Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020)
(04-05-2020, 03:39 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 09:10 AM)PrettyFlyforaChiGuy Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 07:25 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: ALEKS sucks

I haven't taken any of them and barely know anything about their platform, so do you have anything more substantial to explain why? I completed Sophia's math courses on a whim recently; I thought that while the overall presentation and ease of demonstrating what you already know were both high points, the lack of practice problems could be troublesome for students learning the material for the first time.
I tried ALEKS twice, my daughter tried it and a couple other kids I was helping and all I can say is that no one liked it. Maybe I’ll give it another try if they changed the format but I’m more of a textbook and lecture person (which is why I like SL). ALEKS would probably be better for someone with lots of prior knowledge or taken as a supplement with a class.

There was another kid in my neighborhood who finished Sophia, but when I would quiz him, he was lost and confused due to Sophia not having enough practice problems. I found the same issue with Khan academy. 

What wound up happening is that I purchased my high school algebra book on amazon for $10.00 and had my daughter go through every single question from cover to cover, then we just used Sophia as a test out (they had a huge sale at the time). The whole process took a year due to her being only 14 years old at the time. Also, textbooks are less distracting for some ppl, whereas newer digital textbooks have a lot of videos, and interactive stuff that was far too distracting for my daughter. So for something like math, it is my personal opinion, that the best way is sometimes the old ways.

For what it’s worth, I see that ASU EA algebra is ALEKS based, so some ppl might enjoy that.

I agree with all of this - online math like ALEKS (my son is doing College Algebra through EA/ASU) is REALLY hard to learn from.  We homeschooled, and used VideoText Algebra, which is kind of like Khan Academy (it's video-based instruction) but there are books to go with it, and TONS of great practice problems.  I feel like my son really, really got a solid knowledge of algebra that just doesn't exist with ALEKS or Khan or anything else where you don't have the problems to do.  Math NEEDS practice, for some people, the more, the better.  Just learning the concepts isn't enough, you need to do lots of practice problems with each concept to solidify it in your brain.

The only reason we are doing College Algebra right now is to make sure there aren't any "holes" in his knowledge after switching curriculum several times, because the EA/ASU is free right now.  He will then do Pracalc as well.  He's in Math 3 w/Precalc right now in high school, and the curriculum leaves a lot to be desired, so if he can't pass it with an A pretty easily, then I'm concerned that he won't be ready for AP Calc I next year - especially with being out of school for a long time.

Anyway, I'm not expecting ALEKS to teach him much, and if there's a lot that he needs to learn, then we will switch to another program over the summer to make sure that he is solid before he starts Calc.  It will be something where there are a lot of practice problems to do, and he will do them by hand on paper at the kitchen table, so that I can SEE that he understands what he's doing.  He wants to be an engineer, so he really needs to understand the math well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • indigoshuffle
Could you give us an update on how ALEKS is now, especially proctoring options and exam design?
(04-05-2020, 12:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I haven't taken any of them and barely know anything about their platform, so do you have anything more substantial to explain why? I completed Sophia's math courses on a whim recently; I thought that while the overall presentation and ease of demonstrating what you already know were both high points, the lack of practice problems could be troublesome for students learning the material for the first time.
I tried ALEKS twice, my daughter tried it and a couple other kids I was helping and all I can say is that no one liked it. Maybe I’ll give it another try if they changed the format but I’m more of a textbook and lecture person (which is why I like SL). ALEKS would probably be better for someone with lots of prior knowledge or taken as a supplement with a class.

There was another kid in my neighborhood who finished Sophia, but when I would quiz him, he was lost and confused due to Sophia not having enough practice problems. I found the same issue with Khan academy. 

What wound up happening is that I purchased my high school algebra book on amazon for $10.00 and had my daughter go through every single question from cover to cover, then we just used Sophia as a test out (they had a huge sale at the time). The whole process took a year due to her being only 14 years old at the time. Also, textbooks are less distracting for some ppl, whereas newer digital textbooks have a lot of videos, and interactive stuff that was far too distracting for my daughter. So for something like math, it is my personal opinion, that the best way is sometimes the old ways.

For what it’s worth, I see that ASU EA algebra is ALEKS based, so some ppl might enjoy that.

