Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AACSB/AACSB/IACBE + CLEPs/DSSTs: Can these two work together?
rebel100 Wrote:Yeah, I know, I can't decide where to go from here really. I would love to put PhD or EdD behind my name but I've either got to find an employer to pay for it, find a fellowship (which I suspect is quite unlikely). or come into some real money first. On one hand I tell myself I need a break form school, on the other I don't know what I will do with my time. These 9-15 credit grad certs would keep me busy without breaking the bank. I should probably concentrate on finding a teaching job (like undergrad emergency management/business continuity), that would put me back in the classroom albeit in a different chair. Smile Perhaps some junior college somewhere would help me find a doctoral program. So many cool things out there!

You can probably find some work teaching business courses. Without the 18 graduate hours in emergency management or a closely related field like homeland security, you'll probably be limited to NA schools and non-credit courses at community colleges. It'd probably be cool to teach in a fire/EMT academy. Even though I don't have any graduate credits in criminal justice, I was able to land a teaching job at an NA school based on my experience working in security and for a law enforcement agency. There are a couple of other instructors in the program who have unrelated degrees or lack the graduate credits, but they qualified to teach based on their experience. Even if your master's is unrelated, it still knocks off the number of years of experience you need.

If I weren't in the program I'm in now, I would have seriously considered Valdosta State University's DPA because it's really cheap. The only problem is that you have to travel to the campus every semester. They will accept up to 15 graduate-level transfer credits as long as they weren't already used for another degree. They will let you design a concentration i.e. criminal justice, homeland security, and social work. Another reasonably priced online doctorate I was looking at was University of Southern Mississippi's PhD in International Development with a concentration in Security Studies. I also looked at Clemson University's PhD in International Family and Community Studies, but they aren't that affordable.

Of course, I tried to find all kinds of ways to avoid a dissertation. I found Nova Southeastern and A.T. Still's doctorates in Health Science. It looks like A.T. Still will take anyone with a healthcare credential on any level. Nova Southeastern requires post-graduate, professional experience. I also found Texas A&M's Executive EdD, but it requires 5 years of teaching experience. The best program I found was Arizona State University's Doctor of Behavioral Health - Management Track which can be completed in 18 months if you take a full-time course load. The downside is that it's $45,000. It would fit in great with your background, though. The core is a lot like a healthcare management degree. You can also take elective courses from the clinical track that are more heavy on psychology and integrative medicine if you're into that.

I've only found two online programs that offer distance assistantships: Texas Tech's PhD in Technical Communication and Rhetoric and Boise State University's EdD in Educational Technology. From what I was told, Texas' public universities are only allowed to waive the extra cost of out-of-state tuition. They aren't allowed to give full waivers. Basically, you're only getting a stipend, but still have to pay for tuition out of pocket or with loans. Boise State's highly competitive graduate assistantship pays a stipend and grants a full tuition waiver. Currently, the American College on Education (for-profit) is offering a $10,000 grant to EdD students. This drops the total cost of the program from $29k to $19k, but they do not participate in Title IV funding. They only offer payment plans. If you're willing to get a PhD on ground, criminal justice programs give excellent stipends. My school pays a $26k stipend, but of course, I'm still responsible for tuition which is about $6k a year. Many other programs offer $18k-22k stipends with full tuition waivers.

Sorry for hijacking the thread; I just had to get all of that out. :p
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sorry for the lack of replies as of late; I'm dealing with TESC now, as well as resubbing with InstantCert (as I was only on the monthly plan at first), and didn't want to be back until now.

I don't mind the hijacking of this thread; there's a wealth of knowledge to be spread around, and I'm always down to learn; I don't mind at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries bjcheung77 14 1,388 09-29-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: impasta
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 864 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  aacsb vs acbsp Imbanewbie 10 1,433 12-02-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Regarding AACSB Harry101 4 813 04-25-2022, 04:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  IU & LSBU Dual Degree (FREE iPad & No extra work required) bjcheung77 13 3,939 08-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: msa145
  What would you work on first? bjcheung77 16 1,680 03-24-2021, 03:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  COVID-related volunteer work could provide college credit jch 0 661 01-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jch
Question From Social Work to Programming? louise 7 1,626 11-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: louise
  UW - First Competency-Based BSBA at AACSB School sanantone 0 1,134 09-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Social Work, Sociology, or Anthropology Degree? LadySearchDog 5 1,624 08-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy