Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ph.D. in Computer Science, Online
Hello Everyone!

So we are looking for options, most cost effective, to move from a Masters to a Ph.D. in Computer Science. I am trying to help my daughter have a solid plan that she can follow. She is looking to start her master's soon but wants to have a plan in place and options figured out.

We found Ph.D. in Computer Science program at Capitol Technology University.

What are other options for an Online Ph.D. in Computer Science, US or European-based university?

She is open to both US and Euro-style Ph.D. routes.

Thank you for any advice!
[-] The following 1 user Likes EDUxplorer's post:
  • lucillegyl
Mississippi State: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...er-Science

R1, state university, half the price of CapTech.
[-] The following 2 users Like Courcelles's post:
  • EDUxplorer, lucillegyl
Have you already checked online lists? Example: https://www.collegevaluesonline.com/rank...r-science/
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 2 users Like carrythenothing's post:
  • EDUxplorer, lucillegyl
The most cost effective would be to do a traditional, in-person PhD program. If she is a good enough student to get admitted to a decent program, she would likely receive a full tuition waiver and a stipend of $20k+/year depending on the institution. If she wants to become a professor (particularly at a better college/university/research institution), she also would likely make much better connections that would make that next step a lot more likely.

Of course, there is the opportunity cost of doing an in-person program, likely quitting work outside the PhD program or working less. She may also not want to teach at the college level, so the connections aren’t worth nearly as much.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-26-2022, 05:25 AM)Courcelles Wrote: Mississippi State: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...er-Science

R1, state university, half the price of CapTech.

Oh! Nice! Did not see this one previously. I will include it on her list to research.

(09-26-2022, 05:27 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: Have you already checked online lists? Example: https://www.collegevaluesonline.com/rank...r-science/

I did some looking online and didn't find much. Using the link you provided, I only see 1 result.
Northcentral University's Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science (PhD-CS). $3,282/class. Est $68,365 for the degree.

I also discovered on this same website this link: https://www.collegevaluesonline.com/rank...r-science/
It states that the tuition for a Ph.D. from Mississippi is $8,208 and from Capitol, is only $10,800. Both are figures I know to be misleading. Leading to why I'm so glad I found this website with the people who have such wonderful knowledge!  Big Grin

---

Does anyone know of good options in Europe? I saw a post last week, but can not find it now, stating that European PhDs are typically very cost affordable.

Thanks!
(09-26-2022, 09:59 AM)EDUxplorer Wrote: Does anyone know of good options in Europe? I saw a post last week, but can not find it now, stating that European PhDs are typically very cost affordable.

Thanks!

EU degrees are low cost/affordable for EU citizens. They're often significantly less affordable for people from outside the EU, including Americans.

In most countries, students need to be able to show that they have a significant lump sump in their bank account to cover rent, utilities, food, etc. It varies from country to country, but usually starts at about 8000-12000€ per year of study and goes up from there.

You'll also need to live near, or be able to easily travel to, the embassy or consulate in question for them to be able to process the student visa.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-26-2022, 10:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-26-2022, 09:59 AM)EDUxplorer Wrote: Does anyone know of good options in Europe? I saw a post last week, but can not find it now, stating that European PhDs are typically very cost affordable.

Thanks!

EU degrees are low cost/affordable for EU citizens. They're often significantly less affordable for people from outside the EU, including Americans.

In most countries, students need to be able to show that they have a significant lump sump in their bank account to cover rent, utilities, food, etc. It varies from country to country, but usually starts at about 8000-12000€ per year of study and goes up from there.

You'll also need to live near, or be able to easily travel to, the embassy or consulate in question for them to be able to process the student visa.

Blush

I was thinking more of an online option with a European University. Know of any? I have not been able to find a single one.
For PhDs? PhD programs are going to be almost entirely in-person. There aren't all that many universities, let alone European universities, that do doctoral-level studies online. The ones that do usually require travel to the university 1-2 times per year, especially for the dissertation defense at the end of the studies. You're more likely to find an American university that'll do an online doctoral program vs. a European university.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-26-2022, 10:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For PhDs? PhD programs are going to be almost entirely in-person. There aren't all that many universities, let alone European universities, that do doctoral-level studies online. The ones that do usually require travel to the university 1-2 times per year, especially for the dissertation defense at the end of the studies. You're more likely to find an American university that'll do an online doctoral program vs. a European university.

This does depend on whether it is an American-style PhD program (these exist more and more in Europe, and they aren't possible online), or the traditional EU model where it is just your research.

In that case it is not so much "online" as "distance". Nothing is happening online since there are no courses to take. Generally, the PhD can be done at a distance in Germany, Netherlands, Austria, the UK, and others.

(09-26-2022, 10:22 AM)EDUxplorer Wrote:
(09-26-2022, 10:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Thanks!

Blush

I was thinking more of an online option with a European University. Know of any? I have not been able to find a single one.

As mentioned above, it is possible to complete doctoral research at a distance. This is something very different to an online doctoral program.

However, two caveats. First, you usually already need a 2-year 120 ECTS/60 US credit master's that includes a thesis component. American masters are often at a much lower level since they are typically half as many credits, and some do not even have a thesis.

Second, if you aren't based at a university you still need to be based at a research institute of some sort. Distance PhD does not mean "I do research at home". Industry labs are fine. You probably need to travel a couple of times too. Honestly, if this was her intention, she is probably better off applying for a two-year master's overseas in a country where it is free or cheap (like Germany or the Netherlands) after finishing her bachelor's. Your master's thesis is typically written at the research institute you later plan to do doctoral research at and normally consists of the first paper that will be one of your three to four doctoral papers.

Since doctoral research is a job, she could expect to be paid a decent public salary in Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc. Current rate in Germany for full time is around 52k EUR per year, similar in Netherlands, more in the Nordics.

In the UK there are also a few distance PhD options, but again, they often ask Americans to do an MRes or MPhil first (because US Master's are 30 - 36 credits, on average). Distance PhD's can also be very expensive for international students (>20k a year), and they will also expect you to be working somewhere you can conduct your research. In the end, this probably works out more expensive than any US option.

--

Side note: for any non-US option she needs to get far away from the University of the People asap. It is not a regionally accredited university, as I am sure has been pointed out to you. It would be a massive black mark on her application. German and Austrian universities typically won't even accept a bachelor's from TESU because they allow PLA and "life experience" credit. I assume the Netherlands is similar. She would need to finish at UC or similar to be able to go outside the US in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • EDUxplorer
Doctoral Programme in Network and Information Technologies (Spain)

https://studies.uoc.edu/en/doctoral-prog...esentation

Online and in English

Brochure:

https://studies.uoc.edu/documents/12253/...mes_tv.pdf
[-] The following 2 users Like MrPanda's post:
  • EDUxplorer, thodeptrai

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any suggestion for online DBA doyouhowdo1 24 1,293 04-15-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: cc95
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 15 1,382 04-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Most Affordable Online PhD in CompSci or Cybersecurity wiresandscreens 34 3,432 02-16-2024, 03:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 937 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 558 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
  Looking for 2 year DBA online Bob Sham 42 7,093 01-04-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Johann1
  New Mexico Tech PhD in Computer Science Jonathan Whatley 1 407 12-29-2023, 12:22 PM
  Middle Georgia State : Doctor of Science in IT durain 6 1,631 12-19-2023, 02:44 AM
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 555 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  ABA Considers Accrediting Exclusively Online Law Schools Jonathan Whatley 1 464 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ashkir