Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mississippi State University online PhD in Computer Science
Hello,

What is everyone's thoughts on Mississippi State University's Ph.D in Computer Science offered at a distance?

https://www.online.msstate.edu/phcse

It's only 32 units if you already have a masters according to that website.

The tuition is only $531.25 per unit according to this page:

https://www.controller.msstate.edu/accou...s/tuition/

Does this seem too good to be true? A Ph.D. in Computer Science from an R1 university for less than $20k is unheard of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • lucillegyl
You have to complete the 31-credit MSCS through Mississippi State before you can continue onto the PhD.

"This program is an MS Admit Only program and does not allow for Direct Admissions straight from a bachelor’s degree program."

Under classified admissions instructions: "You will choose Master of Science in Computer Science as your Program of Study and Online Education as your campus."
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • lucillegyl
(05-04-2022, 06:23 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: You have to complete the 31-credit MSCS through Mississippi State before you can continue onto the PhD.

"This program is an MS Admit Only program and does not allow for Direct Admissions straight from a bachelor’s degree program."

Under classified admissions instructions: "You will choose Master of Science in Computer Science as your Program of Study and Online Education as your campus."

Ah, got it. That's similar to Columbia CVN. They used to offer a doctorate in computer science through CVN. The catch was that you had to complete the MSCS at Columbia first. Columbia has since removed that program altogether. Anyway, thanks for that info. I knew there had to be something to that.
Do you have to complete THEIR MSCS, though, or any MSCS? The wording is unclear.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-05-2022, 02:39 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Do you have to complete THEIR MSCS, though, or any MSCS? The wording is unclear.

You can read about the two options (direct admit and MS admit) on the department's website: https://www.cse.msstate.edu/grad/phd-cs/

Quote:The Ph.D. CS degree is a 63 credit program designed to be completed in 4 years for traditional students. Students with a previous M.S. must only complete 32 hours of post Master's coursework. Working with a major professor and guiding committee, students will select appropriate core, specialization, and elective courses and develop a research program. Preparedness for research work will be measured via examinations, and finally defended before a body of peers in the dissertation defense.
Our program has two options:
  • Direct Admit for students entering with only a B.S. or equivalent
  • M.S. Admit for students with a previous M.S. or equivalent

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
  • lucillegyl
$35k for a ms and PhD from a research university is a pretty good price. I actually have it on my list to apply for their masters program should I decide to pursue it.
(05-05-2022, 06:08 AM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(05-05-2022, 02:39 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Do you have to complete THEIR MSCS, though, or any MSCS? The wording is unclear.

You can read about the two options (direct admit and MS admit) on the department's website: https://www.cse.msstate.edu/grad/phd-cs/

Quote:The Ph.D. CS degree is a 63 credit program designed to be completed in 4 years for traditional students. Students with a previous M.S. must only complete 32 hours of post Master's coursework. Working with a major professor and guiding committee, students will select appropriate core, specialization, and elective courses and develop a research program. Preparedness for research work will be measured via examinations, and finally defended before a body of peers in the dissertation defense.
Our program has two options:
  • Direct Admit for students entering with only a B.S. or equivalent
  • M.S. Admit for students with a previous M.S. or equivalent

Actually, now that I took a closer look, I think Rachel has a point. If you look at the wording it says "a" previous M.S. which means to me that you can already have obtained your MSCS elsewhere. Maybe instead of speculating, I may end up just emailing the school for clarification.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • aleksa
(05-06-2022, 12:45 AM)ifomonay Wrote: Actually, now that I took a closer look, I think Rachel has a point. If you look at the wording it says "a" previous M.S. which means to me that you can already have obtained your MSCS elsewhere. Maybe instead of speculating, I may end up just emailing the school for clarification.

Please let us know if you get an answer from them, this would potentially be a great PhD if you can also transfer your MS from elsewhere. Thanks!
(05-06-2022, 05:54 AM)aleksa Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 12:45 AM)ifomonay Wrote: Actually, now that I took a closer look, I think Rachel has a point. If you look at the wording it says "a" previous M.S. which means to me that you can already have obtained your MSCS elsewhere. Maybe instead of speculating, I may end up just emailing the school for clarification.

Please let us know if you get an answer from them, this would potentially be a great PhD if you can also transfer your MS from elsewhere. Thanks!

That's for the MS admit route, but that option doesn't appear to be available to online students.

• aleksa
(05-06-2022, 05:54 AM)aleksa Wrote:

Wow they replied to my email very quickly. The MSCS does not need to be obtained at Mississippi State U. An MSCS from another school is acceptable for the MS Admit only category. One other update, however, is that she told me that the tuition+fees is $731.25/unit (there is a $200/unit fee for online programs). I mean $23k for a PhD in Computer Science from an R1 school... that's a steal!

This is another thing which I think is important. I had sent emails to other schools about their programs and they never replied. So I think it's impressive that Mississippi State takes students seriously. I mean it's after 3PM EDT on a Friday, right before the weekend, and for them to get back to me so soon I think is impressive.
[-] The following 6 users Like ifomonay's post:
  • aleksa, jch, Jonathan Whatley, lucillegyl, Pikachu, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sabi University Alpha 7 2,194 Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Choosing the Right PhD Program Education / Hospitality (online) Frost87b3 5 163 Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Frost87b3
  Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology Sarit1046 20 923 04-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Any suggestion for online DBA doyouhowdo1 28 1,602 04-23-2024, 02:35 AM
Last Post: armado
  Comptency based Doctor of Science program Randomkud1234 5 290 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 66 4,980 04-19-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Stonybeach
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 15 1,419 04-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 919 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 4,088 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Most Affordable Online PhD in CompSci or Cybersecurity wiresandscreens 34 3,518 02-16-2024, 03:31 AM