I agree with all of this - online math like ALEKS (my son is doing College Algebra through EA/ASU) is REALLY hard to learn from.  We homeschooled, and used VideoText Algebra, which is kind of like Khan Academy (it's video-based instruction) but there are books to go with it, and TONS of great practice problems.  I feel like my son really, really got a solid knowledge of algebra that just doesn't exist with ALEKS or Khan or anything else where you don't have the problems to do.  Math NEEDS practice, for some people, the more, the better.  Just learning the concepts isn't enough, you need to do lots of practice problems with each concept to solidify it in your brain.

The only reason we are doing College Algebra right now is to make sure there aren't any "holes" in his knowledge after switching curriculum several times, because the EA/ASU is free right now.  He will then do Pracalc as well.  He's in Math 3 w/Precalc right now in high school, and the curriculum leaves a lot to be desired, so if he can't pass it with an A pretty easily, then I'm concerned that he won't be ready for AP Calc I next year - especially with being out of school for a long time.

Anyway, I'm not expecting ALEKS to teach him much, and if there's a lot that he needs to learn, then we will switch to another program over the summer to make sure that he is solid before he starts Calc.  It will be something where there are a lot of practice problems to do, and he will do them by hand on paper at the kitchen table, so that I can SEE that he understands what he's doing.  He wants to be an engineer, so he really needs to understand the math well.
Liberty University is launching a 100% online program in Civil Engineering, if your son has interest in that field.

Put those ACE credits to work towards an RA Engineering degree....
[-] The following 1 user Likes terryd5150's post:
  • warriortaupou
(04-05-2020, 07:44 PM)terryd5150 Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 12:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Liberty University is launching a 100% online program in Civil Engineering, if your son has interest in that field.

Put those ACE credits to work towards an RA Engineering degree....

@terryd5150 How does engineering work in terms of online schools and reputation? Isn't Liberty U the same school that caused an increase in infections because they went against CDC and Trump advice???  Huh  Maybe I'm not updated on the way things are, but isn't engineering one of those fields where school name and how you did your degree matters? A buddy of mine is a chemical engineer and when I suggested using ACE credits and Charter Oaks GRE test out for credits, he told me companies want to see your classes and your grades and that it was a bad idea to do anything engineering related, online... at least if you wanted a job. Maybe that has changed and maybe I'm completely wrong. If so , I'd like to know.

@dfrecore I don't have to say that I agree with you 100%. For us adults who need some quick credit I think ALEKS is perfectly fine for a business degree or even a computer degree where the student might already be math literate. As for many other students, I think math is one of those subjects where having a good teacher and TIME are very important. Math is like learning a language, and it's the foundation for critical thinking. It's not something I believe should be rushed. My father is a high school math teacher and he always told me math is like a pot of soup, you have to keep a fire under it to keep it hot. My daughter is training for either nursing or pharmacy school, so I have her do 1 hour of math every day! I don't care it it's a holiday or her birthday... 1 hour everyday is better than an 8 - 15 week cram-a-thon. Maybe he won't see it now, but you're doing your son a big favor by emphasizing frequent math training, no matter what career it is he wants, but especially engineering. I've seen people who would have been amazing nurses but they avoided the career because of math or flunked out because of math... there is no reason for that.

Now, as far as this topic is concerned, I just signed up for ASU EA's college algebra just as a treat for myself and to see HOW they integrated ALEKS into the course. I'll write my thoughts about ALEKS as I go though the course. So far, the ASU course looks a lot like Modern States... this is not a good sign  Undecided
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • harrypotter
Yeah, Liberty has trashed their already horrible reputation
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • jsd
(04-05-2020, 09:38 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: @terryd5150 How does engineering work in terms of online schools and reputation? Isn't Liberty U the same school that caused an increase in infections because they went against CDC and Trump advice???  Huh  Maybe I'm not updated on the way things are, but isn't engineering one of those fields where school name and how you did your degree matters? A buddy of mine is a chemical engineer and when I suggested using ACE credits and Charter Oaks GRE test out for credits, he told me companies want to see your classes and your grades and that it was a bad idea to do anything engineering related, online... at least if you wanted a job. Maybe that has changed and maybe I'm completely wrong. If so , I'd like to know.

With certainty, Liberty didn't do themselves any favors with their recent actions; however, for clarity, I've never attended LU nor am I pro- or anti-LU.

I don't subscribe to popular religious & political ideologies; I also don't take part in such discussions.

I use the following criteria when evaluating potential educational opportunities:
  • Accreditation: does the school have a solid history?
  • Likewise with programmatic accreditation, as applicable.
  • Does the school offer a program with an AOS & curriculum that supports my career objectives?
  • Accessibility & scheduling: does the school offer a program that fits within my time constraints?
  • Transfer credit policies, specifically regarding nationally-accredited and non-traditional credits (ACE/NCCRS/CLEP, etc.).
  • Financials: does the required investment make sense for the expected return?
When considered using the objective criteria above, LU's new online CivE program represents a significant & unique value in the online engineering educational space - which is considerably more limited in available distance learning options than non-STEM majors.

To your larger point, though: if you identify so closely with your ChemE colleague's view of online education, why are you posting on a forum dedicated to online education?

Is it to look for random comments from which to launch thinly veiled religious and political arguments, or are you genuinely interested in online & distance learning opportunities and how those might be utilized to realize your educational goals?

If it's the former, I'll gladly tap out now and leave you standing in the ring alone.

If it's the latter, and you're interested in engineering & technology, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the currently available options, pros & cons of each, and walk through degree plans that may help meet your needs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes terryd5150's post:
  • warriortaupou
@terryd5150

"With certainty, Liberty didn't do themselves any favors with their recent actions; however, for clarity, I've never attended LU nor am I pro- or anti-LU...."

I don't subscribe to popular religious & political ideologies; I also don't take part in such discussions...."

"Is it to look for random comments from which to launch thinly veiled religious and political arguments, or are you genuinely interested in online & distance learning opportunities and how those might be utilized to realize your educational goals?"

There is no need to "thinly" veil anything. I can be blunt.

I'm an atheist. I also don't subscribe to ANY religious ideologies. As for politics, every one is political. Not being political, is political. 

We are in the middle of a pandemic, and nearly everyday, I take care of people who refused to listen due to political reasons or religious reasons. I'm on the front lines and I personally see the fall out from people who refuse to listen, or claim that "it's just like the flu"... (which, by the way, is terrible in its own way). 

So when a university professor or a college president reopens schools causing a surge of new infections and flooding an already overwhelmed healthcare system, I get angry. Why? Because for me it's very personal. And yes, I would question the quality of education at a school that pushes people towards their death in the middle of a pandemic, regardless of their accreditation.

"I use the following criteria when evaluating potential educational opportunities:
  • Accreditation: does the school have a solid history?
  • Likewise with programmatic accreditation, as applicable.
  • Does the school offer a program with an AOS & curriculum that supports my career objectives?
  • Accessibility & scheduling: does the school offer a program that fits within my time constraints?
  • Transfer credit policies, specifically regarding nationally-accredited and non-traditional credits (ACE/NCCRS/CLEP, etc.).
  • Financials: does the required investment make sense for the expected return?
When considered using the objective criteria above, LU's new online CivE program represents a significant & unique value in the online engineering educational space - which is considerably more limited in available distance learning options than non-STEM majors."

Using this criteria for ROI is fantastic, but it's also important to speak with people in the industry. Schools have their own marketing machines what can be different from reality from whatever they put on their website. Now if you are offended because a friend of mine dissuaded me from recommending online schools, then.... I don't know what to say.

Speaking with my "chemE colleague" does not mean I prescribe to his point of view, but since he works in the industry, I listen and factor that into my choices.

"To your larger point, though: if you identify so closely with your ChemE colleague's view of online education, why are you posting on a forum dedicated to online education?..."

Certainly not to offend you. Because you seem offended...I am posting on a forum dedicated to online education because I am a Registered Nurse who is attending WGU and I have significantly cut my cost of schooling by being a member here. Also, as you have read, I have helped many teenagers earn additional college credits. Some of them ask me about using ACE credits for Engineering which I know nothing about, so I can't really help them. Also, I've been strongly encouraged to avoid online classes as far as engineering goes, and especially medical school. By the way, I'll be done in three months!!!

"If it's the former, I'll gladly tap out now and leave you standing in the ring alone."

Big Grin I never entered the ring, you did. 

I do not wish this discussion to take over the main point of the thread, which should be about ALEKS. Specifically, ALEKS being free. It is not intended to be a thread committed to responding to someone who was clearly offended by my post and somehow took it as an attack.  Dodgy

If the moderators would like to move this to the off topic section, I could understand why.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • jsd
There are state schools here in CA in the LA area where they've kept the dorms open because some students (esp International) had nowhere to go.  They take online courses in their rooms, but they still go get food at a few places.  I know of a friend's kid who goes to a state school in Oregon and their dorms are open as well, because there are VERY few cases in that area.  So I'm not sure Liberty "trashed their reputation" by doing that same thing.  I don't think these schools did that either, their reputations are fine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: online engineering, that sounds awful!  Where's all the fun stuff, the hands-on stuff?  Plus, engineering is all about internships and things like that.  I think you would really miss out on that, as an 18yo.  For adults going back to school, I guess it would be ok.  For my kid, he is HATING this whole quarantine thing, and online learning.  He really enjoys classroom time, face-to-face discussions, etc.  This kid will be doing a traditional path for sure.  Actually, my other kid, who will be doing a certificate or AA will also go traditional - she is not a fan of online learning, even though she has had some of it all through high school.

(04-05-2020, 09:38 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: @dfrecore I don't have to say that I agree with you 100%. For us adults who need some quick credit I think ALEKS is perfectly fine for a business degree or even a computer degree where the student might already be math literate. As for many other students, I think math is one of those subjects where having a good teacher and TIME are very important. Math is like learning a language, and it's the foundation for critical thinking. It's not something I believe should be rushed. My father is a high school math teacher and he always told me math is like a pot of soup, you have to keep a fire under it to keep it hot. My daughter is training for either nursing or pharmacy school, so I have her do 1 hour of math every day! I don't care it it's a holiday or her birthday... 1 hour everyday is better than an 8 - 15 week cram-a-thon. Maybe he won't see it now, but you're doing your son a big favor by emphasizing frequent math training, no matter what career it is he wants, but especially engineering. I've seen people who would have been amazing nurses but they avoided the career because of math or flunked out because of math... there is no reason for that.

Now, as far as this topic is concerned, I just signed up for ASU EA's college algebra just as a treat for myself and to see HOW they integrated ALEKS into the course. I'll write my thoughts about ALEKS as I go though the course. So far, the ASU course looks a lot like Modern States... this is not a good sign  Undecided

I was specifically talking about learning math, not just needing to pass a quick course for credits. Completely different things.

EA/ASU is fine, and the math just opens up ALEKS within the course.  It's nothing like MS that I can see.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yeah, very few colleges can 100% shut down their dorms. There are lots of college students that are international students that are from countries are they can't fly back to. They can't go home even if they wanted to. My college consolidated all students who had to stay in one dorm building and closed all the food options besides one with very limited selection and hours. The entire campus is closed no buildings open beside one dorm building and one dining hall, very boring.

And I agree online engineering usually aren't good. TESU has online engineering but it is meant for people with Navy or prior credit and you can't even do TESU's ABET engineering degrees all through TESU, you need to transfer in most of the aos. Even if it is online it has got be ABET-accredited and most online isn't. For a young person with no experience, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to do engineering online.
(04-06-2020, 02:17 PM)natshar Wrote: Yeah, very few colleges can 100% shut down their dorms. There are lots of college students that are international students that are from countries are they can't fly back to. They can't go home even if they wanted to. My college consolidated all students who had to stay in one dorm building and closed all the food options besides one with very limited selection and hours. The entire campus is closed no buildings open beside one dorm building and one dining hall, very boring.

Yes, I know a student from China whose parents were like, DO NOT come home under any circumstances; I don't know where you will stay, but don't come home!  Another one from one of the hard-hit areas in Italy also was told not to come home.  They said find a friend who will take you in, we will pay them to have you stay there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 403 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Is it possible to complete 12 Sophia courses with min 97% per course in 3 months? ausernameisneeded 41 3,206 09-16-2023, 03:52 PM
  Google has released 10 free courses to master AI LevelUP 2 1,025 08-12-2023, 03:41 PM
  latest Study.com code for January, 2023 for 1 month free EducationSeeker 3 1,504 01-02-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,523 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Coursera certs for free? Personherebb9 5 1,385 11-15-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com 20% off for 3 months, RETURNING members jsd 0 1,575 08-30-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  CS105, CS306 and MATH108 Possible in SDC Free Trial Window? spohara 9 926 08-23-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 619 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore