Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMA Online DBA in the Philippines accreditation recognition
I know that the AMA Online University Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) program in the Philippines has been discussed before on this forum. I am wondering if any North American accrediting body recognizes it? I would be pursuing this degree for my own educational attainment purposes and the cost of this degree program is in the range of $3000 USD so it is very attractive. However, it would be nice to know that North American universities would recognize it for potential adjunct teaching purposes.  

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • Imbanewbie
AMA University, they should be RA equivalent, I posted about them a few months back here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-country
I did another post for the country here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-in-the-PI
I think Malaysia has some too: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-Malaysia
Here's another one from Malaysia: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...University
You can always check India: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...s-in-India
If you can afford it, at under 8-10K, Mexico has options as well, I wrote about them a few days ago: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...l-Programs
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • datby98
Just an FYI if you want to pursue a degree with AMA U, I looked into a couple of their doctorates and the requirement to graduate (on top of the dissertation) is a presentation of your dissertation at a national and an international conference. They will not confer the degree until you have presented, they did not state any requirements on what they are looking for in a national conference or an international conference.
(11-02-2022, 04:02 PM)jfitzg8876 Wrote: Just an FYI if you want to pursue a degree with AMA U, I looked into a couple of their doctorates and the requirement to graduate (on top of the dissertation) is a presentation of your dissertation at a national and an international conference. They will not confer the degree until you have presented, they did not state any requirements on what they are looking for in a national conference or an international conference.

That is fairly normal. As an full-time, in-person PhD student I had to do this 3/4 times a year at minimum. The difference is that it will be expensive for someone not sponsored by an in-presence sponsor where the costs of doing so are paid for you.

The international conference for people living in the US is somewhat resolvable since from the Philippines' perspective the US is international. The national, on the other hand, I would carefully investigate whether there are any Filipino conferences in your preferred field that are online since COVID. That is likely the easiest way if you have no interest in a Philippines vacation.

(11-02-2022, 08:04 PM)sarahmac Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 04:02 PM)jfitzg8876 Wrote: Just an FYI if you want to pursue a degree with AMA U, I looked into a couple of their doctorates and the requirement to graduate (on top of the dissertation) is a presentation of your dissertation at a national and an international conference. They will not confer the degree until you have presented, they did not state any requirements on what they are looking for in a national conference or an international conference.

That is fairly normal. As an full-time, in-person PhD student I had to do this 3/4 times a year at minimum. The difference is that it will be expensive for someone not sponsored by an in-presence sponsor where the costs of doing so are paid for you.

The international conference for people living in the US is somewhat resolvable since from the Philippines' perspective the US is international. The national, on the other hand, I would carefully investigate whether there are any Filipino conferences in your preferred field that are online since COVID. That is likely the easiest way if you have no interest in a Philippines vacation.
I wouldnt say that's normal for distance learning doctorates, its actually the first time I have heard of it. Its just a heads up to anyone who may want to go down this route.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jfitzg8876's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-02-2022, 08:23 PM)jfitzg8876 Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 08:04 PM)sarahmac Wrote:

I wouldnt say that's normal for distance learning doctorates, its actually the first time I have heard of it. Its just a heads up to anyone who may want to go down this route.

I've been looking at numerous online doctorates and none have required presentations. Some have residencies, but those aren't for presenting the dissertation at any sort of conference.
According to WES' degree equivalency tool, a doctorate from AMA in the Philippines is equivalent to a US masters degree. You obviously might get a different result with other evaluators. WES considers a lot of foreign doctorates as equivalent to a masters.

https://applications.wes.org/degree-equivalency-tool/
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-04-2022, 06:41 AM)smartdegree Wrote: According to WES' degree equivalency tool, a doctorate from AMA in the Philippines is equivalent to a US masters degree.   You obviously might get a different result with other evaluators.  WES considers a lot of foreign doctorates as equivalent to a masters.  

This would be a tough one to get over if I had finished a doctorate and a google search claimed it matched my master's degree. However, who believes Google anyway?
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(11-04-2022, 12:23 PM)KSoul Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 06:41 AM)smartdegree Wrote: According to WES' degree equivalency tool, a doctorate from AMA in the Philippines is equivalent to a US masters degree.   You obviously might get a different result with other evaluators.  WES considers a lot of foreign doctorates as equivalent to a masters.  

This would be a tough one to get over if I had finished a doctorate and a google search claimed it matched my master's degree. However, who believes Google anyway?

They weren't talking about Google. WES is one of the international degree evaluators. If you live in the US for example and complete a degree from Malaysia, you need to have the degree evaluated if you ever want to have it count towards credit. You may also need an evaluation done to use it on your resume as it will most likely come up in discussion in interviews. So Steve your resume says you completed your MBA in Malaysia at the University of Malaysia. Why? Why not just get a degree here in the US. We have awesome schools. Is it even a real degree or is it one of those diploma mill things where you sent them $200 and you got a piece of paper in the mail? Can you prove this is a real degree? 

I would not be surprised at all if someone googled the degree and program to see if it was real. Google will show conversations from this forum - they come up often - and other forums, the school's website, a Wikipedia page if it exists, and more info. Plenty of people believe what they find on Google. Google search wouldn't claim it matched your master's degree. That's not how search works. Many international degrees do not carry the weight that they are listed at in many countries. It's not just the US. Canada, Europe, Australia, and more have the same issues with many of this degrees.
(11-04-2022, 12:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 12:23 PM)KSoul Wrote:

They weren't talking about Google. WES is one of the international degree evaluators. If you live in the US for example and complete a degree from Malaysia, you need to have the degree evaluated if you ever want to have it count towards credit. You may also need an evaluation done to use it on your resume as it will most likely come up in discussion in interviews. So Steve your resume says you completed your MBA in Malaysia at the University of Malaysia. Why? Why not just get a degree here in the US. We have awesome schools. Is it even a real degree or is it one of those diploma mill things where you sent them $200 and you got a piece of paper in the mail? Can you prove this is a real degree? 

I would not be surprised at all if someone googled the degree and program to see if it was real. Google will show conversations from this forum - they come up often - and other forums, the school's website, a Wikipedia page if it exists, and more info. Plenty of people believe what they find on Google. Google search wouldn't claim it matched your master's degree. That's not how search works. Many international degrees do not carry the weight that they are listed at in many countries. It's not just the US. Canada, Europe, Australia, and more have the same issues with many of this degrees.

It was a joke to mention the most powerful search engine in the world and ask, 'who believes google.'. Odd to think anything else; however, I appreciate the fire in your response. 

One thing to mention on what the US employer would think of a candidate with an international degree is not challenged nearly as much as proclaimed on forums like this. In 2022 the talent pool is global, and foreign degrees with a clear backstory set you apart from candidates vs. creating red flags.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing the Right PhD Program Education / Hospitality (online) Frost87b3 5 161 Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Frost87b3
  Any suggestion for online DBA doyouhowdo1 28 1,602 04-23-2024, 02:35 AM
Last Post: armado
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 66 4,978 04-19-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Stonybeach
  Most Affordable Online PhD in CompSci or Cybersecurity wiresandscreens 34 3,515 02-16-2024, 03:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 990 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 573 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
  Looking for 2 year DBA online Bob Sham 42 7,242 01-04-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Johann1
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 566 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  ABA Considers Accrediting Exclusively Online Law Schools Jonathan Whatley 1 476 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Texila American University - $7800 online PhD (multiple fields) Kalas 9 1,725 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983