Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program
https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-...r-science/

This is interesting... ASU's BS in CS grads can get jobs at FAANG.
However, the program is not cheap. It may cost over $50k after you transfer liberal arts credits.
"Can get" doesn't mean guaranteed. Anyone with a degree from almost anywhere can get a FAANG job.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jsd, MNomadic
(02-27-2023, 06:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: "Can get" doesn't mean guaranteed. Anyone with a degree from almost anywhere can get a FAANG job.

Many without degrees can get a FAANG job as well.  My husband was offered a job at Amazon, he doesn't have a bachelor's degree in anything (but he does have 20+ years of experience).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
With the recent layoffs, I don't think anyone is currently looking at getting a job at any of the FAANG companies... Well, not just yet anyways, maybe when the tables get turned a little bit more in their favor. It's a volatile market for them at the moment... Having a Business/Comp Sci degree is still better than not having a degree at all!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If I personally wanted to get an ASU online degree from scratch this is what I would do:

So ASU does not accept ACE or NCCRS. But they do accept CLEP and DSST up to 60 credits of it. Their gen ed requirements are about 45 credits and I believe one could use CLEP and DSST to meet most (if not all) of them. They also accept AP and IB if people took those in HS.

Once that is done get a job at Starbucks working at least 20 hrs a week. Start doing ASU Universal Learner self-paced computer courses. And you can take both the intro to programming and intro to engineering courses. Then apply to ASU comp sci program, transfer in all CLEP, DSST. Fill out and have current FAFSA on file with ASU. Then hit 90 days at Starbucks.

At this point you'd be eligible for free ASU tuition and if everything is done right all your gen eds, free electives and even the intro major courses would be done. I believe you'd only need about 75 credits (maybe even less) or so left all in the major and UL tech electives. Thanks to 7 week terms and year round scheduling the rest of the degree could be done in two years or less for free. Then once I finish the degree quit starbucks.

Plus since the Starbucks commitment is only 20 hrs a week to get the tuition. It would be possible to find a second part-time job more relevant to computer science or somewhat related like entry level IT helpdesk even if it is just a few hrs a week.

Of course this assumes that the person has zero previous RA credit, but I've heard many particpants in Starbucks program have prior RA credit. So one might even have less credits to do. 30 credits must be completed at ASU though.
[-] The following 6 users Like natshar's post:
  • davewill, fromthedepths, jch, nomaduser, origamishuttle, Pikachu
ASU can take up to 64 credits from community colleges and up to 90 from 4 year schools. You need to complete a minimum of 30 at ASU.

You could take some of your credits at WGU/UMPI.

Transfer Guide
https://webapp4.asu.edu/transfercreditguide/app/home

Maricopa Community Colleges such as Chandler-Gilbert, Mesa, and Scottsdale all have transfer agreements with ASU so for specific courses, this may save you some $'s.

https://www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/tuition-rates
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
(03-01-2023, 07:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: ASU can take up to 64 credits from community colleges and up to 90 from 4 year schools. You need to complete a minimum of 30 at ASU.

You could take some of your credits at WGU/UMPI.

I've thought of that the thing is most most WGU/UMPI courses come in as free electives or elective credit only at ASU. I was even thinking at one point transferring WGU to a B&M school. But due to WGU's grading system and the course titles/numbers most of them outside of gen eds only transfer as elective credits (and that is what I've found for multiple schools).

I think WGU is great school to transfer into with prior credit but not a very good school to transfer credit from to another school. (outside of maybe the Big 3/schools mentioned on this forum I mean)
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • origamishuttle
While I generally like ASU as a school, and I applaud their innovative attitude, I also wonder if they're trying to do too much too fast.  Are they sacrificing quality for quantity?
(03-02-2023, 06:10 PM)Alpha Wrote: While I generally like ASU as a school, and I applaud their innovative attitude, I also wonder if they're trying to do too much too fast.  Are they sacrificing quality for quantity?

Considering they have a student population of 78,000 or so, they've kind of already gone there.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 533 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 261 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 386 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,357 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 315 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 743 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,754 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden