Poll: ADD/ADHD Do you or a family member have it?
This poll is closed.
Nope.
50.00%
7 50.00%
Yep, officially diagnosed.
21.43%
3 21.43%
Think I've got it, but get too distracted to get it diagnosed.
14.29%
2 14.29%
Close family member has it.
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADD/ADHD Poll
Isn't Asperger's on the autism spectrum? People with Asperger's are supposed to be higher functioning than those with autism. Some people think that autism is a made up disorder and that it's some new phenomenon. The truth is that everyone was just deemed mentally retarded in the past; they didn't care to distinguish between different developmental disorders. Some people believe that all introverts really just have Asperger's and I think that is an over-diagnosis. That would mean that about a fifth to a quarter of the world's population would have Asperger's. I know that even more people think that ADHD is not real and they have a better case. Some of these kids might just be overly sensitive to sugar and caffeine. Some of them might actually be having an allergic reaction to certain chemicals used in processed foods. However, the "ADHD is not real crowd" believes that all these kids need is a spanking.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I am uncomfortable with all the people diagnosed with this or that disorder. We are people and are not perfect. I worry that as more and more people are diagnosed, they will end up taking on more costly medications that they do not need.

I am an introvert. I remember when my cousins and brother were outside playing, after a while I would go inside and find a quiet place to draw pictures. I had goals. I wanted to be a comic book artist and after playing for a few hours I felt it necessary to do something quiet and productive. I bought my first computer at age 10 and would go off and program it for hours while other kids played. I'd join them later.

These days I would be diagnosed with many disorders and would probably be shot full of drugs to correct them while doctors received accolades for successful treatment.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Ryoder, I do think that we're too quick to label behavior and "treat" it. If it's not somelike like diabetes or schizophrenia, there may be lots of other ways to address something like ADD rather than medicine. (I do think that ADD exists, and, if spanking helped, I'd be the most focused person you know.) Not everything has to be treated with drugs. It may be that it's easier to herd kids and adults along into conforming behavior rather than individualize parenting and teaching practices in today's busy world. (And pharmacy companies are making a killing on the medication of America.) Sanatone, my understanding regarding Asbergers and autism is the same as yours. My thought about focusing was because of a cousin I'd met for the first time a couple of years ago. He's an adult with Asbergers. Yes, it was obvious that he was akward with inter-personal interactions, but I noticed his focused behavior at the zoo. He took a picture of every single living thing behind bars or glass that we passed. He was very focused and determined, and it wasn't as though animals were one of the things he was interested in when we were outside of the zoo.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer, its funny you mentioned focused behavior and taking pictures. I have a good friend of mine who my brother says has Asbergers based on the information I have given him about his personality. The guy hides his face when talking to people but is 6'1 185lbs and ripped. If he has a beer in his hand at a bar he shrinks into it and covers his face. However, he is now taking pictures like crazy. He takes pictures of his cats and even goes to the pier to take pictures of birds at sunrise. He is an excellent technician too.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I am uncomfortable with all the people diagnosed with this or that disorder. We are people and are not perfect. I worry that as more and more people are diagnosed, they will end up taking on more costly medications that they do not need.

I am an introvert. I remember when my cousins and brother were outside playing, after a while I would go inside and find a quiet place to draw pictures. I had goals. I wanted to be a comic book artist and after playing for a few hours I felt it necessary to do something quiet and productive. I bought my first computer at age 10 and would go off and program it for hours while other kids played. I'd join them later.

These days I would be diagnosed with many disorders and would probably be shot full of drugs to correct them while doctors received accolades for successful treatment.

Another reason people are so quick to label a disorder or disease today is because if they're kids going to school, the school gets more money for having to teach them (not necessarily talking about ADD/ADHD, or anything specific). They get a good bit more for the students that are 'special needs'. I'm not saying they aren't kids out there with issues, just saying that they're quicker to label 'em when some don't need to be.
ryoder Wrote:These days I would be diagnosed with many disorders and would probably be shot full of drugs to correct them while doctors received accolades for successful treatment.

You wouldn't be diagnosed with anything by a professional. It's just that American culture is not very accepting of introvert behavior. Sometimes, people would think something was wrong with me because I didn't talk 24/7. I'm just not the type to talk just for the sake of it. I am far from being retarded or autistic and actually have much higher than average verbal skills. Humans are social creatures, but I think there is some evolutionary advantage to having a part of the population that focuses on more important things than bar hopping and talking about such trivial things for hours upon hours. Maybe there isn't anything wrong with people with ADHD either. The educational system is just built for the majority. Learning by sitting in the classroom for hours is not something humans have always been doing.

I actually think schools overdiagnose children with developmental disorders, not because of extra funding, but because their test scores don't count against them. This might sound lazy on the part of the school, but some students just do not care to learn and their parents aren't pushing them. To avoid penalties for low test scores, a school will just sometimes put the child in remedial or special ed classes and their standardized test scores won't count against them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The educational system is just built for the majority. Learning by sitting in the classroom for hours is not something humans have always been doing.
One also has to realize that for 13 years before going to college, they're taught to sit in a room until a bell rings. By the time the majority of people come out, they're just boxes being pushed out of a conveyor belt. They get to college, the first two years are nothing but a repeat of high school.
We forget that our founding fathers were graduating from Ivy League schools by the time they were 16-17 years old. We had 13 yr old (John Quincy Adams) as an ambassador to a foreign nation. American education has taken a serious decline.
For those of you, who are not familiar with aspergers. Here is a good link. Asperger Syndrome | What is Autism? | Autism Speaks. Also, OCD and Aspergers are related, but they are different disorders.
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
I take Adderall but didn't start till I was thirty-one years old. It's helped, just wish I had started on it sooner.
COSC - B.S. in Information Systems Studies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,525 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Do You Have ADHD? Here's A Test LevelUP 7 749 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  how do you post a poll on this forum? nj593 2 857 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Last Post: nj593
  Age/Degree Poll Farmerboy 44 7,137 10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Last Post: IrishJohn
  Poll: Debate or Speech? nick94 30 3,943 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Ruddigore
  Gender Poll Ruddigore 9 1,656 06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Last Post: nick94
  Question/Poll lmnop098 1 925 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM