  • Unless something drastic goes wrong (I'm at a 99.2% in the Capstone), I'll end up with a 4.00 in the MSIT, finishing it up in two six-week terms. I ended up taking 28 ExcelTrack credits (7 classes x 4 credits) along with the Capstone; the rest I brought in through IT certs and the BSIT.
  • Counterintuitively, the MSIT Capstone -- at least if you take the Project Management path -- is frankly easier than the BSIT Capstone. With the BSIT Capstone, you had to do a bunch of project management stuff (Gantt charts, reports, etc.), along with completing a decent-sized IT-based project (create an extensive database, create an app, design a website, etc.). With the MSIT Capstone on the Project Management path, the PM stuff is about equal to the BSIT's PM stuff...but there's no actual IT project that you have to do. My professor for the MSIT Capstone, who sounds like he's the main guy teaching this class, wants to completely redesign parts of it when the MSIT switches to 10-week terms. Frankly, I can't say that I disagree, even though I'm helped by the relative ease of the class. (Some of my classmates are having issues, though, so YMMV.)
  • As mentioned in posts above, the MSIT ExcelTrack is now either dead or temporarily hibernating. If it does come back, I do recommend it, especially for anyone who has a good deal of IT experience -- it's possible to go through the classes quickly, as I've shown.
It's not my subject line since someone else started this thread, but I do want to give a very big thank you to this group, both for the PUG BSIT and the MSIT -- you've all been very helpful! I hope my experience ends up being similarly helpful for some future readers.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
[-] The following 4 users Like walruspanda's post:
  • BritStudent, Darknigh7, Jonathan Whatley, LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 19,087 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 204 04-23-2024, 11:21 AM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 776 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 528 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 750 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 416 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,189 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,922 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 655 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,883 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7